St Johnstone (H) Match Fred

killiekosmos

16 minutes ago, historyman said:

Aye, if your definition of holding the attacker up is backtracking and allowing him into the box unchallenged then you are spot on.
And, of course, Macdonald is to blame for the goal. I could have put my house on that being your conclusion.

It's strange, it's almost like the only words you can read, are the ones criticising MacDonald. I have stated numerous times on this thread, the midfield and covering from other defenders was the issue. Broadfoot would have been stupid to lunge in outside the box unless the attacker took a poor touch. If he'd missed the attacker would have a clear run on goal. However that doesn't absolve MacDonald. The ball was hit straight at him. Any half decent keeper would've stopped it. The st Johnstone keeper certainly did in similar circumstances. 

Edited by Zorro

41 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Broadfoot was left exposed by the lack of midfield cover. He held the attacker up and delayed him long enough for those missing midfielders and the other defenders to make recovery runs and adjust their positions. Instead they chose to stand back and watch. He gets his body shape wrong at the last moment when the attacker quickly shifts the ball to his other foot. Unfortunately Jamie MacDonald was unable to deal with a shot hit straight at him. 

I agree with your first sentence but he failed to hold up or slow down the player with the ball at all and more importantly failed to stop him before he was inside the 18 yard box.. I agree everybody else played statues for some reason so there should be a queue of people for an arse kicking. However no reasonable person could be disappointed with a keeper beaten from that range. I'm not saying the shot was unstoppable just that a stop from there would have been impressive.

3 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I agree with your first sentence but he failed to hold up or slow down the player with the ball at all and more importantly failed to stop him before he was inside the 18 yard box.. I agree everybody else played statues for some reason so there should be a queue of people for an arse kicking. However no reasonable person could be disappointed with a keeper beaten from that range. I'm not saying the shot was unstoppable just that a stop from there would have been impressive.

I'd be surprised if Broadfoot could run backwards, maintaining the same speed and distance from his opponent as any attacker running at full speed with the ball. So yes I would say he slowed down the attacker and held him up. He doesn't get the opportunity to try and tackle before the 18 yard box due to the aforementioned lack of covering. How many times does it have to be said, defenders are taught not to go lunging in, in that type of circumstance. The attacker has every advantage in a one on one situation. That is why any good defender waits for covering support. 

The St Johnstone keeper pulled off two very similar saves in the second half. One of them against one of the most prolific strikers in the recent history of the Scottish game. A player who'd already scored from "30 yards"  couldn't hit the ball straight through him.  I don't think either save was that impressive. They certainly won't make any save of the season reel put together by Sky or BT. You'd probably be able to see as "impressive" saves in any local park. 

Edited by Zorro

My thoughts on the game. Broadfoot should've done better for the first goal. He is showing Wotherspoon to the outside, which is fine, but he's completely side on meaning a simple cut-in to the left will leave him for dead. The second goal is pretty much self-explanatory, O'Halloran made that same diagonal run twice in the middle of the park. The alarm bells should've been ringing, so as soon as he attempted the same run near the 18 yard box, someone has to take him out. 

I'm quite happy with our performance, we could have won the game. Greer looked composed and was always trying to play the ball on the deck to the midfield, something we desperately need. Thomas was the bright spark in the first half, the only one trying to make things happen. Erwin was a game-changer, his first touch led to the free-kick that we scored and Wilson was solid enough playing out of position. I thought Frizzell did well, I don't understand the negative criticism towards him.

Broadfoot however...he played much better in the second half winning all his aerial battles and made a few important challenges in the box, but christ almighty he's lacking confidence. We need the player back that merited a move to Rangers back in the day. McKenzie looked lost, definitely playing out of position and I don't think he'll keep his spot when Kiltie and Dicker return. The rest were meh, Boyd did nothing until Erwin was introduced. 

