St Johnstone (H) Match Fred

killiekosmos

3 minutes ago, Thirdwatch1965 said:

Deserved a draw. St John have been well orginised for a few seasons now and killie are playing catch up. We will get there when players get more game time. Negative for was fans booing after 25 mins,get a grip people.  Greer strolled that game and will be good for us.

Booing after 25mins? That's absolutely outrageous, 25mins into the season with an overhauled squad, against a well established team. Come on. 

7 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Power was brought on to shore up the midfield last 5 mins, had 1 touch then chased shadows after that, no way that guy is good enough to play in the top flight, a total waste of a signing & wage.....

So basically same as Frizzel and McKenzie?

Power isn't match fit and he wasn't at fault for goal.

I don't think Power should have been brought on. Can hardly blame him for getting a few minutes and trying to stop them playing. If he'd been on for longer definitely yeah I'd agree 

1 minute ago, jesper said:

Booing after 25mins? That's absolutely outrageous, 25mins into the season with an overhauled squad, against a well established team. Come on. 

Long ball, lost, Saints attack. Long ball, lost, Saints attack. And repeat. Fully deserved booing. 

Just now, jesper said:

I wasn't there today, but I posted the same re Erwin/Boyd against Dumbarton, the shift in Boydie's presence was huge last week too. I'd imagine McCulloch will recognise this soon, if not next week! 

I hope so as well , they play off each other so well and actually give us an outlet for the ball. Certainly better than lone bodyie.

4 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Long ball, lost, Saints attack. Long ball, lost, Saints attack. And repeat. Fully deserved booing. 

That mentality is why our home form is so shocking. We're a new team, full of youngsters (not as many as last season, granted) but to start a season off by getting boo'd, it's hardly morale lifting is it? Try inspiring the team, cheering them on. That'll help a whole lot more than totally demoralising them. 

Got what we deserved because we let ourselves down at the end. Wilson, McKenzie, Power, Frizzell, Taylor and Broadfoot. O'Hallaron strolled by them all. St Johnstone set the example whenever our ball players got on the ball. Kick, pull, push, knee, elbow just do whatever it takes to stop the man especially at a crucial stage of the game. 

First goal was a Broadfoot horror showing. The whole first half we were poor and McKenzie would've been as well on the golf course. 

Second we started better. I was surprised Burke came off as he was one of our better players. Erwin turned the game. Good link up with Boyd and the wide players. 

Thought Greer was a class above everyone else. Broadfoot was pretty decent bar the two goals where he didn't cover himself in glory and ultimately that is what he is judged on. Boyd looked good when Erwin was close to him as he was too isolated in the first half. 

Was a strange sub bringing Power on for Thomas. Thomas was a threat and if he was injured Samizadeh, Graham or one of the fullbacks off the bench may have been a better option. Power as I said above could perhaps have taken the onus to stop O'Hallaron but it wasn't solely his fault.

Thought MacDonald looked nervous. First half especially he made a couple of bad shouts. I was questioning him at the first goal but I need to see it again and don't want to be too harsh. 

We need to address the midfield problem. McKenzie was lost. Frizzell was doing it all himself and on a booking. We need another option in there even when Dicker is fit. As said elsewhere we can't afford to carry Rory for most of the season in the hope he has one of his good games. 

Don't think Broadfoot will be the worst signing, remember he hardly played at all last season so he needs time to get up to speed. I reckon him and Greer will be decent for us they appear to both be leaders and talk the whole game.

Early days, it's a new team who need to get used to each other and there were promising signs today.

Actually feel pretty positive despite the result. Thought the shape of the team was much better when Erwin came on and gave SJ something else to have to think about. Defence by and large untroubled though two shockers for the goals. Need to take a lesson from SJ and just take the foul and yellow card in situations like those leading up to the winner. Broadfoot made a complete arse of the challenge on the left side in the lead up and we didn't recover.

