198 Million --Transfer madness goes higher n higher

Granted it only happens in a small number of countries and certain "rich" clubs with questionable backers ... but overall the transfer market keeps on getting sillier and more overblown by each passing year or should that be week ----when will it reach an end ?

*Barcelona forward Neymar has been given permission to discuss a world record 222m euro (£198m) transfer with Paris St-Germain. The Brazil international told his team-mates at training on Wednesday that he wanted to leave the Spanish club.

He was then given permission by Barca manager Ernesto Valverde not to train and to "sort out his future".

The 25-year-old contract has a release clause set at 222m euros, which PSG are understood to be ready to pay.

I'm quite ambivalent to the fee, modern contracts for the superstars have release clauses to ward off teams. If PSG choose to activate it thats their choice of course. The reason it disgusts me is that screams doing-it-for-the-money. Imagine leaving Barca (mas que un club) to join a flash in the pan outfit thats only here by the grace of Middle East oil. Stinks.

What will be more ga(u)lling is what he'll be getting paid. And his dad, and his agent.   

1 hour ago, fmcc said:

I'm quite ambivalent to the fee, modern contracts for the superstars have release clauses to ward off teams. If PSG choose to activate it thats their choice of course. The reason it disgusts me is that screams doing-it-for-the-money. Imagine leaving Barca (mas que un club) to join a flash in the pan outfit thats only here by the grace of Middle East oil. Stinks.

What will be more ga(u)lling is what he'll be getting paid. And his dad, and his agent.   

Apparently, the delay in PSG moving was so that Neymar's Dad could get the £30M+ commission he was due if his lad was there after 31/7/17.

Edited by ross1987

31 minutes ago, ross1987 said:

Apparently, the delay in PSG moving was so that Neymar's Dad could get the £30M+ commission he was due if his lad was their after 31/7/17.

Read that last week yeah. Here's what Barca said about it in their statement earlier, "Furthermore, in reply to the claim for the contract extension bonus, the Club has once again made it clear that the amount remains deposited with a notary until the case is resolved."

Would seem to be related to if he signed an extension to the contract. But we'll never know the full details of these murky deals

I remember Darragh McAnthony talking about his experiences with players agents, really honestly and refreshingly on talksport. In particular he touched on players Fathers acting as agents.

Sometimes it was the ideal scenario, advising their kid to stay down a level at Peterborough and make realistic demands, knowing they'd get exposure and first team football. Others he said demanded silly amounts for their sons, effectively killing their careers before they had begun. Wanted houses, cars etc.

Newcastle wanted Tammy Abraham, on loan from Chelsea. Apparently refusing to do the deal because the lads family wanted £2m from any move?? Swansea took him and the next day he was posting photos of his parents new Aston Martins. f**king Mental 

That is mental indeed. 

On Humper's point, for the last few months Talksport on a Sunday night have been doing a run of shows with Danny baker/kelly (I never know which one) and the guy Simon (parish?) ex owner of Crystal Palace. I didn't catch all the shows as I essentially hate Talksport but only switched it on after Sportsound finished. Fairly confident that a bubble bursting is coming. Happens with all industries, why should football be any different etc etc. I think I read that subscriber numbers are falling at Sky and BTSport as more and more watch illegal streams of games, or others have lost interest due to over saturation. Will be interesting to see how the next decade develops

This is the most disgusting transfer ever, regardless of the fee.  It's the Qatar sports people that bought the WC that own PSG doing this and Qatar been sanctioned by all its gulf neighbours for links to ISIS, so they buy the most expensive footballer to show they are still an international force.

It's everything thats wrong with modern football and more political a transfer than you might expect.

15 hours ago, Scooter said:

Qatar is basically just a huge petrol station with, literally, money to burn!

Qatar is a pariah state which discriminates against women, dissidents and migrants workers, even by Gulf state standards, and sponsors terrorism.

Spunking their money on a football player - and, for that matter, sponsoring the Glorious Goodwood fesitival - is the least thing to get outraged about.

Is it an inflated market or is it an accurate reflection of the commercial worth of the top players?

I read today that every time Cristiano Ronaldo makes an instagram post involving a Nike or Tag Heuer product, it's worth around £1.2 million in advertising. Nike recouped their £1 billion sponsorship money within two years.

The question really is how much of this revenue do the clubs see? Have PSG bought Neymar's commercial rights in addition to his playing rights?

Personally I think there is still some way to go before the transfer and wage levels in football start to plateau.

5 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Is it an inflated market or is it an accurate reflection of the commercial worth of the top players?

Absolutely not.  Is the Qatar foundation, Gas/ Oil company putting money down.

If was Barca or Real, even Man United paying that kind money is different story - but this is sort of unfair financial push that leads to WC's in places like Qatar.

It's not PSG that are buying him - is Qatar - if was PSG that could afford it I wouldn't have problem with it.

6 hours ago, RAG said:

If was Barca or Real, even Man United paying that kind money is different story - but this is sort of unfair financial push that leads to WC's in places like Qatar.

It's not PSG that are buying him - is Qatar - if was PSG that could afford it I wouldn't have problem with it.

Away and don't talk s**te. It's a massive f**k you to the status quo who have corrupted the game for decades, including the three clubs you've mentioned, and their best pals at UEFA. Fair f**ks to PSG, I suspect this might be the end of Barcelona trying to tap up their best players for a while. Tremendous.

in terms of the general spiralling transfer market -- the billions spent so far will be added to in the next week or 2 with few "big transfers" set to be finalised ---as Clubs scramble to compete with rivals for a select few of the top players --- and even the fees paid for "lower grade ones" will see prices go higher 

12 hours ago, RAG said:

How long do you think it will be until Man Utd or Real pay $200 million for a player? 

22 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

How long do you think it will be until Man Utd or Real pay $200 million for a player? 

Both Real and Barca are building or upgrading their stadiums, the money spent in La Liga has (until now)  actually been less than in 2007 summer window.

Man U are the only team that could afford $200m.  The bubble will burst from this TV deal quicker than expected.  In the USA  sports they are looking at a third drop in audience 'cos of streaming boxes - sames reported here.  The next TV deal, won't be as big, then they'll be a crash like in Italian football in the 1990s.

Interestingly though, I see PSG are saying they were worth $1bn before Naymar and $1,5bn now - which makes you wonder if it's most similar to Newcastle buying Shearer just before they floated on the stock exchange

Edited by RAG

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/08/2017 at 2:15 PM, RAG said:

Both Real and Barca are building or upgrading their stadiums, the money spent in La Liga has (until now)  actually been less than in 2007 summer window.

Man U are the only team that could afford $200m.  The bubble will burst from this TV deal quicker than expected.  In the USA  sports they are looking at a third drop in audience 'cos of streaming boxes - sames reported here.  The next TV deal, won't be as big, then they'll be a crash like in Italian football in the 1990s.

Interestingly though, I see PSG are saying they were worth $1bn before Naymar and $1,5bn now - which makes you wonder if it's most similar to Newcastle buying Shearer just before they floated on the stock exchange

Interestingly enough, Real's stadium expansion is largely being financed from the middle east. That oil money is ok though because it's not going to PSG or Man City.

I see uefa have opened up investigations into PSG after the transfers of Neymar and Mbappe, looks like Real and Barcelona have went greeting that a big boy has came into the playground and threatened their dominance.