Woodywatch

He'll go where Rafa and Beardsley tell him to.

World Cup winner Freddie Woodman wants to return to Kilmarnock.

But the England Under-20 star must wait on any move until his club Newcastle make a decision on his future and next destination.

The St James’s Park kid tuned up for the tournament with an excellent six-month loan spell at Rugby Park.

Woodman savoured his time at Killie and Record Sport understands the Londoner is keen to return for a second spell in Scotland.

Magpies manager Rafa Benitez and his coaching staff will have the final say on where their starlet goes and meetings to decide have yet to take place – but Killie is a real option.

Woodman has three years of his contract at St James’s Park to run but, with Benitez’s team booking a return ticket to the English Premier League, the youngster will be loaned again.

Having sent him to Hartlepool and Crawley before Killie, Newcastle are plotting the next step for their No.1. Before leaving for South Korea, Woodman said: “I chose to go to Kilmarnock because of the bigger games you get to play in, the pressure games. You also get experience of playing in front of big crowds, too.

“I’ve been on loan in England’s League One and Two and this is miles better.

"What sells it is that we played Rangers, Celtic and Hearts in a week. Not many people my age get to go to Celtic Park and face 60,000 fans. You can’t get that in England outside of the Premier League.”

(Record)

Lee McCulloch last night lifted the lid on the astounding level of dedication that has hoisted Kilmarnock loan star Freddie Woodman to the top of the world.

The Rugby Park gaffer was thrilled for the English goalie after his outstanding performances at the Under-20 World Cup in South Korea led to the ultimate prize.

Woodman, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Killie, saved a penalty kick in Sunday’s Final to secure a fourth clean sheet of the tournament and with it a 1-0 win over Venezuela.

The 20-year-old made it a double on the silverware front after he picked up the Golden Glove award for best No.1.

McCulloch was chuffed for the kid, albeit not surprised after Woodman proved a revelation at Rugby Park following his move from Newcastle in January.

And the Killie manager is adamant his success is down to graft put in behind the scenes.

McCulloch said: “Freddie has done incredibly well. A World Cup winner is something that is just sensational for him.

“But he deserves all of the success he’s getting because he has the best attitude I have ever seen in football – seriously.

“Some of the things would take you by surprise. For example, Freddie pays out of his pocket for someone to train him in his strength and conditioning work.

“He gets all of his food, which is sent up to him, weighed before he eats it to make sure everything is spot on.

“I’m pretty sure he has a psychologist who does work with him as well – he is the ultimate professional.

“At the age of 19 he was setting an example to everyone around the club. Freddie deserves it.

“He has a wee saying about hard work paying off and he is the perfect example of that. There is not a harder worker than him.”

McCulloch insists the keeper’s attitude is equally as important as his talent between the sticks.

The Englishman’s displays in Ayrshire justified former boss Lee Clark’s decision to sign him despite fans’ favourite Jamie MacDonald waiting in reserve.

Woodman didn’t doubt he’d succeed – he backed his ability.

But, while outstanding for Killie, he remained adamant his experience at Rugby Park and in the Scottish top flight was every bit as good for him – a theory that proved correct in South Korea.

McCulloch said: “Freddie is a very level-headed young lad and I’m sure that helped him in the World Cup as it certainly helped him at Kilmarnock.

“Whenever you speak with him it’s all about positivity and winning. Freddie was good to have around the group and you wouldn’t find anyone who would have a bad word to say about him.

“That’s exactly what you want in a dressing room – a player with a good personality and rapport with everyone else.

“We had an excellent group and Freddie fitted straight into it. Working with Jamie has helped Freddie and I’m sure Jamie would tell you it’s the same the other way around as he has been able to pick up things to make him a better goalkeeper as well.

“Young Devlin Mackay is also benefiting and has been coming into training at night. You can never have enough good influences among a group.”

Killie fans are now hoping Woodman returns to Rugby Park.

Newcastle will control that situation although, regardless of what happens, his success is bound to have a positive influence on any club considering sending players on loan to Rugby Park.

Such is the detail England’s major clubs go into these days, expert analysis is done on clubs before youngsters are put into their care. And Woodman’s progress as well as that of several others who played first-team football last term has proved Killie is an excellent place to develop.

McCulloch said: “I was buzzing for Freddie and we have exchanged texts back and forth throughout the tournament. But it was also nice for us as a club.

“I hope this is a reflection of Kilmarnock as well as Freddie.

“He deserves all of the credit. He has put in the hard work to get to South Korea and the performances to get his hands on a World Cup winners’ medal.

“But I’d like to think we have been good for Freddie too.”

(Record)

Edited by skygod

15 minutes ago, skygod said:

He'll go where Rafa and Beardsley tell him to.

you love that line.

Of course they will have the final say but i think your idea that it will be a one sided dictatorship is wrong.

The lad will now be the number 1 prospect for the future of the English goalkeeper position.

He has just won the World Cup.

the World Cup.

Although they will have the final say, i can guarentee they will be making sure he is happy with any arrangements. 

That is where the chance of him returning comes from. 

if he wants to come back up here, and the club can agree terms then i think Rafa and Beardsley would be quite happy for him to continue his development in the top flight of Scottish football.

I'm not saying he won't come back but we need to manage our expectations.

For all the matches in front of "full houses" at Ibrox and Parkhead, most matches are in front of small crowds and many on a surface he won't play on in England. 

A loan with a lower Championship club - a Burton, Bristol City, Barnsley or Bolton (depending on their GK requirements) - would be more likely, I'd have thought.

But we'll see.

Edited by skygod

Big club mentalities breed a lot of good habits - but the individual players attitudes have to match that. For every Woodman and Ajer there'll be a George Green and John Fleck to mirror them. Hope we are at the front of the queue to get both lads back for a year, it'll give us a solid starting point to put our own players and permanent signings around. 

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

Kilmarnock and Peterborough have asked about taking Newcastle goalkeeper Freddie Woodman on loan. (Daily Mail source)

Peterborough have just signed Johnathan Bond on loan from Reading for 6 months, would be strange they would be looking to get Woodman on loan as well ??????

8 hours ago, Trumpetree said:

Nice touch from Freddie - a thank you note to the England kit man for his work during the recent World Cup

28qw3a1.jpg

He sent one to every staff member, according to 'Frosty' He was just the first one to get his on the tweety

In fact, according to Wiki, the Russian version is the real Macoyovich, being published by the Communist Party.

The online version is a privately-owned, capitalist, ersatz travesty.

As you were, comrades!

Edited by skygod