General Election

skygod

30 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

All this absolute pish about it being down to the parents is all very well and good, but what about deprived kids, what about those with no parents or good for nothing parents? What about those born into a junkie family, who's parents were born into a junkie family and are part of the never ending cycle where there future is mapped out before they leave the womb? What about them? Their parents aren't going to teach them s**t so keep on doing your check me out I'm a great parent s**t but we aren't talking about you or your kids. This is about those who rely on, in fact absolute need school to save then or they have not a chance in hell. 

you don't agree that parents should take a more active roll in their child's education ? 

That was my point in my post certainly wasn't trying to make out I was a great parent as you so politely put it 

I agree there should be support in place for children in the situations you mentioned but that doesn't nullify the fact that parents should take a very active role in their kids education 

do you have kids yourself ? 

Edited by Sp3ckyh0td0g81
Felt I should add

1 hour ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

spot on its easy to point the finger at the government for your childs lack of development, i have 2 children under the age of 2 and both me and the Mrs spend a great deal of time encouraging them to learn new words, identify colours and shapes etc and it is hard work every parent who takes this issue seriously will know that.  It takes alot of time and patience to help your child develop and the work begins the minute they are born, i also have a son who is 14 and a daughter who is 8 and we actively get involved in their schoolwork in the evenings going over what they have learned etc, somedays its a 2 min conversation other times it can take up a couple of hours especially with the 14 year old.  School is there to teach them of course it is but it is not the sole responsibilty of the government to ensure they are the best prepared for adult life.  That is down to the parents, to encourage your kids to take every opportunity to learn when they can, to challenge themselves and always aim to be better in everything they do.  I wish my parents had pushed me harder and supported my school life more actively rather than just send me to school and tell me to try hard.

I have a 14yr old and an 11yr old.  14yr old is exceptionally bright but her English skills are appalling.  This is due to her not being properly diagnosed with a very unusual brain disorder where her brain misinterprets here visual signals so that she can see what is immediately in front of her, but the peripheral vision is blurred.  so when she reads, she can see the word in front of her, but not the next one clearly and the next one after that is not even there.  Still expected to sit national 5's in all her subjects and get highers as well.  we pushed and were listened to only in Aberdeenshire, as she was top of the class in Ayrshire they didn't see an issue.  My youngest is in primary 7 and is at 2nd year level reading.  All kids are different and because we encouraged both, one who hasn't got an issue excels and the other is still ahead of the pack.

It is easy to blame the government, but local authorities decide their priorities with schools.  The sort of literacy issues extend beyond school and into the home and early years.  Chronic underinvestment for decades is at the root of this, and it will take years of proper investment and structured support to fix issues which come to light often years later.  McLean is always quick to shout Booo Hissss at the SNP, but the fault lies beyond the government here, although they and the administrations before them are not blameless, however the fault they have is the lack of foresight that local authorities would not step up to the plate.  (Remember local authorities are largely cross party affairs - so you cannot only blame one party here).

3 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

You really need to stop making up your own numbers - even you own party leader said that your direct taxation of higher rate payers would generate around £100 million , so wuite how ending the tax relief would generate billions is nonsense.

I know you're not very good with numbers ( 15 billion deficit and all that ), but if you google you'll find higher rate tax relief on pensions totals at least 7 billion per annum. A tidy sum. Now I know you won't want to touch the as it would upset your policy Of subsidising the middle classes, but it's not really fair to ask others to feather bed your retirement.

13 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

You really don't have many arguments, do you? As Brian says, Labour can't afford the centre left agenda the SNP claim to approve of according to you, but somehow the SNP will finance a social and economic utopia with a bigger deficit than Greece. It truly is la la land.

no matter how much you quote this deficit worse than Greece mince, it won't make it any more true or accurate.  We have shown you so many times how this number and statement is complete sh1te, but you continue to spout this ridiculous propaganda with the glee of a drunken chimp.  No when you start to recognise that it is mince and have a grown up conversation perhaps more will listen to you.  Until then you will continue to be ridiculed by everyone else other than Brian, and Bham - your wee greeny pals.

20 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

All this absolute pish about it being down to the parents is all very well and good, but what about deprived kids, what about those with no parents or good for nothing parents? What about those born into a junkie family, who's parents were born into a junkie family and are part of the never ending cycle where there future is mapped out before they leave the womb? What about them? Their parents aren't going to teach them s**t so keep on doing your check me out I'm a great parent s**t but we aren't talking about you or your kids. This is about those who rely on, in fact absolute need school to save then or they have not a chance in hell. 

Despite your rather industrial language I do agree with your point that junkie parents generally will produce under achieving and very likely junkie children. The thing is teachers, no matter how dedicated they may be and in some deprived areas their dedication goes beyond anything in their job description, have very little influence on outcomes.

Back to my original point that if you want better outcomes for weans you have to start "kicking" the parents an not "kicking" the teachers harder or coming out with some arty farty new education "initiative."

