Electric Cars

gdevoy

On 11/18/2017 at 1:45 PM, gdevoy said:

The Truck looks smart but still a bit short on range to compete with diesel.

Tesla is also currently experiencing production target issues. It predicted it would make 1,500 Model 3 cars in the third quarter of 2017, in reality it only managed 260. It expects to reach a production target of 5,000 Model 3 cars per week in 2018.

Yes he can build them but making them commercially available to the consumer needs a Henry Ford character.                

Or an Edison.

Would you believe, it doesn’t seem to have rain-sensing wipers!!! Or if it does, I haven’t figured how to select  the appropriate setting. 

Spent most of the day so far accelerating like fü€k and then dropping the anchor and I still have 80 miles of charge left. Still, I guess I’ll be spending the evening hanging around car parks (for a change).

I've spent most of the day willing the traffic lights to turn red as I approach them so that I can floor it when they change to green again.  I even stopped on amber (which I suppose is what you're supposed to do) and smiled like the self-satisfied git that I aspire to be when I left the slightly miffed xf driver that seemed intent on getting into my boot eating my dust in near silence when the lights changed.  I also unintentionally gave a bit of a fright to a poor pensioner at the roundabout near the fire station. When they looked to their right before joining I was effectively stationary waiting for a car coming from my right to decide if they were going to Belfield or Shortlees. They went for Bellfield, I floored it for a split second, and when the pensioner looked again (after they had joined the roundabout) I was a hell of a lot closer to them (still side on) than they had expected. I had been watching them because I had expected them to join (and they were perfectly entitled to do so because I hadn't joined yet when they started) and had already slowed down, but the look of surprise on their face was amusing.

In terms of charging: I went to the Athletics arena this evening just to see what the charger there is like. It took me about 35 minutes to set up an account with the company that runs it - mainly because the spam filter on my email account didn't like the look of the verification email - but when I got it up and running, it charged at a rate of about 1mile per minute. On the 13A trickle charger it charges at about 6miles per hour which is fine for commuting, if left on overnight.  The supercharger will bring it to about 170 miles in about 30 minutes (I believe). Full range is about 230 miles, but that drops off a bit if you drive like I was driving today.  Long distance travel off the beaten track isn't really that feasible unless you intend to stay overnight with the charging flex out the bedroom window (unless your destination has a charger), but it is still easily the nicest car I have ever driven and a hell of a lot of fun!!!