Electric Cars

gdevoy

1 hour ago, virtuocity said:

@Lroy are these chargers free to use?  They have them in the multi story.  I really want an electric car. Not sure I’m yet able to justify the cost financially given that I’m paying just £150 a month for a car which is only 2 years old.  

I believe most ChargePlace Scotland chargers are free to use for now.

I'm dying for an electric car but I'm not a new car kinda guy. I've got a Seat Mii I bought for £5k cash 2 years ago. I don't do anywhere near enough miles to benefit from the lower "fuel" costs.

Paying monthly for a car would be something very different to how I currently do my finances full stop. I either need to splash the cash or wait a few more years for a 2nd hand electric car.

More and more affordable electric cars are coming out though. It'll be normal soon.

50 minutes ago, Lroy said:

I believe most of not all ChargePlace Scotland chargers are free to use for now.

I'm dying for an electric car but I'm not a new car kinda guy. I've got a Seat Mii I bought for £5k cash 2 years ago. I don't do anywhere near enough miles to benefit from the lower "fuel" costs.

Paying monthly for a car would be something very different to how I currently do my finances full stop. I either need to splash the cash or wait a few more years for a 2nd hand electric car.

More and more affordable electric cars are coming out though. It'll be normal soon.

I do loads of short journeys as part of my job so there is a cost saving and the environmental considerations are important to me.  My worry is that the more cars that enter the second hand market, the less likely I’ll be able to find charging places in public. 

10 minutes ago, virtuocity said:

My worry is that the more cars that enter the second hand market, the less likely I’ll be able to find charging places in public. 

You've got to remember that unless you're doing +150miles a day, you're probably going to do 95% your charging at home overnight unless you really load up on the free ChargePlace Scotland leccy. 

Just now, Lroy said:

You've got to remember that unless you're doing +150miles a day, you're probably going to do 95% your charging at home overnight unless you really load up on the free ChargePlace Scotland leccy. 

I park in the multi-storey nearly every day. Was thinking about getting a free charge in a good space every day and saving me a leccy bill.  Oh and saving the planet obvs 

3 minutes ago, virtuocity said:

I park in the multi-storey nearly every day. Was thinking about getting a free charge in a good space every day and saving me a leccy bill.  Oh and saving the planet obvs 

In which case, 470 public chargers have been installed in the UK in the last 30 days. I don't think finding a charger will be an issue in the near future. The bigger question is going to be when will the government start charging/stop subsidising ChargePlace.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

I’m all for saving the planet but not at the expense of giving a weirdo like Elon Musk a penny of my dosh.

Interesting that you'd sacrifice the planet in order to ensure an individual didn't receive money. If that's even how companies worked.

Renault, VW, Vauxhall, Audi, Kia, Hyundai, MG, Honda, Mini, Nissan, Mercedes; all making electric cars and not owned by Elon Musk.

3 hours ago, Lroy said:

Interesting that you'd sacrifice the planet in order to ensure an individual didn't receive money. If that's even how companies worked.

Renault, VW, Vauxhall, Audi, Kia, Hyundai, MG, Honda, Mini, Nissan, Mercedes; all making electric cars and not owned by Elon Musk.

Ok then. I'm off out to buy an electric motor right now! The good thing is they're quiet so hopefully Elon Musk won't hear me approaching at speed.

13 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

Are they strictly legal ?

8 minutes ago, CB said:

Not road legal, no.

Yeah, not on UK roads... Or pavements. Technically they can only be used on private land unless you register them as a road vehicle i.e. get a registration plate for it. I think they're looking in to changing the law this year.

5 minutes ago, Lroy said:

Yeah, not on UK roads... Or pavements. Technically they can only be used on private land unless you register them as a road vehicle i.e. get a registration plate for it. I think they're looking in to changing the law this year.

Hasn't stopped folk from using them though. Been a lot of serious accidents & deaths involving folk using them. If they do become legal, folk'll probably have to get helmeted up to use them.

17 hours ago, Lroy said:

Anyone got an electric Scooter? The Xiaomi M365 looks good but pricy. 20 miles range, 15mph top speed. I imagine a 30 something cruising about on one of those would look like a complete tool so a big red card for that idea.

i won one at a company event, not sure of the model number but it sounds the same spec. great fun.

I live near a massive park so use there with my daughter. I have also gone to the shops/takeaway on it at night time. I know you are not meant to use it on the pavement or roads but I reckon if you are sensible nobody will care. It has a headlight and break light so people can see you, if not hear you coming. You see people down here using them in cycle lanes to get in to town. 

Normally I would drive the mile to the local shops, but parking is a nightmare at night. Using the scooter is quicker by some way and much greener. though you do get a few funny looks. 

I wouldn't be able to charge mine at home, as I don't have a driveway and it's illegal to string the cable across the public footpath. It's great that the range is increasing though.

I was looking at a government page this morning and it had links to different cars.

The Peugeot e-208 looks a possibility but when you read down the information, the range halves when averaging 81mph (weird that they came up with an illegal speed!). That would knock the range down to 110 miles. A motorway/by-pass journey back home to Stevenston (330 miles) from Nottingham would take a while!

Car wow is claiming that you can get a new one for £24k though.

On 2/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, killieblues said:

The Peugeot e-208 looks a possibility but when you read down the information, the range halves when averaging 81mph (weird that they came up with an illegal speed!). That would knock the range down to 110 miles. A motorway/by-pass journey back home to Stevenston (330 miles) from Nottingham would take a while!

It's important to mention that the range of combustion engine cars also drops by about the similar amounts at high speeds.

autobild1.png.56c90f891759fecdd9e59b42aded95e5.png

Of course, combustion engine cars have an efficiency peak around 40mph but it's much lower on electric cars.

Corsa and 208 look very good options. Both built on the same platform and have ~200 mile ranges. More importantly they charge fast at 100kW which brings the 10-80% charge time to less than 30mins. They are primarily town/city cars though, Tesla still rules the motorway.