Give it Jig

Gaffer

3 minutes ago, Bbk said:

I'm happy he has finally been appointed and I wish him all the best in the job and there is a big difference in his appointment than the previous three managers in that he played at a higher level than them though unfortunately for one of the twisted sisters but at least he was a proven winner for them and I hope he can bring us that level in his first full time managers role all the best Lee!

So did Tommy Burns. 

And the Scottish Cup winning Bobby Williamson. 

Totally agree with your point on those two legends 100% but I was only thinking of the last three muppets we have had and if Lee can give us some of the great times those two plus mixu and Kenny gave us then it will be happy days again!

Don't know if others agree, but here goes.....

Perhaps "Jig" should no longer be used when we are referring to Lee... It is a nickname synonimous with Rangers, as it was their fans who tagged him with it, due to his defending at times.

He has moved on and is one of US now, from what I can gather he isn't even a Rangers fan but brought up supporting Motherwell, where some of his family still hold season tickets for Fir Park.

I'm not trying to start an argument here but something I've been thinking about. As Lee himself says it's a new dawn and I feel it implies his loyalties lie elsewhere.

I believe he really has the best interests of our club at heart and will be the right guy to get the job done.

Let others refer to him as they like.... 

Thoughts? 

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Pretty sure the Jig nickname started at Motherwell.

Really? .... I understood they started it after he moved into defence at Ibrox, because they reckoned he fell to pieces when defending in the box, one of my mates who supports them must be on the windup then...... 

Edited by C4mmy31

3 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Are you thinking along the line of St Johnstone ?..... Solid if unspectacular, that's what come to mind with me.

They won 17 league games last season. We won 9 so unfortunately I think we are a long way short of that level but that is a realistic longer term target. We have been there before  

Winning 12 games (I don't know when we last did that) and improving our home results would be decent progress. 

I really believe that the top 5 places are taken already so if we are battling for 6th to 9th rather than 10th to 12th I would be happy with that. 

18 minutes ago, trenwick said:

Good luck big man

Did lee clark not play top flight english football, fa cup final & champions league with newcastle just a bit better that spl im sure

McCulloch did all of these as well apart from an FA cup final. Not sure if he had a league cup final with Wigan? He was also an internationalist so his record as a player was very decent. 

17 minutes ago, historyman said:

They won 17 league games last season. We won 9 so unfortunately I think we are a long way short of that level but that is a realistic longer term target. We have been there before  

Winning 12 games (I don't know when we last did that) and improving our home results would be decent progress. 

I really believe that the top 5 places are taken already so if we are battling for 6th to 9th rather than 10th to 12th I would be happy with that. 

Without checking, probably around the Tommy Burns era?

14 minutes ago, historyman said:

I don't think we are too far behind St Johnstone if we can sort our home form out. We dropped two points to Accies at home, two to ICT, six to Motherwell, three to Ross County and three to Dundee. Had we been able to pick up those points which is obviously a huge ask we be comfortably fifth just behind Saints. Even turning a few into wins would've seen us pip Partick to top six. 

Next year will be as open as it's been in a long while. Celtic I expect to continue their dominance. I think Sevco will be a better side as well. Aberdeen are perhaps hit and miss depending on how they get through the transfer window. Those three I expect to break clear and take points of everyone else. After that it's fair game. Hearts who knows what is going on. Hibs are a bit of an unknown then there isn't much between the rest. All capable of beating each other on the day. 

As a mark of progress it'd be good to put up a fight for top six and be safe before the split. 

17 minutes ago, skygod said:

According to his autobiography, it started at Cumbernauld United.

Something about a local newspaper headline saying "Gigantic Schoolkid Scores Again". 

11 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Cheers for the info @skygod, I will be able to tell my mate he is talking sh*te now lol.

If they were to pick a random Scottish football fan and plunk him on family fortunes 

Les Dennis steps up and says 

"we surveyed 100 people and asked them which club did Jig play for ?" 

When they hit their buzzer they would be saying R****ers & it would be the top answer 

you'd be lucky if Cumbernauld United made it on the list 

the Jig tag is synonymous with them 

IMG_3398.PNG

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

....from what I can gather he isn't even a Rangers fan but brought up supporting Motherwell, where some of his family still hold season tickets for Fir Park.

Again according to his autobiography, his parents are both Rangers-mad and "drilled it" into Lee and his two brothers.    

30 minutes ago, skygod said:

Again according to his autobiography, his parents are both Rangers-mad and "drilled it" into Lee and his two brothers.    

There were a few posts on the Motherwell P&B thread around the time we played them end of season, hoping Lee would do his brother a favour to get them safe from the playoff place, they mentioned his brother was a season ticket holder at Fir Park, along with other family members.... His brother must have seen the light lol.

Edited by C4mmy31

No one could have been a bigger fanatic of another club than the late, great Tommy Burns and he did ok for us. Bobby Williamson as well

I think we need to stop this distracting talk and speculation and move on. First and foremost he is a professional - how cares what team he supported as a kid?

5 hours ago, historyman said:

First and foremost he is a professional - how cares what team he supported as a kid?

Agreed, he is a professional and will want to do his best for the club, the same as any other manager.

For that reason, it's immaterial who he used to support so I don't see the harm in discussing it.

Whether it was Motherwell, Rangers or somebody else, he will want to beat them the same as any other club.

9 hours ago, historyman said:

9 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Without checking, probably around the Tommy Burns era?

2010/11 (we actually won 13 games). The last time we made the top 6.

We did win 12 in the Premier under TB, but it was a 44 game season.

Edited by Fankle

Congrats Lee, deserves his chance as permanent manger after steadying the ship in interim charge. 

Really impressed with some of things he was saying in the interviews yesterday especially about uniting the fans and community to get people back to RP.

Feeling really positive about the season ahead with Lee in charge.