Ten Page Rule

KillieFC

Ten Page Rule  

95 members have voted

1. 1. We introduced the ten page rule to stop people having to wade through pages of stuff to find out where they last read from. This has been alleviated somewhat by the new button that allows you to go straight to where you last read. Your website, your decision.

• Leave the ten page rules as is
    • Abandon the ten page rule
    • Blank

• KillieFC featured and unfeatured this topic
42 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Why 10 pages and not 9 or 11? Seems a bit arbitrary just for the sake of it.

I know moderation is more reactive than proactive but if this was better, it would keep threads on topic, trim and easier to read. I'll volunteer if more hands are needed.

10 would be me. Other forums I'm a member of has that as their cut off. They get to 10 at the drop of a flame war. It's rare we ever do. Other than the 10 song game or the old youtube directory. So it made sense to make it 10, nice round number, and very rare it would ever be reached. Unless we ever needed an all singing all dancing megathread to deal with 5 million different threads about each and every aspect of a possible new manager again...

6 minutes ago, CB said:

.....very rare it would ever be reached ...

The "KIllie Pie" thread reached ten pages after two weeks and in the first month of the new site.

I would say that it's highly likely that there will be other threads before long.

However, if the number reaching ten pages turns out to be very rare, why employ a cut-off? Let threads run to their natural conclusion.

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

The "KIllie Pie" thread reached ten pages after two weeks and in the first month of the new site.

I would say that it's highly likely that there will be other threads before long.

However, if the number reaching ten pages turns out to be very rare, why employ a cut-off? Let threads run to their natural conclusion.

Figures based on what happened in the 10 plus year old site.

That's all very well and good. But, like the bit you left out of the quote. When the site gets tidied up of the numerous threads all saying the same thing, that can lead to more pages. And the 'natural end' to that one was over 40 pages & users were complaining about things getting lost in it. Hence trying to keep the number down to a more readable level.

Most of this s**t storm wouldn't have happened if it wasn't this particular thread. But because it was, it appears to some to signal the end of civilisation as we know it. And causes the to become incapable of simply carrying on where it gets left off.

When asked, on the old board about what they'd like to see in the new. A significant number wished for the end of 'megathreads' because stuff gets lost in them. It is interesting to note the tune changers who have voted down this cut off on here, against what they may have intimated in the other place.

Can't please any of the people...ever.

10 page rule seems a bit silly and pointless.

I don't really have a problem following those huge threads. The bigger problem with those long threads is how far and extensively they go off topic. Stronger moderation of threads, splitting off these distracting tangential branches would go a long way to making those colossal threads more readable, but having moderated and admin-ed for a while on a forum with a few thousand willful users, I can appreciate how labor-intensive and much of a pain in the arse it can be, so it's sometimes easier to lead with the hammer than the scalpel.

I think the only person talking about "s**tstorms" and "end of civilization" is you, but there you go.

I thought the idea of a thread was to join together all the posts on a certain subject.

It's really not that big a deal. Just a bad idea, imo.  

Edited by skygod

46 minutes ago, CB said:

But because it was, it appears to some to signal the end of civilisation as we know it. And causes the to become incapable of simply carrying on where it gets left off.

It's only a s**tstorm to you because are being far too precious.

1 hour ago, CB said:

Can't please any of the people...ever.

You can!  Pretty much everyone has said they love the new forums.  You're being melodramatic. Am I on mumsnet?

If you were splitting topics up into meaningful chunks with a clearly defined subject, then it'd at least make some sense (I still think it'd be a bad idea as it's simply a work generator for the mods/admin).
Killie Pie Wars: Part 1 - Speculation
Killie Pie Wars: Part 2 - Club respond
Killie Pie Wars: Part 3 - Brownings respond

Splitting the thread based on an arbitrary number of pages makes absolutely no sense.  If subsequent parts of the thread continue as the previous part did then it serves no purpose.  You'll be sifting through the exact same amount of "nonsense".

All it serves to do is make life difficult for users who might want to make use of the shiny new features of the board you've upgraded to:

• Search this topic
  • Quoting from previous post in this topic
  • Follow this topic
  • Notify me of replies
  • Sharing this topic

I think the admin/mods need to take a step back and let the threads evolve naturally.  By all means, remove offensive/defamatory comments.  If that (heaven forbid) takes it over the 10 page threshold then so be it.

7 minutes ago, skygod said:

Why is Baz unquotable?

Anyway...."Slow news week much?" We're trying to get this thread up to ten pages to see what happens!

I think you need a reputation over 45 before you can quote Administrators  

1 hour ago, baz said:

Slow news week much?

Works ok for me :2: