Interview: Lee Clark (April 2016)

BlueKillie

• CB pinned this topic

Great work with the interviews and I look forward to viewing them. However, can I suggest one piece of constructive criticism, please do something about the volume. Even at maximum volume, I struggle to hear some of the responses. I know I am an auld git and that my hearing is not what it was, but it would be helpful if the volume during the recording process could be increased to help those of us who have hearing issues.  Thankyou

KILMARNOCK boss Lee Clark once got to the bottom of a player’s problem – his dishwasher.

And the Rugby Park gaffer is adamant having a dressing room free of personal issues is the only way to wipe away the threat of relegation.

Clark is an admired football coach but feels in his job people skills are just as vital.

Getting every ounce of concentration and talent out of players is crucial due to the narrow margins between success and failure and Clark has slung open his office door.

He wants his stars to get issues off their chests as he told of past experiences that saw players of his under-achieve.

He said: “If you are talking about mentality you are also talking about life off the field.

“There could be things away from the pitch that are affecting their performances.

“I might not be able to deal with it personally but I have a network of contacts in various areas who can help them.

“A player who has no issues off the pitch can be happy and focused on it. As a manager you try to create that.

“I’ve had instances at all of my clubs. I’ve gone from serious illnesses to funny ones.

“I had a player who said he had a problem and, when we got to the bottom of it, his dishwasher wasn’t working.

“I’ve also had a player who was struggling badly and, eventually, we found he was having tests for a serious illness.

“Fans often don’t see it but you are dealing with 30 or 40 guys who sometimes are having issues with family or friends. That’s why you keep an eye on their well-being.

“If you have these things going through your mind it’s impossible to focus on the job. We are trying to put tactics together and the player’s mind is elsewhere.

“When you play or manage you learn all the time. You might have made a mistake before so you know the next time how to do it differently and I’ve told the players my office has an open door.”

Clark believes the mental side of the game is crucial and added: “You need more than skilful players to be successful. The game is changing in terms of athleticism, power, pace. It’s about mentality and being able to handle a situation. That’s the psychological side of it.

“When you sign someone it’s not just about their ability. It’s about their character and can he handle pressure.”

Clark’s players will have their resolve tested to the limit over the next three weeks in the fight to dodge the drop.

Killie, who are at Inverness on Sunday, are four points from safety but Clark is bullish. He said: “I’ve been encouraged by our performances. With four points from our last six we have momentum and we’ll try to avoid the play-off.

“In a relegation situation it’s about what you do against the teams around you. That means the five matches we have left take on huge significance.”

(Record)

Feel so sorry for Lee that one moment of madness from Balatoni,which no manager could plan for or affect has left us in the play-off. Incredible how such small margins can turn games..had we gone to Hamilton next week,4 behind them,would have been confident of cutting it to 1.

However,Lee will have the right attitude for the 2 legs....certainly fancy him to outwit Stubbs if it is Hibs.We have a manager who will give his all for these 2 matches...and may just dig us out of this yet.

1 hour ago, fraz65 said:

How constructive.

At least now you can see how your constant comments are percieved.  Gie it a bye with your his record isn't good mince.  He has turned the utter gash left by golden shower boy into something half resembling a team.

One awful decision, two hits on the woodwork, a bad and a poor performance cost us yesterday.  But the trigger was the clusterf**k of a passback made by balatoni.

Open your eyes man and give the guy a break.