Applying pressure to the parents is by no means easy. For example all the capping their benefits idea does is hit the weans (and probably the wummin in an abusive relationship as this rape clause shoutin match has demonstrated). You have to find some way of encouraging the parents to encourage the weans. Answers on a post card.

And by the way I'd start fund raising for education by abolishing charitable tax relief on private schools there really is a case of government benefits for the rich and its nothing to do with the SNP.

4 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I know you're not very good with numbers ( 15 billion deficit and all that ), but if you google you'll find higher rate tax relief on pensions totals at least 7 billion per annum. A tidy sum. Now I know you won't want to touch the as it would upset your policy Of subsidising the middle classes, but it's not really fair to ask others to feather bed your retirement.

Again with the 15 billion number, you keep spouting these daft numbers - sometimes its 7, others its 10 then the next time it is 15.  ALL of them are complete nonsense, and again for you being hard of understanding.  Any deficit comes from the estimated datasets used in GERS (24 of 26 to be precise), and as Scotland has a budget which must be legally balanced any deficit must come form the portion of spending which we do not control (75% of the total in case you had forgotten) and which the UK government simply guesses how much should be apportioned to Scotland as there really are no methods to actually identify properly what the true numbers are.

You decide to take everything this system, which it's originator has admitted was "designed to show that the devolved administrations were wholly reliant upon the UK for its existence", as gospel and beyond reproach.  The sensible people recognise them for what they are and largely ignore their significance on reality other than as a political tool for the union.

9 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

no matter how much you quote this deficit worse than Greece mince, it won't make it any more true or accurate.  We have shown you so many times how this number and statement is complete sh1te, but you continue to spout this ridiculous propaganda with the glee of a drunken chimp.  No when you start to recognise that it is mince and have a grown up conversation perhaps more will listen to you.  Until then you will continue to be ridiculed by everyone else other than Brian, and Bham - your wee greeny pals.

You think you're not ridiculed? Dear oh dear. The mince I spout is spouted by far more qualified people than you or me. I'm happy to go with them. By the way most figures in economics are estimates, but that mean the deficit could be even worse, not necessarily better. 

41 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Not really. They won't do away with financial assistance to poorer students and thousands of further education places at the same time. Keep up.

Are you saying poorer students in Scotland don't qualify for financial assistance? 

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

You really don't have many arguments, do you? As Brian says, Labour can't afford the centre left agenda the SNP claim to approve of according to you, but somehow the SNP will finance a social and economic utopia with a bigger deficit than Greece. It truly is la la land.

That's rich someone supporting Brian, he just comes on here swearing all the time. Anyway, I'm glad I have a life and don't troll looking for stories made up by your right wing rags. Then come on spouting s**te hoping to get into an argument about who's right and who's wrong. At the end of the day you will vote Labour, SNP will lose seats t your other party, you will come on smirking as usual, but Scotland will still be a s**tehole governed by right wing toffs.

PS taken leaf out of B

Edited by Mcilroy56
More

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

The mince I spout is spouted by far more qualified people than you or me.

At least you can admit its mince.  By the way you do realise that GERS represents how Scotland is managed by the union in the union and do not have any real bearing on what an independent nation would look like?

So please keep going as your numbers are hardly a ringing endorsement of your beloved union.

Edited by Beaker71

30 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

Stick to the question cherry ya f**king doughnut. 

You must be watching a different programme, she has answered everything asked, and like all politicians on the panel put their own spin on it. The others are just the same, why just pick on Cherry

16 hours ago, Mcilroy56 said:

They seem to agree that they have a lot in common, perhaps the SNP in South Ayrshire aren't as far right as some would believe

I believe the same is happening in Renfrewshire as well.

So does this mean that because they have gotten into bed with the Red Tories who are in bed with the Blue Tories that we can, unequivocally, now call the SNP the Tartan Tories? :2:

6 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

I believe the same is happening in Renfrewshire as well.

So does this mean that because they have gotten into bed with the Red Tories who are in bed with the Blue Tories that we can, unequivocally, now call the SNP the Tartan Tories? :2:

Can we call McLean a Tartan Tosspot now? Or just a Tosspot?

Anyway, nice of Labour to copy several SNP flagship policies in their Manifesto.

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Anyway, nice of Labour to copy several SNP flagship policies in their Manifesto.

I got my first ever warning yesterday. Have you been grassing, squirrel :)

37 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I wonder if tosspot is reportable? Nah, I can take the rough with the smooth.

How has Brian survived on here? That's the mystery.

14 hours ago, Mcilroy56 said:

That's rich someone supporting Brian, he just comes on here swearing all the time. Anyway, I'm glad I have a life and don't troll looking for stories made up by your right wing rags. Then come on spouting s**te hoping to get into an argument about who's right and who's wrong. At the end of the day you will vote Labour, SNP will lose seats t your other party, you will come on smirking as usual, but Scotland will still be a s**tehole governed by right wing toffs.

PS taken leaf out of B

So no answer to how the SNP can afford utopia with a 15 billion deficit but not Labour.