Electric Cars

gdevoy

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, Lroy said:

That 18k seems to also include crap like "how much petrol you'll save over 5 years" and stuff like that. Probably more like £25k when it goes on sale in the UK.

I can see how they could play games by looking at the total cost of ownership rather than the up front outlay. The thing is figures like that depend on how much petrol you were intending to buy in the first place. Most people would simply look at the monthly cost of repayments on a 3 year loan.

I still think the Scottish government "target" of having no new petrol sales by 2034 would imply having the unit cost of a new electric vehicle under £10,000 by then. Otherwise the cost of any such legislation would be perceived as another tax and would be highly unpopular. From where I'm standing that seems like a very, very ambitious target given the infinitesimally small electric car ownership right now. 

11 hours ago, Lroy said:

I don't. I asked where you got yours from.

Sorry, silly attempt at humour.

Nominally what I myself would expect to  pay for a new vehicle when I replace one ever 3 years. Perhaps it's misguided to think of myself as average but If I had to pay significantly more jus because it was electric I would be well cheese off. 

OK maybe fuel costs could be lower but I would anticipate running costs would be higher as you inevitably get reliability issues with new technology. 

24 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

According to Parkers, there are 14 cars available new for under £10000, out of a possible 396. 

Out of interest, why do you replace the car every three years?

£10,000 is a sort of nominal figure. it has been creeping up over the years and is now nearer £15,000. (I just checked and it is actually currently over £15,00) so maybe £20,000 by 2034 is probably more reasonable. I still think that is ambitious.

We do over 20 - 25.000 a year (having a ST for RP costs rubber and time) so it's well worn and coming up the far wall of the bathtub failure curve. We can drive for 3 years replacing the front tyres once, generally without replacing alternators, batteries, bulbs and other assorted nonsense and without getting an MoT. A 3 year loan makes the cost affordable. Any less and it's too expensive and any longer and you start to pay silly interest.

Surely you can cover the costs of maintenance of a 3 year old car with the £5,000 you would no longer be using to pay off the loan? Even if the clutch needs replaced, or something similar, it's unlikely to cost more than a fifth of that.

This does seem to be the norm now though - the car industry has done a marvellous job of convincing people that they should replace their cars every three years at a time when they've never been more reliable. And in recent years, on finance or PCP. I watched Top Gear the other night and the guy reviewing the Megane GT talked about it's price in monthly terms, rather than the cost price of the thing.

Bonkers.

2 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Even if the clutch needs replaced, or something similar, it's unlikely to cost more than a fifth of that. 

There 's more than just the cost of the failed parts to be considered.

The dashboard bulb on my old style Ford Ka went. 50p tops for a new bulb. In the olden days I could have replace a dashboard bulb in les than 30 minutes but not on the Ford Ka. Using the new economy of space design philosophy of Ford the entire heater unit had to be removed first. A day in the garage and £150 bill.

Had an alternator warning light come on. AVO across the battery ... nothing wrong with the alternator, the warning circuit was faulty. Still needed another day in the garage and a complete new alternator as the warning circuit is not a separate part.

I agree a good part of the problem is to do with choices made by the manufcturers but that's the world we live in. It's no just the cost of the parts, it's the constant hassle and the never knowing if it will start in the morning after a cold soak at -5C in the middle of winter. It is a lot less hassle just to pay the monthly cost and replace it every 3 years. 

6 hours ago, gdevoy said:

£20,000 by 2034 is probably more reasonable. I still think that is ambitious.

There's a pretty good selection of EV cars currently available for less than £30k and a handful for under £20k. I think it's inevitable rather than ambitious that we'll have a huge selection of £20k EVs in 15 years.

The average cost of a new car in 2012 was £28,973.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:15 AM, gdevoy said:

...200 miles would be fine if you could re charge in under 15 minutes...

Tesla have opened their first v3.0 superchargers.

250kW. 75 miles of range in 5 mins, 1000 miles of range per hour under optimum conditions.

That's 225 miles in 15 mins. 

16 hours ago, Lroy said:

The average cost of a new car in 2012 was £28,973.

In the UK?

I am guessing that is the total cost of all new models sold divided by the number of all new models sold.

There are a lot more sales of new cars under £15,000 than over £15,000. So to get an idea of what the "average" purchaser would consider a reasonable amount let's take the total amount of money spent on new cars in the UK in a year and divide it by the number of car purchases. 

Edited by gdevoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also, there seems to be 2x 22kW chargers at Rugby Park now. To the "rear of the hotel." So, you could even charge up at the game if you didn't think 400 miles was enough to go from Edinburgh to Killie then on to Greenock before returning to Edinburgh.

Just now, Lroy said:

Also, there seems to be 2x 22kW chargers at Rugby Park now. To the "rear of the hotel." So, you could even charge up at the game if you didn't think 400 miles was enough to go from Edinburgh to Killie then on to Greenock before returning to Edinburgh.

Aye. Not quite 'at the bins' but in the wee clearing before them