v Dumbarton (h)

KillieBison

22 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

O'donnell has been poor in all games so far, not done much in attack and poor in defence. Mcculloch screamed at him later on and he wasn't happy. Hopefully not a  bad attitude.

McCulloch was not happy with him at all and O'Donnell shouted back at him. LM immediately turned to Boyd and told him to get ready, he was going on. But before he could get his tracksuit off the ref blew for time up.  

I was impressed by Dumbarton today. I thought they tried to play football all day, always passing to feet and their movement was nice to watch. I would like to see Stevie Aitken working with full time players. 

This was my first game of the season. I was disappointed in O'Donnell, I thought he was quite pedestrian throughout the game. Erwin looked good to me when he came on and I thought everyone else did okay.

A good win in the end but still work to be done. First half was really poor - almost like a friendly with no urgency about our play. In the second half we looked better with two up top, but still some mistakes across the team - we could easily have shipped a couple of goals. While Boyd took his goal well he is still well off match fitness. I did like the direct running of Jones and with Thomas we have a player who can cross which has missing for a while. Frizzell made some good passes and McDonald had some good reaction saves.

A concern was how often we didn't get headers away from corners (or win them at the other end) - with a tall team for the first time in years we should do better. Also though McKenzie took the wrong option almost every time and O'Donnell still hasn't convinced me.

On paper this should have been the most difficult game but Dumbarton have been poor so hard to judge our progress. Next week will give a better idea.

First half was pedestrian and Dumbarton probably had the better play overall but everything changed after the break.  JJ started to cause havoc with his runs down the left side in addition to numerous wanderings into the centre.  Frizz was the motm with excellent control and endless energy. Burke is a class act still and increasing fitness levels will be a huge asset for us. Definitely all trying to keep the ball on the deck rather than lumping it up the park but some of us as fans keep yelling to get it up the park.

Jamie MacDonald was an important player for us today and we needed his brilliant saves to protect the goal difference we needed to just qualify. Boyd benefitted from his partnership with Erwin ( who looks like a good signing ) and Thomas had another huge contribution with crosses getting us two goals.

Wilson and Broadfoot were sound in the air but less sure on the ground and like others on the forum still a bit under impressed with O'Donnell. Rory is Rory but overall he played his part today although seems to get lost at times. 

Dicker and Kiltie waiting in the wings ------------ this should be a decent season.

Similar to the Clyde game .... lethargic and slow first half but came to life after the break.

I didn't think Will Graham had a bad game for a 17-18yo making his first start ... showed some good touches but there was no chemistry between him and Taylor which is down to a lack of playing together and not the player himself. Can't believe the flak he's getting after one start !

Thought Thomas was pretty quiet for the majority of the game and not as influential as previous games ... but he still got two assists.

Defence needs work and not sure a 36yo Greer will be the answer ... the thought of him, O'Donnell and Broadfoot give me the fear as I ain't that impressed with the other two.

Wilson needs to find a position or he will suffer the same fate as O'Hara and be punted.  He also needs to work on his passing which is a major let down.

Rory was Rory ... he'll dine out on the two goals against Clyde for 6-7 weeks then have another decent game.

Erwin got a goal and made some runs ... given time to settle and he should be a good signing.

Boyd got a goal and two assists ... not bad for a fat lazy over rated waster who should have been retired two years ago! He then went on the overlap down the wing at the end  .... took some stick from Jones for it!!! 

Still require a ball winner in midfield and a CB with some pace ... unless we can clone Gary Dicker??

17 minutes ago, BigYin said:

The only thing missing from Jones game at the moment is the end product. If he can improve on that which he seems to be, then he may well have some decent teams down south interested in him 

Thought he did well yesterday. His crosses set up the third goal and a few chances for others. He had a few runs and forced the keeper into saves as well. Similar to the Clyde game where he was unlucky not to score. Goals is probably the next thing to add to his game. When that comes he won't be here for long after.

The Boyd detractors should realise that he is being asked to defend at all the corners ,where in the 4 games this season he has won more than his fair share of headers. Is he being asked to do this or is he doing it off his own back and showing his players that as a captain he is with them ? Either way IMO he should be given a bit of slack for the next 4 games . 

44 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

The Boyd detractors should realise that he is being asked to defend at all the corners ,where in the 4 games this season he has won more than his fair share of headers. Is he being asked to do this or is he doing it off his own back and showing his players that as a captain he is with them ? Either way IMO he should be given a bit of slack for the next 4 games . 

What utter drivel! Boyd's contribution to all the games in the league cup qualifiers has been little to say the least. I'm glad s he's landed a few goals but the reality is he's a fair bit away from match fitness, he's at least  2 stone too heavy!

28 minutes ago, kermodelafrog said:

What utter drivel! Boyd's contribution to all the games in the league cup qualifiers has been little to say the least. I'm glad s he's landed a few goals but the reality is he's a fair bit away from match fitness, he's at least  2 stone too heavy!

His contribution has been little! Just the three goals and involved in the other two goals yesterday!

46 minutes ago, kermodelafrog said:

How ironic. 

Telling someone they are talking drivel and then proceeding to talk absolute nonsense. 

Without Boyd we'd have been five goals worse off... and out the cup!

54 minutes ago, skygod said:

Isn't defending corners part and parcel of the game?

You seriously think the guy deserves special credit for that?!

He will have an allocated job at set pieces like the other outfield players so, yes, he will be asked to do it. 

Flip that. If a defender was scoring regularly from corners it would merit praise. Considering he was our best defender at corners and free kicks yesterday then yes it deserves special credit. Especially when you take into account him playing the lone striker role for much of the game. 

Yes he needs to lose a bit of weight but he was persistant yesterday which resulted in the first, scored the 2nd and set up the 3rd. 

Maybe you seen something different yesterday but Im not sure what. The guy is being asked to defend then be straight up the park and score.

Definitely need to get it sorted in defence, conceding far too many chances at set plays. Ayr and Clyde both punished us the majority of SPL teams will have a field day. Plus for me going forward we look dangerous although a little too reliant on balls into the box think we could work it through the middle with the right player behind a more mobile striker. 

8 minutes ago, Malkmus said:

Definitely need to get it sorted in defence, conceding far too many chances at set plays. Ayr and Clyde both punished us the majority of SPL teams will have a field day. Plus for me going forward we look dangerous although a little too reliant on balls into the box think we could work it through the middle with the right player behind a more mobile striker. 

Agree, our defenders are not winning enough balls in the air. That needs to improve and we have plenty of height in there now so there is no excuse 

I doubt it'll be sorted by next Saturday. Too many newcomers still to get to full fitness.  If Greer signs I doubt he'll play next week. Like Erwin he probably hasn't trained properly for a few weeks. I think we are still a few games away from having our best eleven fit and playing the system LM wants. I am concerned as fans we maybe expecting too much from our first traunch of league games.