Woodywatch

Given some of his defenders at times seemed to be working against him that was an outstanding performance. Got to admit there is a bit of pride this weekend in the young player both our own and Woody given how they have performed on an international stage. We all thought they had something about them and they are performing on big stages for young players

I just keep thinking about the guy that sits behind me giving him a torrid time from the minute he arrived to the minute he left 

"He's too slow" he didn't quite grasp that a keeper can actually look for an option rather than hoof it up the park 

"He disnae come off his line" no matter whether he should or shouldn't have 

"He should of saved that" mostly when he wouldn't have have got anywhere near it if he was Neur 

and the classic "Cmoon yoooou" just randomly through the 90 mins 

i have a wee smile every time I see this thread updating with another cracking performance from him 

i hope that guys been watching 

giphy.gif

Edited by Sp3ckyh0td0g81

I have to admit although i thought woodman was a quality goalkeeper for us i wouldnt have had him down as a world champion and golden glove winner to boot, yes its U20s but thats still a phenomenal achievement.

much like the poster above, i wonder what the woman who sits a couple of rows behind me has to say. She screamed every time the ball went into the box, shouted for macdonald from the first minute of every game and used to go into bizarre tirades about not coming out for crosses which were about 15 yards out from the goal. 

Anyway, even though he is Newcastles player, it has to reflect well on us and Scottish Football that he can train and play up here for months then go straight off and achieve what he has.

Edited by Tom061087

Was a critic of the boy at first but he won me over in the last few months and as has been said all credit to him for his performances in this tournament and the fact that we can say a world cup winner played for us. Also many congratulations to Ian Wilson,Adam Frizzell and Greg Taylor for their parts in the Scotland teams third place finish!

1 hour ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

I just keep thinking about the guy that sits behind me giving him a torrid time from the minute he arrived to the minute he left 

"He's too slow" he didn't quite grasp that a keeper can actually look for an option rather than hoof it up the park 

"He disnae come off his line" no matter whether he should or shouldn't have 

"He should of saved that" mostly when he wouldn't have have got anywhere near it if he was Neur 

and the classic "Cmoon yoooou" just randomly through the 90 mins 

i have a wee smile every time I see this thread updating with another cracking performance from him 

i hope that guys been watching 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Tom061087 said:

I have to admit although i thought woodman was a quality goalkeeper for us i wouldnt have had him down as a world champion and golden glove winner to boot, yes its U20s but thats still a phenomenal achievement.

much like the poster above, i wonder what the woman who sits a couple of rows behind me has to say. She screamed every time the ball went into the box, shouted for macdonald from the first minute of every game and used to go into bizarre tirades about not coming out for crosses which were about 15 yards out from the goal. 

Anyway, even though he is Newcastles player, it has to reflect well on us and Scottish Football that he can train and play up here for months then go straight off and achieve what he has.

Perhaps you guys should jog their memory or inform them of Woody's close season antics at the first game of the season lol.

Congrats to Freddie and we maybe didn't realise it at the time but I suspect he will become a full England International goalkeeper with a great high profile football career. The fact he played for us last season should not be overlooked by other teams with young stars to loan out as we will give them a chance to develop and mature. Our own young stars have also performed heroically and must get priority because home grown talent is our future. A balance is the best route between these options ------ lets get it right.

Chances of Freddie coming back for another loan seem unlikely now in view of this exposure but we thank him for his services and I will remember our friend Imrie at Hamilton coming over to Freddie to recognise that impossible save he pulled off involving the two of them in the last post split game at Hamilton.

Well done Freddie.

I wonder if we would have a chance of getting Woody back? He would appear to be down the pecking order at Newcastle, might be worth a phone call to Rafa......

Newcastle will push to sign West Ham goalkeeper Adrian if they cannot land Pepe Reina.

Reina is Toon boss Rafa Benitez’s top target this summer.

The Napoli goalkeeper is pondering a return to the Premier League.

But the Sun on Sunday claim Newcastle have other options if Reina decides to stay in Italy.

And Adrian is top of their list, with West Ham themselves eyeing a swoop for Joe Hart. 

Aside from the fact Newcastle may have their reservations about Scottish Football the biggest issue is probably what kind of deal Lee Clark negotiated with them for Woodman. Danny Mills made a comment today during the match about the players on the park for England saying most would be on £20k+ a week and out of reach for Championship clubs on a permanent deal. If Woodman is on that I doubt we'd be in a position to pay 10% a week. Clark went to great lengths to tell us the Newcastle lads were here on good deals because of his history, friends and contacts

Rafa Benitez has offered Freddie Woodman and Adam Armstrong plenty of encouragement for next season following their parts in England’s Under-20 World Cup triumph.

The Toon goalkeeper has been one of the stars of the tournament and saved a penalty in the final against Venezuela in South Korea.

Armstrong was an unused sub in the final but played his part on the road to the final showpiece for ex- Newcastle coach Paul Simpson’s side.

Benitez released a statement on his personal website after the game, and said: “England has just won the U-20 World Cup Tournement in South Korea.

“Congratulations to everyone for a great achievement, but especially to two of our players, Freddie Woodman and Adam Armstrong, both part of the England team.

“It has been a fantastic experience for their development.

“Let’s enjoy it for a while and be sure you will be ready for the next season.”

Armstrong and Woodman will return to training with the first team squad on July 3.

The pair were loaned out last season to Barnsley and Kilmarnock respectively, but they will get a chance to shine in United’s pre-season matches before Benitez decides their next step.

(Newcastle Chronicle)