St Johnstone (H) Match Fred

killiekosmos

12 hours ago, piffer said:

It didn't work vs Dumbarton and he changed it. It wasn't working today and he changed it. That's a step in the right direction from last season when he couldn't change it. It wasn't working first half but we never really looked like going further behind.

Just because something worked with half an hour to go doesn't mean it would've worked from the start. Likewise if it's working at the start there are no guarantees it will be successful for ninety minutes.

Yeah but why start with something that didn't work in the last match! Start with something that did work and if that doesn't then change it! Stupidity starting with the same tactics as the first half against Dumbarton 

22 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

I never meant you specifically, I'm saying in general anyone who has a problem should put their money where their mouth is and encourage the players instead of doing nothing and then getting on their high horse on the forum 

Aye fair play. Agreed. 

You pick the team for the opponent. Perhaps he felt there was too much risk of us getting overrun in the midfield with just two in there and felt it best to have three in there. As it was McKenzie and Burke didn't contribute enough and we were overrun.

Chasing a game with two upfront is completely different to starting a game with two up. 

7 minutes ago, posh79 said:

Yeah but why start with something that didn't work in the last match! Start with something that did work and if that doesn't then change it! Stupidity starting with the same tactics as the first half against Dumbarton 

Tend to agree here. There is no evidence to suggest we start the same formation next week. Celtic might be a different story but I say we go Boyd and Erwin and have a go. But for the next league game it has to change. This plus Dicker in the middle could really produce results. 

More evidence, if it was needed, that Boyd is not the right man to play the lone striker role. We only threatened when both him and Erwin were both on the park. The right strategy would probably be to play Erwin from the start and bring on Boyd if needed. I don't think we have the luxury of playing both of them and Jones and Thomas while sacrificing one in the middle of the park. Might be possible with Dicker but still unlikely. 

First half was dire - pedestrian with a total lack of creativity and penetration. Can't believe that McCulloch said he was happy with it. We only really had the upper hand for 20 -25 minutes over the whole match and that was initiated when Erwin came on.

Very disappointing not to hold on for a draw, last 10 mins we were getting deeper and deeper. Can't understand taking off Thomas, he was the best out ball we had all day. Also can't understand the comments that Power will be better when he is fit - there is no reason for him not to be fit and he is certainly not injured. I would imagine that he was brought on to protect the back four yet he made no contribution. Would like to see again where he was for their goal when O,Halloran ran across the width of the pitch. 

Main positives were Erwin, Thomas and most importantly Greer and Wilson at the back. Maybe those who like to criticise the young guy will now be able to see the potential he has. He was outstanding yesterday. And for those saying that the winning goal started on his side - he was the full back and the guy cut inside and ran right across the park. In no way was he responsible. He never put a foot wrong all game. 

One thing that struck me yesterday especially in the first half was the lack of movement. Comparing it to the motherwell game thats on  at the moment. When motherwell break everybody is sprinting forward so there are plenty of options. Our build up was so slow that it was easy for St Johnstone first half. As mentioned it got a lot better when we went 442.

It doesn't matter who plays the lone striker role .... Until we get runners through the middle then it will never work!

Couple that with a non tackling midfield then we are shagged going forward and defending.

Right now we could do with Wilson in the middle (with Dicker injured) but he has had to cover at RB cos O'Donnell has not been very good so far.

3 hours ago, historyman said:

More evidence, if it was needed, that Boyd is not the right man to play the lone striker role. We only threatened when both him and Erwin were both on the park. The right strategy would probably be to play Erwin from the start and bring on Boyd if needed. I don't think we have the luxury of playing both of them and Jones and Thomas while sacrificing one in the middle of the park. Might be possible with Dicker but still unlikely. 

First half was dire - pedestrian with a total lack of creativity and penetration. Can't believe that McCulloch said he was happy with it. We only really had the upper hand for 20 -25 minutes over the whole match and that was initiated when Erwin came on.

Very disappointing not to hold on for a draw, last 10 mins we were getting deeper and deeper. Can't understand taking off Thomas, he was the best out ball we had all day. Also can't understand the comments that Power will be better when he is fit - there is no reason for him not to be fit and he is certainly not injured. I would imagine that he was brought on to protect the back four yet he made no contribution. Would like to see again where he was for their goal when O,Halloran ran across the width of the pitch. 

Main positives were Erwin, Thomas and most importantly Greer and Wilson at the back. Maybe those who like to criticise the young guy will now be able to see the potential he has. He was outstanding yesterday. And for those saying that the winning goal started on his side - he was the full back and the guy cut inside and ran right across the park. In no way was he responsible. He never put a foot wrong all game. 

