Turntable + Vinyl

kilm53

As a lad I had a turntable with a start of a collection of music on vinyl.

i joined the Army and kept my vinyl eventually buying a Technics hi fi which I had for umpteen years, I then left the Army and bought a Technics mini hi fi with no turntable so cds were bought and old vinyl went.

I moved back to Scotland nearly 5 years ago and purchased a new hi fi and got rid of the mini hi fi,still buying cds.

i recently visited an old friend who still has his vinyl collection from our youthful days...the quality of the sound is so much better that I have decided to buy a turntable to add to my hi fi and get back to buying vinyl..I now regret selling my Technics hi fi and vinyl..but in my elderly years I will be able hunt and purchase some of my old vinyl and again listen to quality sounds...

just wondered if if anyone else still has their vinyl from there youth....

I've got all the vinyl that I started buying in my early teens. I stopped counting after about 5000 LP's & that was quite a few years ago. Still can't get out of the habit of buying vinyl. Great thing now is that there are lots of re-issues now which have been mastered from the original analogue tapes. The new Pink Floyds, Van Morrison, Doors etc & lots of newer bands, sound even better than originals. Watch out for the cheaper reissues, some of them have been mastered from CD/digital copies. Music on Vinyl label & Rhino reissues are great, Back to Black not so good. A quick google will tell you best ones to buy.

Big Sparra Vinyl in Ayr sells Rega Turntable. Great sounding UK turntable which come with an Arm & Cartridge. Start from about £200. Or even cheaper is the Project 1 turntable that you can buy in Glasgow. A lot of old vinyl is really expensive especially original releases but you can buy lots of others really cheap or even get them given to you by friends & family free gratis which has happened to me a few times.   

Don't get bitten by the Hi-Fi Turntable bug, my last cartridge for my Linn turntable cost just over a grand.

Last week i was on ebay looking for an old walkman that plays cassettes as i was more of a tape generation than vinyl, when i started listening to music, i genuinely believe Spotify has ruined my enjoyment of music these days, too easy to skip songs, far too much choice, the days of buying an album in the shop taking it home and listening the life out of it was one past time i took for granted as now if there is a track im not keen on its just a quick skip, when i was younger you put the album on it played from start to finish, and aye there was sometimes songs you werent too fussed about but you still knew them word for word and you almost had a relationship with every album you owned. I considered vinyl but 2 of my kids are under 2 and it would just be another thing they could try and break while Dad is at work, i think the older formats of music should be used at every opportunity and when my kids are old enough i will encourage them to visit them and listen to music the way i did as a kid

I still primarily listen to vinyl when at home. My uncle is lucky enough to own a Linn deck and it's absolutely beautiful work of art. Unfortunately I don't have the money he does.

Pioneer still make turntables and I got one from Santa last year. Great wee piece of kit and really didn't break the bank.

17 minutes ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

I still primarily listen to vinyl when at home. My uncle is lucky enough to own a Linn deck and it's absolutely beautiful work of art. Unfortunately I don't have the money he does.

Pioneer still make turntables and I got one from Santa last year. Great wee piece of kit and really didn't break the bank.

My 1st turntable was a Pioneer PL12D. My mate bought it off me when I got my Linn Sondek in 1984. He still uses the Pioneer, it's went with him to South Africa & now Dubai. My Linn was £450 when I bought it in 84. I have kept it up to date with all the upgrades apart from the last few years as they are just too expensive now. I bought an ex-dem arm & 2nd hand Linn amps over the years and they sound brilliant. Prices have really rocketed lately though.

Lots of good budget & mid price turntables out there now. 

2 hours ago, harley said:

My 1st turntable was a Pioneer PL12D. My mate bought it off me when I got my Linn Sondek in 1984. He still uses the Pioneer, it's went with him to South Africa & now Dubai. My Linn was £450 when I bought it in 84. I have kept it up to date with all the upgrades apart from the last few years as they are just too expensive now. I bought an ex-dem arm & 2nd hand Linn amps over the years and they sound brilliant. Prices have really rocketed lately though.

Lots of good budget & mid price turntables out there now. 

No Idea what make it is, but my uncle has his paired up with a cracking valved amplifier with all the valves exposed on the top. His set-up his a sight to behold and I'm insanely jealous. Currently my turntable is only running through my 5.1 soundbar aux in the "mancave" sounds really decent but could be a lot better if money was no object.

I'd love a Linn deck, you're a lucky man.

I had the technics 1210's, solid decks and very much up to the job. Decent mixer (changed many times over many years) and then plug it into whatever sound system you wanted.

A wee query about the re-issue vinyl being released.... Does it reduce the value of the original releases or have they maintained their price?

1 hour ago, psv_killie said:

I had the technics 1210's, solid decks and very much up to the job. Decent mixer (changed many times over many years) and then plug it into whatever sound system you wanted.

A wee query about the re-issue vinyl being released.... Does it reduce the value of the original releases or have they maintained their price?

If anything the prices of the originals go up. The reissues introduce lots of new, younger fans to older bands/artists. There is always a big market for people looking for the very 1st original pressings. These guys will check out the matrix numbers for the stamper version used.

On the Technics they are great decks & probably one of the best for DJ's as you can scratch with them due to them being direct drive. The audiophile decks like Linn, the top end Rega's & others have a belt drive & usually a 3 point sprung chassis. Can't scratch with those but they do bring a lot of info out of your vinyl that you probably didn't hear before. 

The old adage comes to mind. Rubbish in - Rubbish out. If you are going for a Hi-Fi system spend most on a good front end 1st. You can spend thousands on amps & speakers but they won't improve the crap that's fed into them. 

13 minutes ago, Killieboykfc said:

Love buying records. Spent a fair bit on record store day however usually use juno records to buy online, they have literally everything and all for very good prices. 

Juno are great. very quick service & a great selection of all types of music. What Records are another with great prices but not usually as quick as Juno.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

I didn't buy one no, is it still in working order ? I was looking for a Walkman and then was going to buy a load of albums etc what you got for selling ? 

I've dug it out and it's not working.

Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

My son still has  a Sony MiniDisc Walkman we bought for him in Germany with 3 Mini Discs..one bring Michael Jackson album Thriller ...still works I think ...these were the future according to Sony ..but they died a death pretty quick.

Edited by kilm53

I had turntables years ago and moved over to Pioneer CDJ's. Over past year i've started collection of vinyl again, mostly mid-90's house, and bought the new Pioneer PLX-500 turntables which are very good for what I am looking for. I mostly use Discogs to get my records but have found a shop in Glasgow (Palais De Danse) which stocks a lot of the genres I like. I've also bought a couple from the record shop in Kilwinning (Rare Trade) but they stock basically everything barring the stuff I like!

1 hour ago, Merk said:

Now closed down as well, pretty much went after RSD.

That's a shame, they appeared to be doing well with their live events etc... It must be hard to make much profit from trading vinyl unless you happen to pick up some rare ones on the cheap.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

That's a shame, they appeared to be doing well with their live events etc... It must be hard to make much profit from trading vinyl unless you happen to pick up some rare ones on the cheap.

I was only in twice and both times I felt like the 2nd hand section was akin to a jumble sale and really disorganised.  Completely opposite to Big Sparra in Ayr which is an immaculate wee place.  Both trade online but I think Big Sparra gets far more footfall given its large town location.