St Johnstone (H) Match Fred

killiekosmos

I get the need to be positive. And there are positives. Plenty of them. I think Greet absolutely strolled the game and our defence, generally, looks an improvement. Thomas and Jones will cause teams problems. The Erwin and Boyd partnership looks like it can work.

I'm harsh because McCulloch seems to be making the same mistakes he made at the end of last season, particularly after the split, the same mistakes he made in the cup and again we have them in the league.

I get that we need to positive and get behind the team. But the club also needs to expect a higher standard. That's the difference between a team like St Johnstone and us. We showed that we can match them in that second half. Which is great. But there's no excuse for not having that level of performance from the word go.

I said booing was deserved. I don't boo the team myself but I fully appreciate why people did. I see it as more towards the management than the team. The fans in the east stand were full of support today, particularly with Jones when his head went down for a bit in the second half. 

13 minutes ago, AyrshireKillieG97 said:

The amount of negativity on this thread is beyond belief. Folk absolutely slating our players, LM not good enough, Frizzell not competent enough for the top flight etc etc...it's embarrassing.

It's the opening day of the season, jeezo. I'm not going into a full scale rant because I've done that before in a similar vein.

All I'm saying is, some fans on here need a reality check. They don't think of the bigger picture. OK we lost a last minute goal but it was a wondergoal and those things happen. Also, we're playing St Johnstone, a very well drilled side who consistently qualify for Europe under their very shrewd manager Tommy Wright.

On the other hand, we're a team in progress. Folk expect too much from us imo.

Let the season take its course and things will get better. Stop the negativity.

Hope some understand my point.

After five solid years of the same garbage we're entitled to be negative. It's utterly depressing and I'm sick to the back teeth of " work in progresses ". We are slow, predictable, pedestrian and lightweight. The sole positive was Erwin and even that was a negative as he should have been on from the start. Why are every other team we ever play better organised and quicker on the break. Honestly, it was like walking football at the back at times between Broadfoot and Greer. God knows what the improvement overall from last season is that some can see. I think, for instance Dicker/ Ajer are miles better than Greer/ Broadfoot. Our only hope is that Dicker can improve the midfield and Power and Kiltie get fit. A real chance it will be three starts and three defeats this time next week. I hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, mitch14 said:

I get the need to be positive. And there are positives. Plenty of them. I think Greet absolutely strolled the game and our defence, generally, looks an improvement. Thomas and Jones will cause teams problems. The Erwin and Boyd partnership looks like it can work.

I'm harsh because McCulloch seems to be making the same mistakes he made at the end of last season, particularly after the split, the same mistakes he made in the cup and again we have them in the league.

I get that we need to positive and get behind the team. But the club also needs to expect a higher standard. That's the difference between a team like St Johnstone and us. We showed that we can match them in that second half. Which is great. But there's no excuse for not having that level of performance from the word go.

I said booing was deserved. I don't boo the team myself but I fully appreciate why people did. I see it as more towards the management than the team. The fans in the east stand were full of support today, particularly with Jones when his head went down for a bit in the second half. 

We matched them for 15 minutes. It's five years of hurt not 25 minutes. 

Midfield is too lightweight with to many round pegs square holes or wingers playing central. Were to easy to play against with boyd up front himself as mobility not his best feature. With irwin or other gives their defence something to think about. Plus humping ball after ball up to boyd doesn't work as midfield never get beyond him like bryson did.

4 minutes ago, WIGHT and BLUE said:

If it's so obvious to our forum 'experts ', why can't McCulloch START a game with our 2nd. half set up? 

Answers on a postcard. Even Tommy Wright spoke about how much that change gave them difficulties, meaning he had to make subs himself. 

27 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

But you also don't take off the best player on the park & stick on a guy who isn't fit and chased shadows for the time he was on the pitch, has McCulloch learned nothing from the change last season against Aberdeen that cost us two goals from a 1-0 lead? No matter how you try to defend it, Power is simply out his depth in the Scottish top flight. Would agree we need at least 1 midfielder, even once Dicker returns.

I agree with you except for the part he's out his depth in top flight. He's only played 10 minutes of top flight football.

Il judge him once fit and with some proper playing time on park though.

Also agree re 1 extra midfielder 

43 minutes ago, MJout said:

Are you for real?

What did Friz do today?

IMO he's not a central midfielder. He didn't show more than 2/3 times for ball, was 5 yards off his man constantly and just chases shadows. Him and Rory were extremely poor. 

Against your weaker teams like Hamilton, county, well I think he'd be effective with a dicker type next to him but I don't see him as a top division starter. Just my opinion though.

For me the issue was midfield, as folk have said the game just passed McKenzie by and Burke doesn't look fully fit to me.

If we go too 4-4-2 with Boyd and Erwin upfront then I see no position for Burke because his work rate and general mobility does not suit a midfield of 2 so for that reason I get why he was the one subbed today even though he was perhaps looking like one of our most creative players, he would be an excellent impact sub imo.

