v Dumbarton (h)

KillieBison

3 hours ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

Apparently Aberdeen been sniffing about Jones this week. I hear he's happy to stay here for another year and see what offers he gets next summer, but money talks, so we'll see. 

I was chatting in the Sports Bar yesterday with Mitch, JJ's mate who's up from boro for the weekend, they've already had a bid rejected by the club, Hibs, Preston & Wigan are also interested thou....

44 minutes ago, cammy_boy said:

Flip that. If a defender was scoring regularly from corners it would merit praise. Considering he was our best defender at corners and free kicks yesterday then yes it deserves special credit. Especially when you take into account him playing the lone striker role for much of the game. 

Yes he needs to lose a bit of weight but he was persistant yesterday which resulted in the first, scored the 2nd and set up the 3rd. 

Maybe you seen something different yesterday but Im not sure what. The guy is being asked to defend then be straight up the park and score.

I wasn't talking about his weight, or his persistence, or his attacking contribution.

Bonbon was simply talking about Boyd defending at corners as if he was heroic for doing it. 

He has always been very good at defending set pieces so of course he should be asked to do it. As long as the manager has a tactic of pulling everybody back at corners, he will have to do it.

If the issue is that he has to make his way up and down the park to do so, then that's another matter. 

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

I wasn't talking about his weight, or his persistence, or his attacking contribution.

Bonbon was simply talking about Boyd defending at corners as if he was heroic for doing it. 

He has always been very good at defending set pieces so of course he should be asked to do it. As long as the manager has a tactic of pulling everybody back at corners, he will have to do it.

If the issue is that he has to make his way up and down the park to do so, then that's another matter. 

Sorry the weight thing wasnt aimed at you. 

Nobody was saying that he should be considered heroic but yes special praise is due for doing something very well that is not and should not be a duty that should be placed heavily on his shoulders. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Think you've misinterpreted my post a little re Boyd .

Of course defending is part of the game and Boyd isn't exempt from that neither is he a hero but surely some latitude should be given to him by the moaners that berate him for not getting back up the pitch and scoring more often. Did we see McCoist, McAvennie , Harper etc do this ? Does Dembele, Griffiths etc ? Killie has had many lazier strikers than Boyd who wouldn't have done half the work he does eg Eddie Morrison a hero of mine , but lazy as , John Burke and more recently Cocard. 

We had a wee laugh yesterday when Killie broke up the pitch via Jones from a Dumbarton corner which Boyd had headed away and some wag was shouting at him to get up the pitch. There aren't many footballers in Scotland that could've done so and that was the basis of my point, and Boyd did eventually get up the park and made a tackle , albeit in the centre circle :)  Boyd for all his faults is at the very least trying to help Kilmarnock Football Club on the pitch give him a break 

2 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

Think you've misinterpreted my post a little re Boyd .

Of course defending is part of the game and Boyd isn't exempt from that neither is he a hero but surely some latitude should be given to him by the moaners that berate him for not getting back up the pitch and scoring more often. Did we see McCoist, McAvennie , Harper etc do this ? Does Dembele, Griffiths etc ? Killie has had many lazier strikers than Boyd who wouldn't have done half the work he does eg Eddie Morrison a hero of mine , but lazy as , John Burke and more recently Cocard. 

We had a wee laugh yesterday when Killie broke up the pitch via Jones from a Dumbarton corner which Boyd had headed away and some wag was shouting at him to get up the pitch. There aren't many footballers in Scotland that could've done so and that was the basis of my point, and Boyd did eventually get up the park and made a tackle , albeit in the centre circle :)  Boyd for all his faults is at the very least trying to help Kilmarnock Football Club on the pitch give him a break 

Eddie Morrison lazy?!

If the whole team including your main striker come back to defend set-pieces, clearly the way the ball is played out has to take allowance for that.

If the keeper hoofs the ball up the park and then complains to the striker standing 10 yards away that he wasn't there to receive it, that would clearly be ridiculous.

Because of his age and his bulk, more so the latter, Boyd is going to take longer to lumber back up the pitch than most but the team has to make allowance for that. But it has to be done and he should have the fitness to do it. I repeat that I don't think the fact he does it is especially creditable.

Everyone on here wants the team to do well. Boyd is doing a job to the best of his ability and he should get credit for the things he does well, like his goal and assist yesterday. You can see though how folk get frustrated if his contribution is limited by his lack of fitness.

6 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

I was chatting in the Sports Bar yesterday with Mitch, JJ's mate who's up from boro for the weekend, they've already had a bid rejected by the club, Hibs, Preston & Wigan are also interested thou....

Saw him out in town last night with Frizzel and that boy from bolton he swore there is no chance he is leaving and showed his "KTID" tattoo haha praying he does't leave, most exciting winger i have every watch at Killie

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Eddie Morrison lazy?!

If the whole team including your main striker come back to defend set-pieces, clearly the way the ball is played out has to take allowance for that.

If the keeper hoofs the ball up the park and then complains to the striker standing 10 yards away that he wasn't there to receive it, that would clearly be ridiculous.

Because of his age and his bulk, more so the latter, Boyd is going to take longer to lumber back up the pitch than most but the team has to make allowance for that. But it has to be done and he should have the fitness to do it. I repeat that I don't think the fact he does it is especially creditable.

Everyone on here wants the team to do well. Boyd is doing a job to the best of his ability and he should get credit for the things he does well, like his goal and assist yesterday. You can see though how folk get frustrated if his contribution is limited by his lack of fitness.

Had the pleasure of a quick chat with Eddie several years ago and it was by his own admission that he " rarely ventured back to his own penalty box" . It is this comparison that I'm making and my own fading memories of Eddie 

Some quick thoughts from the game:

Jamie McDonald - should be our no1. this season, although it crossed the line the save he made to look as though it didnt was world class, a few other timely saves as well.

We look like a team who will score goals this season, really miss Dicker in the middle but otherwise im confident for the start of the season, teams will not like to play against Jones/Thomas/Erwin-Boyd

Not sure where Greer fits in to this team, Broadfoot looks great & with Wilson beside him he can inject a bit of pace

I thought that both teams were pretty fairly matched in the the first half, unfortunately. Obviously is a better sign for Dumbarton than us, but I appreciate the squad is new (and young!) and there needs to be some allowance for that.

However, second half was a different picture entirely and McCulloch (and the subs) need to get praise for changing the game like that. Jones was instrumental in the change to Killie, and the introduction of Erwin really seemed to motivate Boyd too. He looked totally rejuvenated imho. Whether that's because he doesn't want a younger model showing him up, or because he was genuinely grateful of having some competent support up beside him - either way, he looked hungry (make your own jokes!) again, and that was great to see!

Midfield and defence (Taylor and Broadfoot exluded) still look a bit shakey, but McDonald is a safe pair of hands and I felt he saved us a few times on Saturday with some excellent stops when called upon. (Ohh, and that was definitely over the line in the first half - West Stand linesman was poor all game!)