We bossed the majority of the second half and was great to hear the crowd getting behind the team. Erwin coming on seemed to get Boyd and JJ into the game a lot more.

Positives

Erwin

JJ and DT

Frizz

Gorgeous Gordon did ok

Ian Wilson

Boydy's freekick

Dealt with corners and freekicks better

Negatives

McDonald's slow distribution

McKenzie was anonymous and nearly sold the jersey in the second half

Not getting in front when dominating

Lack of challenges for both goals

Edited by Killiesnow

Yet again not good enough.. Seems all too familiar,  when we pressed for a 15 minute spell they looked rattled,  we failed to take advantage and reverted to stand and watch passing the man on and failing to take responsibility. Got to improve the home form as that today was unacceptable. 

Sick fed up watching professional footballers who can't do the basics. St. Johnstone are no Brazil but they are professional know how to do the dirty side of the game and dig out points they shouldn't have got. We didn't deserve to lose that game but did because no one was prepared to kick, push  elbow, block or just pull down O"Halloran. They done it to us the whole game especially Jones and that's why there away up the road with 3 points and we are left with f ck all again from a game at home. Sat in the house seething 

Edited by Gaffer

The amount of negativity on this thread is beyond belief. Folk absolutely slating our players, LM not good enough, Frizzell not competent enough for the top flight etc etc...it's embarrassing.

It's the opening day of the season, jeezo. I'm not going into a full scale rant because I've done that before in a similar vein.

All I'm saying is, some fans on here need a reality check. They don't think of the bigger picture. OK we lost a last minute goal but it was a wondergoal and those things happen. Also, we're playing St Johnstone, a very well drilled side who consistently qualify for Europe under their very shrewd manager Tommy Wright.

On the other hand, we're a team in progress. Folk expect too much from us imo.

Let the season take its course and things will get better. Stop the negativity.

Hope some understand my point.

37 minutes ago, DuncD said:

So basically same as Frizzel and McKenzie?

Power isn't match fit and he wasn't at fault for goal.

I don't think Power should have been brought on. Can hardly blame him for getting a few minutes and trying to stop them playing. If he'd been on for longer definitely yeah I'd agree 

But you also don't take off the best player on the park & stick on a guy who isn't fit and chased shadows for the time he was on the pitch, has McCulloch learned nothing from the change last season against Aberdeen that cost us two goals from a 1-0 lead? No matter how you try to defend it, Power is simply out his depth in the Scottish top flight. Would agree we need at least 1 midfielder, even once Dicker returns.

SJ are a professional outfit in every respect and at times just let us lose possession through there pressing game . We were too pedestrian in the 1st  half but there are signs that we can be better this season even if LM persists with Boyd . Wilson was a bonus at RB and is miles better than O'Donnell , Irwin up front with Boyd looks a partnership in the making,but I was disappointed with our LHS. Taylor is a hooky in the making but other teams will aim high balls in his direction all day so we must make allowances for that tactic. 

JJ was anonymous because he was starved of possession and when he got it was fouled ...as I said SJ are professional.

Thomas had a good game and probably surprised SJ and was tighter marked in the 2nd half yet still managed to create a few chances 

All in all our usual start to a season but there are small shoots of recovery and signs of progress .

keep the faith Killie fans 

The only real difference between the two teams was they were clever when we weren't. That's a big positive. They scored two goals but they came from Killie mistakes not great St Johnstone play(unless you believe Sportsound). I recall one other chance when Davidson tried his luck from almost halfway. Overall we marshalled them quite well considering how attacking we were setup and that one of our midfielders was posted missing leaving Frizz to battle three in the center. We created some good chances in the second half and only some good goalkeeping kept us out. 

Had someone taken it upon themsethemselves to clatter O'Hallaron we'd have come away with a good point but with plenty of room for improvement. It's not pretty but it's part of football. Hopefully it's a lesson learned. That today I think was the fifth or sixth back four combination of the season. We will need to find the settled combination and give them time to gel.