Greer looks solid and I would love to see a partnership of him and Ajer but I feel that's very very unlikely to happen now.

Erwin changed the game, when he came on Boyd became twice as effective by doing half the work in a way.

Would love a new right back and a powerful midfielder in the mould of Abdul Osman and Partick or Jackson Irvine, basically someone mobile while also having a big physical presence.

All in all I'm still positive about this season and can see us only improving with time, St Johnstone are a very well drilled and organised team so no need to panic yet, and we will play a lot weaker teams such as Hamilton, Dundee and Motherwell etc

The central defence, although not without fault over the game in other areas, have probably put in the most dominant display with high balls that I've seen from a pairing for many a year for us. This is a big part of their job and they did it very well.

Broadfoot had a few bad mistakes today, but over the piece, don't think he deserves the pelters he was getting during the game, on here tonight. I also think he was a bit unfortunate for a few things today and if he cuts them the individual errors, he will be fine.

Anyone who thought you could throw a team together and it would click immediately is an idiot. Especially when three of our better players were unavailable today, for various reasons. Things will come good once they've had a bit of time together.

Once Dicker comes in to protect the back four, we'll see a totally different performance. Those wee niggly fouls and sly blocks other teams do, will become part of our makeup too. 

With Bell in goals we'll have better distribution and be able to feed Jones and Thomas quicker. We'll be able to counter attack quicker than most teams 

A fit Kiltie will give us penetration, the problem is where do you play him? I prefer him just off the strikers, but I don't feel we're strong enough in midfield to go with two wingers plus Kiltie and Dicker. That's why I think  LM is preserving with a lone striker. 

Our problem isnt the team or players, its our fans. We have the foundation of a decent side.

I understand fans frustrations having built up over years of poor signings, poor performances, relegation fight one season to the next. Those who are so consumed with rage and anger, who find it acceptable to shout abuse at your own team need to have a look at yourselves. As far as I'm concerned it isnt rational how some people act and these people have deeper, personal issues outside of football, use football as an outlet.

I get the arguement you pay to watch the team so you are entitled to say what you want, however, how would any of us like it if someone gave us abuse at work? I used to work in call centres and experienced what horrible c**ts some people can be. It didnt motivate me one bit, just made me hate that environment.

I had to put up way some guy sitting behind me today, shouting abuse at Boyd and anyone who's pass went astray. It pisses me off. I didnt pay £350 again to listen to that. Folk are so self consumed they dont realise when ur speiling your negativity everyone around you has to put up with it.

Aye have a rant or moan but keep it in check ffs. Support the team, support each other as fans and lets look forward to a new era and fingers crossed a good season. Top 6! 

KTID

Listening to McCulloch on BBC Thomas was done when he came off. He's also disappointed in the goals conceded. States that the second wouldn't have been scored if roles were reversed. 

I don't think the manager was to blame for us losing that today. There were enough players in a position to stop the first phase of the attack for the goal and then stop O'Hallaron after that. You can't compare today to Aberdeen. His change that day changed the whole flow of a game. Today the players let him down at the death.

It was a little concerning he was happy with the first half display as I thought we were poor and we haven't really started games well so far this season. 

After a poor first half, yet again under LM we do not start a game well.......we played some better football n second period.......

but then switched off and were not able to cope , like the first goal , when attacked by a player on the deck .....the art of tackling seems to be lost with some of our team ......

was worried before game with our central midfield and it was proved correct......problem we had last season in that area has not been fixed as yet, 

just have to hope Dicker is back soon and stays fit 

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

You are so far off the mark, how can he play when ball is punted up front. Get aff the drugs pal.

You can show to the defence by making yourself available...dropping off marker....demanding ball

Greek/Kirk both looked as though they were waiting for someone from midfield to collect ball to play it up. After Rory and Friz didn't they resorted to punting it long.

With exception of Thomas nobody seemed desperate for ball,

Im not on drugs pal merely giving an opinion. 

3 minutes ago, piffer said:

Listening to McCulloch on BBC Thomas was done when he came off. He's also disappointed in the goals conceded. States that the second wouldn't have been scored iIt was a little concerning he was happy with the first half display as I thought we were poor and we haven't really started games well so far this season. 

Didn't hear the interview but that's really worrying if he was happy with the first half. 

5 minutes ago, KTIDanny85 said:

Our problem isnt the team or players, its our fans. We have the foundation of a decent side.

I understand fans frustrations having built up over years of poor signings, poor performances, relegation fight one season to the next. Those who are so consumed with rage and anger, who find it acceptable to shout abuse at your own team need to have a look at yourselves. As far as I'm concerned it isnt rational how some people act and these people have deeper, personal issues outside of football, use football as an outlet.