Agree with all this. If Power is not fit why bring him on? If a change was required why not bring O'Donnell on and move Iain W. to the middle.

5 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

I think Greer Jones Thomas Erwin Wilson & Frizz & Boydie will be the boys that will be the difference this season 

and lastly Boydie well done yesterday big man what a finish and looked with the partnership of him and Erwin plus the service of Thomas and Jones will score 10+ this season 

:hurrah:

You were slaughtering him 3 weeks ago xD

I think the reason we are persisting with this 4-5-1 is because between Frizzel, McKenzie and Burke there isn't a central midfielder amongst them. 

We have been painfully short in this area for a while. Dicker and Power I think are the only two central midfielders we have. One injured. One miles off the pace. 

Just now, Bullitt said:

I think the reason we are persisting with this 4-5-1 is because between Frizzel, McKenzie and Burke there isn't a central midfielder amongst them. 

We have been painfully short in this area for a while. Dicker and Power I think are the only two central midfielders we have. One injured. One miles off the pace. 

Should have clarified. The three is to hide our shortcomings in this area. Any central two from Frizzel, McKenzie or Burke is too lightweight and attacking. We'd be overrun 

16 hours ago, aumgn said:

Went to see Bohemians in Prague at the weekend play Sparta and it was as far removed from a Killie game as you can get in terms of supporter attitude. Songs ALL game. Went down 1-0 within ten minutes to a shocking challenge which led to a penalty.....fans sung louder. They equalised in the last minute and you'd have thought they'd won the cup. Team came out at the end and celebrated for half an hour. I had fun. Nobody moaned, nobody booed. There were 800 Bohemians fans there.

Are the team beyond criticism? Course not. This idea though that because you're "long suffering fans" and you pay a lot of money each week to see the team gives you carte blanche to funnel your crap life by way of unceasing negativity onto the rest of us every Saturday is the snidest patter there is. As long as the team are giving it their all on the pitch we should be supporting them 100%, whether they be pish or not. You might find that unrelenting support from the fans in the terraces actually translates to the team running through walls for us on the park.

Don't like that? Away and support Celtic, they win a lot.

Havent we been extremely lucky over the past five seasons to have been allowed to purchase our season tickets and be served up the product we have seen from our team on the park and we should all be feeling ashamed if at any time during all these games we have shown any level of criticism which can be deemed as negative to the poor souls who were performing on the park the various ones who had us skirting with relegation,play offs etc, as you have said we could have at any time during all this become one of the glory hunters who support ceptc____oh wait there is a flaw in your suggestion we at not f*****g brain dead to do that.At least this year there does look like it could be a bit different and maybe we will have something to cheer us up.KTID!

Watched the highlights and the defending is as horrific as we thought. 

For any goalkeepers. Was MacDonald too far over for the second goal. It's a great finish but to my uneducated eye it looked like the keeper was showing him where to put it with the space left. He's come from the opposite side of the goal has he stepped to far with the pace of the run

It was a difficult one for a keeper as he had to keep adjusting his position as O'Halloran moved from right to left at high speed.

The bottom line is that he has to protect his near post, which he did. If the player is good enough to find the far post, you have to hold your hands up. 

But he was entitled to expect a lot more protection from his defence. 

17 minutes ago, skygod said:

It was a difficult one for a keeper as he had to keep adjusting his position as O'Halloran moved from right to left at high speed.

The bottom line is that he has to protect his near post, which he did. If the player is good enough to find the far post, you have to hold your hands up. 

But he was entitled to expect a lot more protection from his defence. 

Yup. We had been warned already as O'H had already made at least two incisive runs that cut us open. 

Wasn't sure regarding MacDonalds position for the second that's why I asked. 

When you watch Broadfoot he charges out for the second as if he's going to take the man and the card. Then he does nothing. 

The first it's as if he's hoping Wotherspoon will go outside but he hasn't actually cut off the inside and makes the players mind up for him. It doesn't look the cleanest of strikes and probably deceived the keeper rather than had the quality to beat him. 

Broadfoot  at fault for the first goal ... Although I thought Frizzell was slow coming across to cover.

Frizzell was culpable at the second for not getting a challenge in. I also think Broadfoot was put off a tackle by Frizzell falling across him.  Damage was done by the time he reached Taylor as a tackle then was very likely to result in a penalty.

28 minutes ago, piffer said:

The first it's as if he's hoping Wotherspoon will go outside but he hasn't actually cut off the inside and makes the players mind up for him. 

It seems to me that he was rightly trying to show Wotherspoon on to his weaker right foot but he got much too side-on and much too upright, especially for a big man, which made it easy for Wotherspoon to go inside him.