Old Firm game

For all the media hype about the noise and spectacle and rivalry (which they fuel), it puts it in context when some of the players - Roberts, Ball, Zelalem - are raw rookies on loan from properly big clubs.

And it says a lot about the quality of the Premiership that they can't get a club into the cup final.  

The quality on show has been declining for a while. I don't think Sevco are a particularly good side and Celtic have stagnated since Armageddon a few years ago. So much sloppy passing and poor decision making. The quality of penalty was horrific from some as well. Two squads full of players who maybe five years ago wouldn't have got near an OF squad are now mainstays in the team. 

I couldn't believe how many Celtic players were struggling with fitness issues towards the end. This is supposed to be the flagship club in the country and their players were struggling by the end of the 90 never mind the extra time.

1 hour ago, killiefan27 said:

Just shows you what a state Scottish football is in when you consider that Scott Brown captains the league champions and the national team. He was an absolute joke today.

Didn't see much of the game but his penalty was certainly atrocious!

Whether we like it or not, and it pains me to say it, the Rangers-Celtic game is the only show in town when it comes to Scottish football.

The clubs and the media have built up this match over the years to the monster it is and watched by millions worldwide, more for the curious spectacle than the technical merit I suspect. 

The rest of the clubs in the league have been let down by being happy just to exist beside this gruesome twosome without blowing their own trumpets... witness our own club advertising this game for the Sports Bar. Will they be applying for an early license for Inverness v. Killie? No-one except us is watching Killie or Hearts or Aberdeen v. anybody.

Football is comfortable in stoking up their division despite how it reflects on the rest of us and the country... we really get what we deserve!

13 minutes ago, aldo said:

i'd be very surprised if millions of people world wide were watching it. certainly it would only get a tiny fraction of the interest the Leicester match will have got

Aye, the Old Firm fixture has awoken from a long slumber to discover the interest of the football world has moved on (contrary to what Sky will tell you).

The days of MotD coming up to Scotland to screen it live UK wide on cooncil telly are long gone. Compared to the behemoth that the EPL has become it's a sideshow...

I think folks are underestimating the drawing power of this game, there will be millions worldwide watching it, expats in all corners, Irish fans of both sides in the US etc, doesn't make the quality any better but certainly puts dollars into our game, I enjoyed the peace for a while, but make no mistake they are back amongst us and have gained bragging rights before expected, I think Lawell has messed up big time sticking with Deila, the impetus is with Rangers, I actually think they will win the league next season.

5 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

I think folks are underestimating the drawing power of this game, there will be millions worldwide watching it, expats in all corners, Irish fans of both sides in the US etc, doesn't make the quality any better but certainly puts dollars into our game, I enjoyed the peace for a while, but make no mistake they are back amongst us and have gained bragging rights before expected, I think Lawell has messed up big time sticking with Deila, the impetus is with Rangers, I actually think they will win the league next season.

It wouldn't surprise me.  They wouldn't like to admit it, but Celtic have really struggled in their absence. There's no way they would have put up with such a mediocre manager and players if there had been a genuine title challenge to contend with.

Lawwell / Desmond have only needed to sanction enough money to win one game for the past 4 seasons (the Champions League play off).

I expect in the close season they will invest a bit more in a manager / squad to keep getting them that chance at CL money now that they face a tougher test in the league.

14 hours ago, LH31 said:

Didn't watch the game but sounds like a typical Scottish fitba affair - plenty endeavour,  nae quality 

Disagree there LH31. Rangers played the way you would always be happy to hand your £20+ . They built from the back and the passes were short and sharp and made their move forward at the right time..... much like the Kenny shiels way

The interest in the Old Firm outwith Scotland starts and ends with ex-pats. No one else gives a f**k. It's a joke of a game, yesterday didn't do much to garner interest either. 

Doesnt matter how much the Sun or the Record claim, the old firm isn't watched by millions worldwide

Edited by bute-killiefan

25 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

Doesnt matter how much the Sun or the Record claim, the old firm isn't watched by millions worldwide

This!

It's a Scottish meeja myth. That may play some part in why the Twisted Sisters find it so difficult to get admission to "The Premiership". They may have massive overseas drawing power compared to other Scottish clubs but they really are very average when compared to clubs already in "The Greatest League in the World" a legend in their own minds. (Both the infirm and The Premiership.)