Remember when the media cared?

Squirrelhumper

Just appeared on my timehop. Murray is a pr1ck most of the time but makes a good point about John Barnes. He has next to no inclination to report on the saga of the last years which is remarkable given his position as a fan and a journo.

https://twitter.com/mrewanmurray/status/725036418632916995

Edited by Squirrelhumper

John Barnes is in MJ's pocket and rarely says anything critical of him.  Only really Stephen McGowan from the Daily Mail has taken issue with MJ and highlighted it in his reporting and on social media.  Scott McLymont from STV has highlighted MJ's shortcomings on Twitter to a degree.

The media on the whole do not care and at the moment are far too engrossed in Craig Whyte's trial to give a monkey's jizz about anything else.  

I've always wondered why no one In the media has really gone after him. I know it's not likely to sell vast amounts of newspapers but surely it would be a decent scalp for a journo to expose him and his misdemeanours. 

Is it the threat of legal action that puts people off. Even pundits on the radio when they do bother to talk about MJ seemed restrained. Is it the confidentiality clauses he's had people sign that make it harder to get hold of proper evidence?

Why would you expose yourself to the risk of political/ journalistic suicide going after someone who you are unable to substantiate any evidence of criminal misdemeanour's from.

John Barnes has Kilmarnock affiliations but he has never, as far as I'm aware, ever declared he is a Killie Diehard "at all cost" although he does try and talk us up whenever possible. Did he not help chair a recent fan event? If I were him I'd be asking myself " why do I bother"

11 hours ago, KP by the sea said:

Why would you expose yourself to the risk of political/ journalistic suicide going after someone who you are unable to substantiate any evidence of criminal misdemeanour's from.

John Barnes has Kilmarnock affiliations but he has never, as far as I'm aware, ever declared he is a Killie Diehard "at all cost" although he does try and talk us up whenever possible. Did he not help chair a recent fan event? If I were him I'd be asking myself " why do I bother"

I'm pretty sure many killie fans think likewise when trying to get the media to give a balanced report on the shambles at the club. 

Barnes is a shareholder BTW 

I've banged on about this for years .... there is a story to be told about what has gone on, and continues to go on, behind the scenes at RP but no journalist has the ball to go after it.

Same as the Deadco / Sevco / Administration / Liquidation saga ..... they all stuck their heads in the sand so as not to lose favour with David Murray and his lavish lunches until it was to big to ignore any longer .... even then there was no hurry to get to the bottom of it all.

As said the issues been ongoing for some time ---- for example when Russel Smith left the board  that would been ideal story for someone to build on ---but again it was not covered in any great detail

Though been waiting for a lazy journalist to put 2+2 together to make 5 --and come up with 2 line " story" ---

"Fans of Kilmarnock set to make dramatic U turn and invest in Club In a move which backs the current board including long time Director MJ after years of them campaigning for him to leave " 

Edited by Scouser2

There could be two very good reasons for not following up the story ...

1. Financial - the amount of time needed to investigate would not add to the readership/listeners. TBH nobody cares about our story except a small section of our support.

2 Opinion - he might not agree with us (but perfectly entitled to his own opinion).

If our supporters aren't doing anything to attract publicity we can't expect journalists to report on a non-story.

Today the front page of the Sun covers the events at Ibrox yesterday including a photograph of the moron making monkey gestures. The Sunday Mail and most of the other Scottish Sunday newspapers chose to ignore the incidents or put them on inside pages. After all it is the mighty Sevco and they can't offend their fans.

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

If our supporters aren't doing anything to attract publicity we can't expect journalists to report on a non-story.

Today the front page of the Sun covers the events at Ibrox yesterday including a photograph of the moron making monkey gestures. The Sunday Mail and most of the other Scottish Sunday newspapers chose to ignore the incidents or put them on inside pages. After all it is the mighty Sevco and they can't offend their fans.

I saw this on the highlights this morning 

IMG_3286.PNG

IMG_3287.PNGAlso saw Griffiths holding up a battery that someone had launched onto the park drawing the officials attention to it 

IMG_3288.PNG

Edited by Sp3ckyh0td0g81
Pic of Griffiths

On 26/04/2017 at 9:45 AM, Mojike and Bod said:

John Barnes is in MJ's pocket and rarely says anything critical of him.  Only really Stephen McGowan from the Daily Mail has taken issue with MJ and highlighted it in his reporting and on social media.  Scott McLymont from STV has highlighted MJ's shortcomings on Twitter to a degree.

The media on the whole do not care and at the moment are far too engrossed in Craig Whyte's trial to give a monkey's jizz about anything else.  

Re John Barnes, an utter figment of your imagination.... Unless you have evidence to the contrary? 

Edited by C4mmy31

I wont go as far to say John Barnes or any other Journalist is in MJ's pocket, but I am extremely disappointed by the lack of any investigative journalism into the many red flags at killie. You would have thought after the Rangers fiasco they would have taken an increased look at club mismanagement in Scotland.