Ian Bryson

skygod

The club who have suffered most in 30 years of play-offs are Preston North End. Nine times they have taken part and nine times they have failed. Ian Bryson played in or watched every single one and then, two years ago, the club triumphed at their tenth attempt. Bryson, a former Preston captain, hired a minibus so that he and a clutch of former players could watch among the fans.

“It felt as if it was becoming a jinx,” he says. “The longer it goes on, people want to talk about it all the time. The players try to shut these things out but it’s always in the background and that was why it was such an amazing occasion because we finally got rid of the jinx. It was nothing to do with a gypsy’s curse; we didn’t believe we were good enough to go to the next level. It was as if we went for a massive day out, not to get promotion.”

On the first occasion that Preston made a play-off final in 1994, Bryson, who now works at Leyland Trucks as a quality engineer, wept. “We lost 2-0 in the first leg against Torquay and won 4-1 in the last game on Astroturf here. It was a very emotional game, the first time I ever cried after a match. People were ripping the pitch up and grabbing pieces of the players’ shirts and I sat in the dressing room and realised I had achieved a lifetime dream to go to Wembley.”

His whole family travelled down from Scotland and backed him to be the first goalscorer in the final and, sure enough, he fired in an overhead kick in the 32nd minute. “It paid for the whole weekend,” he says. “I’d never tried an overhead kick in my whole career so I have a 100 per cent record for them. I just went mental. Unfortunately, a minute and a half later, Wycombe went down the other end while we were still celebrating and equalised.”

It was the start of Preston’s play-off misery but Bryson, who was pushed off set-piece duty when David Beckham briefly played for them — “this 18-year-old upstart turns up but, after five games, we realised he was something special” — has come to shed the resentment.

“I’ve grown to love the play-offs,” Bryson says. “It keeps the season going. There were 35,000 Preston fans at that Wycombe game. In fact there are very few people I know who weren’t at the Wycombe game.”

(The Times)

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1df

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F8ef

Edited by skygod

Fantastic player, whole hearted and very skilful. Still remember a rocket of a shot he scored against Dumbarton in the days when we were a very poor team.
Was probably the last player until Bryson that went down South and did well at a high level. 
Didn't even know he had scored an overhead kick at Wembley, will need to look that up on the internet.
I think he also played in the Sheffield derby FA cup semi-final at Wembley.

I remember the BBC made a series around Sheffield United the season they won promotion to the old First Division in 1990.

Dave Bassett was the manager and the team included the likes of Brian Deane and Bryson. 

Bryson, or rather his wife, was heavily featured in an episode which looked at the life of the players' wives.

In fact, here it is....

Other episodes are on You Tube.

1 minute ago, skygod said:

I remember the BBC made a series around Sheffield United the season they won promotion to the old First Division in 1990.

Dave Bassett was the manager and the team included the likes of Brian Deane and Bryson. 

Bryson, or rather his wife, was heavily featured in an episode which looked at the life of the players' wives.

In fact, here it is....

Other episodes are on You Tube.

Fab. Saves me uploading it. Back to us losing to tic on 5/11/2000