One last point, we really do have the worst fans in Scotland. So many people complaining about the long ball in the first half and then moaning about the possession game in defence in the second. I'm a massive advocate of what the defence was trying to achieve by knocking the ball around, when's the last time that's happened? It keeps saints off the ball and Greer etc were obviously looking for gaps, long may it continue. 

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

It's strange, it's almost like the only words you can read, are the ones criticising MacDonald. I have stated numerous times on this thread, the midfield and covering from other defenders was the issue. Broadfoot would have been stupid to lunge in outside the box unless the attacker took a poor touch. If he'd missed the attacker would have a clear run on goal. However that doesn't absolve MacDonald. The ball was hit straight at him. Any half decent keeper would've stopped it. The st Johnstone keeper certainly did in similar circumstances. 

I can certainly read those words but I can't believe you have written them. The ball flew into the top corner of the net from about 12-14 yards.
I don't think any goalkeeper would be expected to save that.

4 hours ago, fmcc said:

Agreed, Greer strolled it. Which is a strange thing to say given we conceded two goals, but his confidence on the ball, and willingness to step out 5/10 yards with the ball was the catalyst to us getting back into the game. He was changing the momentum of their front four vs our back six, and this was enabling Thomas and Jones to get on the front foot. Just a shame it didn't happen more regularly. 

Yes and you don't get many centre backs that can pass as well as him with 2 feet. The trajectory of his passes were also great  as they we're lower drilled  were landing at feet and not on top of heads . Massive asset for the team

46 minutes ago, historyman said:

I can certainly read those words but I can't believe you have written them. The ball flew into the top corner of the net from about 12-14 yards.
I don't think any goalkeeper would be expected to save that.

Ah now it becomes clear. You've got poor eyesight or your glasses need a clean. The ball went in where MacDonald's head would have been if he hadn't inexplicably chosen to lie down. Nowhere near in the "postage stamp"' or "top bins". 

16 hours ago, Zorro said:

Ah now it becomes clear. You've got poor eyesight or your glasses need a clean. The ball went in where MacDonald's head would have been if he hadn't inexplicably chosen to lie down. Nowhere near in the "postage stamp"' or "top bins". 

This was bugging me watching the highlights, I'd never noticed it before....he jumps off the ground like Nish did and Wilson does......jumps to half his height.

The ball that struck the crossbar should of been tipped over comfortably and not saying he is at direct fault but at both goals he kind of falls back as he jumps, meaning he doesn't actually gain any reach advantage at all. Glad others have spotted this.

1 hour ago, DuncanEwart said:

When St.Johnstone push, pull, grab, trip and foul they are called "streetwise" and are held up as something Killie should aspire to; when Hamilton do the exact same they are dirty, cheating neds who are the antithesis of us.

I don't think the two are comparable Saints play clever and Accies play dirty. St Johnstone use it when they have to. It's all Accies have in their locker. On Saturday Saints players took the booking when their lead was in danger or after we got level to stop any chance of falling behind. Accies come out every game and play dirty from the start hoping to gain an advantage. 

None of it's ok but it's part of football. What St Johnstone do is thought out. Individuals make a decision for the good of the team to take a player out at important points. There is no thought involved in what some of the Accies players get up to. Elbows in the back of the head, little nudges and leaving the foot in isn't the same as tripping or pulling an opponent back as he's getting away from you. They are at times treading a thin line of getting sent off themselves while trying to draw a reaction from an opponent to gain an advantage. I'd put the Hearts side of Neilson in the same boat last season. The CBs and midfield were too interested in getting involved or leaving one on an opponent. Butchers Motherwell and ICT sides were the same IMO.

Edited by piffer

Here's a scary thought. What if Saintees are actually one of this year's bottom six sides? They did get humped of Thistle and I just watched Thistle play Ceptic. They lost 1-0 but Ceptic escaped a penalty scare in injury time.

Partick have a team of mobile players who are not easily brushed off the ball. They gave possession away to easily at times and let Ceptic retain possession unchallenged IMO but they did win several corners.

Edited by gdevoy