A gardening question

gdevoy

I notice there seem to forums for nearly everything on here but nowhere to put my gardening queries. Oh well, in the hope that there is some budding Alan Titchmarsh out there.......... I have had a problem with my potatoes.

Potatoes are usually reasonable idiot proof, that's why I like growing them. You plant them, they grow in almost any soil, under almost any weather and sunlight conditions and you dig 'em up. Simples.

However this year I have been struck down by plants sprouting up then wilting back in mid June and basically just dying for no obvious reason.

I have scoured the interweb and the closest I can get to a photographic match between the condition and symptoms of my plants and the diseases suggested would be "bacterial wilt" which is aggravated by wet conditions and we have had wet conditions. The down side seems to be this is only found everywhere but the UK, Austrailia, Africa the US but no the UK.

The closest I can get to a UK type disease would be "late blight".

There doesn't seem to be any treatment for either condition apart from don't use any of the crop for seed and don't plant tatties there for about 4 years.

Where I need advise is

1) How do I identify the problem with more certainty.
2) Doers anybody have any more aggressive treatment suggestions?

Cheers.

I have