St Johnstone (H) Match Fred

killiekosmos

They were undoubtedly the better side 1st half. A team long in the tooth with their experience evident all over the pitch. You can see why they consistently finish top 4 or 5. Press early in a match, get a goal ahead, and then try to strangle the game from thereon in. Unfortunately they are the masters of it. 1st half agree that Greer, Thomas and Burke were decent,with others a bit slow out of the traps.

2nd half different game altogether. As mentioned Erwin made a significant difference and we look a much more dangerous proposition with the 2 up top. Much greater urgency all round bringing what at the time was a deserved equaliser. Obviously shocking defending at their 2nd goal, which was sickening at that stage, especially as a draw would have been a decent result,against a strong side.

Plus points-Greer strolled through the game, Erwin and Thomas both look promising. We have a manager who isn't afraid to change things around fairly quickly into the 2nd half when Plan A isn't working.

Could do better: Obviously the defending for both goals, and also switching on much quicker at the start of a match,and not letting the other side get such a foothold in the opening 15-20mins.

Still onwards in the League to the Hearts game and hopefully a home win next Saturday.

5 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

We need a nasty bastard in our team. Too nicey nicey. 

Someone like Mckinnon of Hamilton .

Maybe Power can offer this if he gets himself fit.

Gary Dicker brings this to the team, I'm going down the line of being nasty or whatever but he is a proper professional player and knows how to look after himself and the team.

McKinnon is a Junior player and we can do better than that.

18 minutes ago, jesper said:

And you think 90 mins into a 36 game season is enough time to make a reasoned judgement on that? Come on. 

By all accounts, and from what I witnessed last weekend, McCulloch is learning how to change a game. Erwin seemed to do it today, Erwin/JJ did it last week. 

As I, and many others have said, yes the current first team might be making some mistakes but they're a new team and learning each other's ways with each game. I agree, we need to improve, but we need to give both McCulloch and the team more than 1 Premiership game to do that. St Johnstone are a well established side, built up over a few seasons now. By all accounts a couple of stupid mistakes costs today, so there's no reason why we can't build a team that would be capable of getting results regularly. But booing and hammering the squad and picking out individuals for slaughtering just isn't going to be conducive to that, that kind of "support" will have us beaten before kick off every week. 

Sorry maybe I am a bit harsh on our team after as you say 90 minutes of a new season how silly of me to have expectations that we could actually achieve a few basic things during a match like stop conceding poor goals or making tackles to stop opposing players to run right across our area and deposit the ball in the back of the onion bag but he ho as you say plenty more games left to try and do this!

2 hours ago, KTIDanny85 said:

Our problem isnt the team or players, its our fans. We have the foundation of a decent side.

I understand fans frustrations having built up over years of poor signings, poor performances, relegation fight one season to the next. Those who are so consumed with rage and anger, who find it acceptable to shout abuse at your own team need to have a look at yourselves. As far as I'm concerned it isnt rational how some people act and these people have deeper, personal issues outside of football, use football as an outlet.

I get the arguement you pay to watch the team so you are entitled to say what you want, however, how would any of us like it if someone gave us abuse at work? I used to work in call centres and experienced what horrible c**ts some people can be. It didnt motivate me one bit, just made me hate that environment.

I had to put up way some guy sitting behind me today, shouting abuse at Boyd and anyone who's pass went astray. It pisses me off. I didnt pay £350 again to listen to that. Folk are so self consumed they dont realise when ur speiling your negativity everyone around you has to put up with it.

Aye have a rant or moan but keep it in check ffs. Support the team, support each other as fans and lets look forward to a new era and fingers crossed a good season. Top 6! 

KTID

Spot on mate. Sitting in the east stand is hard work listening to some of the fuds in attendance. Idiots booing everytime the ball went backwards - obviously not grasping the concept of possession football or how patient build up works. Strangely these are the same people that boo when the ball is hurriedly lumped up field. Are Killie fans the worst in the league? Probably safe to say so.

Dissapointing result in the end but today we had a period of about 20 minutes where we were fantastic. Killie players were lining up for a shot at goal and on another day we win that match comfortably. People are going to moan for the sake of it if they are that way inclined, but these people should know that the rest of us are bored listening to them.

4 minutes ago, Bbk said:

Sorry maybe I am a bit harsh on our team after as you say 90 minutes of a new season how silly of me to have expectations that we could actually achieve a few basic things during a match like stop conceding poor goals or making tackles to stop opposing players to run right across our area and deposit the ball in the back of the onion bag but he ho as you say plenty more games left to try and do this!

Glad you agree. 

5 minutes ago, jesper said:

Glad you agree. 

Time for bed. Sarcasm has set in for the night by the look of it. 

Hopefully by tomorrow the common  sense fairy has visited planet RP and it's supporters.

If not I'll continue to watch Dads Army and follow the friendly Scottish undertaker in his favourite saying - " We're Doomed "

5 hours ago, red_dug said:

Absolute shocker of a substitution from mcculloch. Cost us the game by playing for a draw by bringing on power for thomas.

Ball passed right by power before ohalloran got it on the left. Absolute diddy.

Can't agree that Thomas shouldn't have come off - he had a good game but it was clear to me that he was knackered. Getting on a fresh player was a good idea but maybe Power wasn't the right call.

1 hour ago, jesper said:

And you think 90 mins into a 36 game season is enough time to make a reasoned judgement on that? Come on. 

By all accounts, and from what I witnessed last weekend, McCulloch is learning how to change a game. Erwin seemed to do it today, Erwin/JJ did it last week. 