I get the arguement you pay to watch the team so you are entitled to say what you want, however, how would any of us like it if someone gave us abuse at work? I used to work in call centres and experienced what horrible c**ts some people can be. It didnt motivate me one bit, just made me hate that environment.

I had to put up way some guy sitting behind me today, shouting abuse at Boyd and anyone who's pass went astray. It pisses me off. I didnt pay £350 again to listen to that. Folk are so self consumed they dont realise when ur speiling your negativity everyone around you has to put up with it.

Aye have a rant or moan but keep it in check ffs. Support the team, support each other as fans and lets look forward to a new era and fingers crossed a good season. Top 6! 

KTID

Can't disagree with this. I'm already asking if I want to have another season of going to the games.

Not because of the team or the manager - they can, and will be, good bad or indifferent over the season, but boy, do a lot in our support know how to bring you down with their constant negativity and abuse at the games. Fifteen minutes into the game and someone was giving Lee McCulloch pelters. I don't get it.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

You are so far off the mark, how can he play when ball is punted up front. Get aff the drugs pal.

IF he made space for himself then the ball wouldn't have had to be punted up. Midfield guilty of hiding behind players especially in first half. In their defence it's the manager who dictates the style of play! Roll on week 2

1 minute ago, Joe said:

FFS wee frizz shows constantly for the ball, rarely lose the ball when given it. The first goal was a result of Taylor being so far up the park out of position. every ball by Taylor is so predictable either a punt to the corner flag or back to Broadfoot. The second goal at least Frizz made an attempt.

Your defending Power but slagging Frizz & McKenzie sorry but the majority of replies on here disagree with you. too many people want big heffers and not footballers. Like you just my opinion. But !00% disagree with you pal. Sorry.

He wasn't showing today. Myself and others around me commented on it. (Not just him but Rory included)

Didn't mention 1st goal? I didn't see how far Taylor was up so il take your word for it pal.

Power, until he's fit / given decent run il reserve judgement. I think that's only fair would you not agree?

I don't want 'heffers' (except big boydy) id prefer footballers but against a physical team like saints you need someone to compete with Davidson, Alston etc.

I don't have favourites I just call it as I see it

Gutted to be honest. First half we didn't look at the races, their goal was horrendous defending from Broadfoot, just let him waltz into box and shoot when he wanted. Second half especially when erwin came on was so much better, almost straight away, flick onto Jones who won the freekick. Boyds strike was an absolute thunderbastard, peach of a goal. After that we dominated and realistically could've scored 2 or 3 more. Disappointing misses. Boyd Linked well with Irwin, Thomas had a great game. Frizzell, Mckenzie were poor today, friz was more down to being marked out game. Jones hardly had a sniff from foster till second half.

refereeing as expected was poor, stop start all game. 

The second saints goal was an embarrasment. Not one player thought put that prick in the air, most likely a free kick away but not  necessarily a goal.

We'll play worse teams this season than st johnstone and i'd fancy our chances. 2 lapses from our defence cost us. Greer on a side note strolled it and looks sharp and didn't seem to tire as game went on

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Was simply saying goals were not a result of poor midfield. Yes u don't want heffers but say Frizz was the size of mascot meaning all footballers have to be big. If you play football stature dosen't matter. No one can run faster than a ball. Ironically everyone around me thought Taylor Jones, Broadfoot were poor. But hey ho its all about opinions, lets hope they learn quick. have a good evening. Scottish mentality is all about physicality always will be. hence the reason our teams at club and national level do nowt.

Said I'd rather have the mascot ;) didn't mean size... was just being cheeky though as was frustrated and meant tongue in cheek. I do rate friz technically I just don't think he's anymore than a squad player.

I ageee about those 3. Thought Jones came into it more second half but Taylor didn't look himself but was still solid. Big Kirk wasn't great but I think hel come good. 

I think there's lots to be positive about currently. Bring on Tuesday....

1 hour ago, AyrshireKillieG97 said:

The amount of negativity on this thread is beyond belief. Folk absolutely slating our players, LM not good enough, Frizzell not competent enough for the top flight etc etc...it's embarrassing.

It's the opening day of the season, jeezo. I'm not going into a full scale rant because I've done that before in a similar vein.

All I'm saying is, some fans on here need a reality check. They don't think of the bigger picture. OK we lost a last minute goal but it was a wondergoal and those things happen. Also, we're playing St Johnstone, a very well drilled side who consistently qualify for Europe under their very shrewd manager Tommy Wright.

On the other hand, we're a team in progress. Folk expect too much from us imo.

Let the season take its course and things will get better. Stop the negativity.

Hope some understand my point.

Agreed.

10 signed players at the start of the season, new management team. Years of turmoil behind the scenes, Greer signs - too old. Boyd - he's finished. all of a sudden we are meant to be the best thing slice bread - really?

life goes on as a Killie fan.