General Election MK3

RAG

13 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

what assurances could May possible give to her that would change that fact ? 

More money for the Scots Tories, wee promotion for Ruth to the big parliament or a job at central office?

Advance you career, set aside your principles on the issue.

Some people have conviction, others don't.

The DUP stance on abortion is even more regressive than the gay rights bit.

One was an issue recently settled on the mainland UK, the other more than a generation ago.

Hence the current focus on LGBT rights and "assurances".

4 minutes ago, RAG said:

More money for the Scots Tories, wee promotion for Ruth to the big parliament or a job at central office?

Advance you career, set aside your principles on the issue.

Some people have conviction, others don't.

The DUP stance on abortion is even more regressive than the gay rights bit.

One was an issue recently settled on the mainland UK, the other more than a generation ago.

Hence the current focus on LGBT rights and "assurances".

Well the UK can thank all the Scottish Tory votes for help making it all a reality 

6 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Well the UK can thank all the Scottish Tory votes for help making it all a reality 

It's the perpetual Tory majority in England thats kept the Tories in power for the vast majority of my lifetime!

Same in this election, the 13 Scots Tories (or whatever they got) would look a bit lonely sitting themselves in parliament of 650 and represents only about 22% of the Scottish seats.

The Tories did well in Scotland, but theres not enough of them to blame them for the UK Tory government.

English Tories to thank for that - not Ruth Davidson.

17 minutes ago, RAG said:

It's the perpetual Tory majority in England thats kept the Tories in power for the vast majority of my lifetime!

Same in this election, the 13 Scots Tories (or whatever they got) would look a bit lonely sitting themselves in parliament of 650 and represents only about 22% of the Scottish seats.

The Tories did well in Scotland, but theres not enough of them to blame them for the UK Tory government.

English Tories to thank for that - not Ruth Davidson.

fair point 

Ruth Davidson must be buzzing to be sitting down with Arlene Foster and her cronies 

the whole situation wouldn't look out of place on an episode of the black list 

1 hour ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

you can't be a homophobe or anti abortion or stand side by side with loyalists in a democracy 

However abhorrent I personally find their views, they are entitled to hold them, as long as a majority of the electorate find them acceptable. However, it should be hammered home at every opportunity, both in the Scottish parliament and in Westminster, how disgusting the company Tories are willing to keep, to cling to power. 

If you are unlucky enough to be represented by a Tory, you should begin a campaign of letter writing, to apply pressure. MSP's should remind Ruth that her new chums would have her lifestyle made illegal if they had the opportunity. Labour should be piling in on the DUP's association with terrorism, to negate Corbyn's support for similar groups. The SNP should make capital out of the fact they are trying to use democratic means to achieve their aims, while the tories are being propped up by people who turned to bombs and bullets as their first reaction. 

11 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

What is confusing me is Ruth Davidson is gay 

the DUP don't like gay folks very much 

what assurances could May possible give to her that would change that fact ? 

Nineteen Tory MPs are LGBT.

One of them, Nigel Evans, was on TV today saying that the Tories and DUP are a good fit (if you see what I mean....).

21 minutes ago, mathematics said:

If Theresa was Northern Irish, she'd be DUP. Her voting history in Westminster shows that.

She has been banging on about changing the Human rights act since 2015 under the guise of controlling our borders and protecting the people. A gateway policy towards being able to control other aspects of people's lives. 

As an opportunistic career politician the people of the country only get in the way of her working to her own agenda.

Now she can pal up with Arlene and her band of bitter backwards and dangerous brothers 

astounding state of affairs really 

It seems Boris may be about to make his move. (Why did he not make a bid after he won the Brexit vote?)

That could fix things, eh? A divisive, tactless clown of a buffoon who never won the popular vote for leader. Well it was good enough for the USA. Wee Nicola must be rubbing her hands with glee, after her indyref2 setback along comes a get out of jail free card in the form of the blond buffoon.

4 hours ago, gdevoy said:

It seems Boris may be about to make his move. (Why did he not make a bid after he won the Brexit vote?)

How quickly we forget!

Gove was going to stand aside and back Johnson, but instead announced he was running just before BoJo was about to announce his candidature. Johnson dropped out and Gove was eliminated on the second ballot.

18 minutes ago, skygod said:

How quickly we forget!

Gove was going to stand aside and back Johnson, but instead announced he was running just before BoJo was about to announce his candidature. Johnson dropped out and Gove was eliminated on the second ballot

Gove has already expressed a view this time that BoJo is not the man for the job. What a bunch or unapologetic back-stabbers with only ambition driving them and no though of their country.

43 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

Michael Fallon on Andrew Marr yesterday

"they will support us on the big issues"

Like leaving the EU single market and customs union?

Like being an honest broker in putting the NI assembly back together?

Like reducing welfare payments for the elderly?

This whole thing is not just going to go away by chanting "Strong and Stable" fifty times a day in a darkened room. They took the LibDems for a ride to get power in 2010 and look what it did for them. I'm not convinced the DUP will be so easy to buy with shine beads. 

On 9 June 2017 at 3:33 PM, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

In local terms somewhere like Cumnock electing Tory is mind boggling.

Spoke to a Cumnock resident I work with back and forth and when I asked him what's happening in Cumnock his reply and I quote 

"a lot of folk don't like that Corbyn, he's saying it's awrite to wave an ISIS flag about" :15:

not too suggest he represents the majority or even the minority of voters in Cumnock but this is what some people base their decision on ? 

A lot of interesting analysis in my absence, but this is the laziest and most ill informed. Cumnock almost certainly voted overwhelmingly SNP and Labour. It would be Ayr and  the surrounding rural areas that voted Tory. I personally don't know anyone here who voted Tory, no doubt there were some, but the weren't even represented at the polling station.

5 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

A lot of interesting analysis in my absence, but this is the laziest and most ill informed. Cumnock almost certainly voted overwhelmingly SNP and Labour. It would be Ayr and  the surrounding rural areas that voted Tory. I personally don't know anyone here who voted Tory, no doubt there were some, but the weren't even represented at the polling station.

Election Graphic

Vote share change since 2015

Conservative up 20.3%

LD up 0.2%

Labour down 3.4%

SNP down 14.7%

i was repeating a conversation i had with someone, i did say

"not too suggest he represents the majority or even the minority of voters in Cumnock but this is what some people base their decision on ?"

however i dont think you can make the assumption that the loss of the SNP and Labour seats can be based on the votes of everywhere else except Cumnock.  Unless you were in the polling booth checking everyones votes you have no idea what they voted.  I think you especially should know just because someone says they voted a certain party doesn't mean they did.