Pedometer on phone

Guard Lane

I have an i phone and have their pedometer APP. I am doing a lot of walking as part of a rehab programme for a hip problem. Like most pedometers it gives distance in Km and also number of steps. I try and use this to work out a programme but somethings not right eg:

one day was 10.8 km and 18,036 steps

another day 10.9km and 23,041 steps

also 

9.8Km and 17,350 steps

12.3km and 17,771 steps

Its obvious this is not linear - i though double distance = double steps.

So which is accurate steps or distance - I would have thought steps was GPS is steps to do with vibration with movement. 

Incidently I did not have to enter length of step.

Any answers please?

Both should be kind of accurate. 

For example; You might have been walking indoors and not taking full strides or sitting up and sitting down more one day, walking full stride down the High ST the other?

The steps are basically bumps of the phones accelerometer and distance is GPS based.

As you use it more, it get more accurate based on both measurements, hence why you don't enter stride like on a watch.

And get some "Sorbothane double strike" insoles for that hip - you won't regret it!

Edited by RAG

Thanks Rag, had osteoarthritis of hip and got artroscopy and stem cell therapy - much slower rehab than hip replacement but preserves joint - nothing artificial in it -  got to do all this walking and try and monitor it -  also pool work in waist deep water is useful

Will look up these insoles - due to gap closing at hip due to damage one leg is slightly shorter - surgeon suggested insoles in one foot to counter this.

So phones have a device that monitors the bumps when you step - kind of thought that.

1 hour ago, Guard Lane said:

Surgeon suggested insoles in one foot to counter this.

Talk to the expert then.

In USA they put those insoles as second to physio in most important part of rehab.

You may be better with "Full strike" 2 in in one foot 1 in other or layering them 3 and 2.

I read somewhere (When my Dad had his hip replaced )2X Sorbothane Full strike was recommended in each foot.

The Full Strikes ones are flat like a shoe, Double Strike and PRO version are like a raised running shoe insole.

Work on principal the usual insoles contract like a solid under (foot) impact.

The Sorbothane ones are designed to act like a fluid under impact - like having a 12oz steak in your pre war running shoes!

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, RAG said:

Talk to the expert then.

In USA they put those insoles as second to physio in most important part of rehab.

You may be better with "Full strike" 2 in in one foot 1 in other or layering them 3 and 2.

I read somewhere (When my Dad had his hip replaced )2X Sorbothane Full strike was recommended in each foot.

The Full Strikes ones are flat like a shoe, Double Strike and PRO version are like a raised running shoe insole.

Work on principal the usual insoles contract like a solid under (foot) impact.

The Sorbothane ones are designed to act like a fluid under impact - like having a 12oz steak in your pre war running shoes!

saw this post the other day and looked into the insoles for the Mrs's Mother who had her hip replaced just before christmas, she has now ordered them to see if they help.

cheers for the heads up (i know it wasnt meant for me but still good bit of info that hopefully helps the exocet)