As I, and many others have said, yes the current first team might be making some mistakes but they're a new team and learning each other's ways with each game. I agree, we need to improve, but we need to give both McCulloch and the team more than 1 Premiership game to do that. St Johnstone are a well established side, built up over a few seasons now. By all accounts a couple of stupid mistakes costs today, so there's no reason why we can't build a team that would be capable of getting results regularly. But booing and hammering the squad and picking out individuals for slaughtering just isn't going to be conducive to that, that kind of "support" will have us beaten before kick off every week. 

Spot on.

So let me get this right. In our last competitive game against Dumbarton we started with one up front and the same tactics as today in the first half. Both were dire.  Second half against Dumbarton he changed formation and brought Erwin on - it was night and day.  So against far superior opposition today he decides to start with the same tactics that didn't work against Dumbarton. What the feck did he think had changed over the space of a week.  Not exactly the sharpest tool in the box is he. 

35 minutes ago, posh79 said:

So let me get this right. In our last competitive game against Dumbarton we started with one up front and the same tactics as today in the first half. Both were dire.  Second half against Dumbarton he changed formation and brought Erwin on - it was night and day.  So against far superior opposition today he decides to start with the same tactics that didn't work against Dumbarton. What the feck did he think had changed over the space of a week.  Not exactly the sharpest tool in the box is he. 

One way of looking at it...just looked up stats...I think he has had 19 games in charge...7 wins...7 defeats...his managerial career is in its infancy...personally I wasn't too bothered if he got the job or not but he has put together a very decent squad (obviously supported by the board) and my opinion is that the football has improved...gradually...I for one will give him time...he may just be sharpening the tools :)

Edited by jock
correction

1 minute ago, jock said:

One way of looking at it...just looked up stats...I think he has had 19 games in charge...7 wins...7 defeats...his managerial career is in it's infancy...personally I wasn't too bothered if he got the job or not but he has put together a very decent squad (obviously supported by the board) and my opinion is that the football has improved...gradually...I for one will give him time...he may just be sharpening the tools :)

No doubting his transfer business. I'm pleased with that.  If something isn't working though you can't persist with it.  Learn from mistakes, when something works don't change it. Just wish he could see the problems that a glaringly obvious to everyone else watch the game. 

It didn't work vs Dumbarton and he changed it. It wasn't working today and he changed it. That's a step in the right direction from last season when he couldn't change it. It wasn't working first half but we never really looked like going further behind.

Just because something worked with half an hour to go doesn't mean it would've worked from the start. Likewise if it's working at the start there are no guarantees it will be successful for ninety minutes.

Went to see Bohemians in Prague at the weekend play Sparta and it was as far removed from a Killie game as you can get in terms of supporter attitude. Songs ALL game. Went down 1-0 within ten minutes to a shocking challenge which led to a penalty.....fans sung louder. They equalised in the last minute and you'd have thought they'd won the cup. Team came out at the end and celebrated for half an hour. I had fun. Nobody moaned, nobody booed. There were 800 Bohemians fans there.

Are the team beyond criticism? Course not. This idea though that because you're "long suffering fans" and you pay a lot of money each week to see the team gives you carte blanche to funnel your crap life by way of unceasing negativity onto the rest of us every Saturday is the snidest patter there is. As long as the team are giving it their all on the pitch we should be supporting them 100%, whether they be pish or not. You might find that unrelenting support from the fans in the terraces actually translates to the team running through walls for us on the park.

Don't like that? Away and support Celtic, they win a lot.

Edited by aumgn

Taylor was off his game today imo, we had a few chances to break with JJ in front of him but instead of putting the ball over the top for him to run onto (he had the speed over the defender) he shouts for him to come back and collect it which takes his speed out the equation and the defender can then come in and pressure so the ball has to go back.

McDonald again was too slow with his distribution. He also must be fitted with the same thing that the Tesco trolleys have to stop them going over a line in the pavement, he was rooted to his line far too often which gave me the fear everytime the ball was crossed into the box, luckily the SJ players couldn't connect with the ball.

As others have said LM needs to start the game with Boyd and Erwin upfront (especially at home) which will give the defence problems and can also create space for JJ & DT to run into. 

Taking DT off and replacing him with Power and pushing McKenzie out wide didn't work as Rory doesn't look comfortable/interested being out there (imo he should've done more against O'Hallaron to stop his run at the outset).

Even with these points I think we have the makings of a top six side.

KTID

:hurrah:

5 hours ago, aumgn said:

Went to see Bohemians in Prague at the weekend play Sparta and it was as far removed from a Killie game as you can get in terms of supporter attitude. Songs ALL game. Went down 1-0 within ten minutes to a shocking challenge which led to a penalty.....fans sung louder. They equalised in the last minute and you'd have thought they'd won the cup. Team came out at the end and celebrated for half an hour. I had fun. Nobody moaned, nobody booed. There were 800 Bohemians fans there.

Are the team beyond criticism? Course not. This idea though that because you're "long suffering fans" and you pay a lot of money each week to see the team gives you carte blanche to funnel your crap life by way of unceasing negativity onto the rest of us every Saturday is the snidest patter there is. As long as the team are giving it their all on the pitch we should be supporting them 100%, whether they be pish or not. You might find that unrelenting support from the fans in the terraces actually translates to the team running through walls for us on the park.

Don't like that? Away and support Celtic, they win a lot.

This. People need to realise that they do make a difference to the team and the results. If players on the park showed the attitude of the fans we would have been relegated years ago.