Hearts (h) Fred 12/08

CB

Just now, mitch14 said:

Just for context, McCulloch lost the last three league games, the Ayr game and the first two league games and the league cup game. Always try to be level headed but that is disastrous

The Ayr game fair enough. But look at who has beat us. Celtic, St Johnstone and Hearts are all top 6 teams. We're lucky to take points from them normally (Hearts to a lesser extent). Lets not get carried away. Another tough game next week then we have a wee run of game where we should be picking up points. Lets wait and see what the state of play is in a few games before calling for the managers head.

Too many passengers in that team. Time for there to be a complete cull of the starting line-up. McKenzie, Frizzel, Boyd, Broadfoot and Wilson can all go as they are not good enough. They either make mistakes or contribute nothing to the team. I said last year we were far to static and nothing has changed with the addition of Jigs 'experianced heads'. What we do in training is beyond me and how McKenzie manages to be an automatic starter I don't know. Time for Jig to get the finger out and get the team to perform. No wonder fans are angry 4 years of absolute trash home performances  and it's not going to change any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Secret Squirrel said:

Too many passengers in that team. Time for there to be a complete cull of the starting line-up. McKenzie, Frizzel, Boyd, Broadfoot and Wilson can all go as they are not good enough. They either make mistakes or contribute nothing to the team. I said last year we were far to static and nothing has changed with the addition of Jigs 'experianced heads'. What we do in training is beyond me and how McKenzie manages to be an automatic starter I don't know. Time for Jig to get the finger out and get the team to perform. No wonder fans are angry 4 years of absolute trash home performances  and it's not going to change any time soon.

Wilson has played well at RB. Outperformed Broadfoot easily. Doesn't lose the ball often. And thats him playing out of position. O'Donnell was poor when he came on, and he's a natural RB. 

Very disappointing.Yet again,started slowly,stood off and gave them a goal.However a draw would have been fair overall,they only created one or two other chances,whilst we should obviously have scored that double chance in the 2nd half.In saying that,can only remember their keeper having one save to make.

Midfield (which we tried to bypass 1st half) of Frizzell and McKenzie doesn't work.So badly miss Dicker,Kiltie and for me,Smith in there.Regarding the signings,cant understand why O'Donnell isn't starting at RB.LM cited him as a key signing yet continues to prefer Wilson there.Thomas was quieter today,Erwin had next to no service.Jones..great pace but still lacking that final ball,though he carried us further up the pitch 2nd half.

Undoubtedly under pressure to beat Hamilton in a fortnight..presuming nothing from next week.Would be looking to take something from Well after that especially with the next fixture being Pittodrie.Overall we should be sitting on 2 points tonight rather than 0.

Far too early to get rid of LM (he didn't lose the last 3 of last season-we beat ICT).However home form clearly needs to improve very soon.Lose to Accies at home and the knives will probably be out.Worryingly looking at that team today and thinking back to the start of last season the team that drew then with Rangers with Burn and Boyle CH,Hendrie RB and midfield of Dicker,Hawshaw,Kiltie,Frizzell and Taylor looked stronger than the team that started today imo.

Edited by Jedi2

That was a more dismal performance than last week v St j

Manager after a coule of games ditches his preferred formation ...plays two immobile strikers ......then doesn't even try to change it without a midfield there was so many aimless balls , no sign that work had been done during training to set any team pattern at all ......lack of direction at times , no one showing off the ball....

Bit like life under Locke as Manager 

That was poor. We lost to another crap team. Teams don't have to play well to beat us and that's scary. 

How can we be in game two of the league season and have a young midfielder at RB and be putting out a makeshift midfield. He's had all summer to identify and resolve our issues but we are getting more week on week.

No midfield pressure for the goal. Two CBs culpable IMO after the pass. 

In the last six or seven years we've lost Bryson, Kelly, Eremenko(twice), Slater, Pascali(yes he moved to defence), Fowler, Clingan and we have'nt addressed the issue. Our midfield is weak and lacks quality. It has done for ages. Get it addressed and a lot of our other problems would ease as well. It's not one player we need it's two plus Dicker and Kiltie finding fitness. 

Thought MacDonald bailed us out on a couple of occasions. Distribution at times let him down but two decent punches which I've criticised him for not doing previously plus a few good saves. Considering we've signed a new defence we actually look worse than last year. I have no clue what Broadfoot was doing today. In other games I thought it was lapses today he was wandered from the off.

We were too obvious. We have nothing other than hoof ball or let the wide players run at defenders. Hearts packed the central areas and it nullified our threat. 

How does McKenzie continue to get a game. It was 13minutes until he touched the ball deliberately. In the heart of a team that's not good. He should have buried that chance. For me that was always the bonus of his game he popped up with important goals today it deserted him. He looks last and scared to get involved. 

I thought Wilson did well out of position again. He doesn't look overly comfortable at RB but he was far from our worst player. Again Frizzell was trying to hold the middle of the park together. Be the attakingnand defensive mid. If that boy gives up as others appear to do we will get a doing worse than Tuesday. 

Burke is proving to be a waste of a wage at the moment. He's contributed very little and doesn't look fit. Is whatever illness or injury that dogged him last season cleared up. 

Scouser and piffer summing it up perfectly. I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't shake the feeling that there is something deeply wrong going on. Have a mate who supports Caley and he was telling me this week that they could tell really early that things were bad last year.  I'm getting that sense from the setup at the moment. 

Allot to be worried about after watching that today including news signings power broadfoot O'Donnell Burke not offering anything but my main concern today was why have we become a team that plays pub style football just play 2 big guys up front and hope the long ball tactic works!! want to hear from LM if that was his game plan. CM after watching the 2 of them last few weeks surely time to give hawkshaw anyone else a go. Very impressed with Greer just need to sort another CH to play with him with a bit of speed. Oh well someone has to beat Celtic!! 

9 minutes ago, Stokekillie said:

Allot to be worried about after watching that today including news signings power broadfoot O'Donnell Burke not offering anything but my main concern today was why have we become a team that plays pub style football just play 2 big guys up front and hope the long ball tactic works!! want to hear from LM if that was his game plan. CM after watching the 2 of them last few weeks surely time to give hawkshaw anyone else a go. Very impressed with Greer just need to sort another CH to play with him with a bit of speed. Oh well someone has to beat Celtic!! 

Dreadful, dreadful 'hoofball'. Lump the ball up to two immobile lumps. Plus the big lump at the back is a total liability. At least he's out for the Shellic game.

Edited by carpetfitter

The way Hearts set up they are ready to play the physical game. Despite recent poor for form it's been their main strength for a few years. You have to play football to beat them. We didn't do it. Even if we got crosses in they had bodies in there to win them. 

Last week and in the Dumbarton game when we went with two upfront one always dropped off. That didn't happen today they went man for man with their CBs and the Hearts midfield mopped up.

Their was acres of space in the middle third to orchestrate the game from but we didn't have the quality to use it. Instead we went wide or long. They picked the ball up and were driving forward into space and we were struggling to recover.

35 minutes ago, Secret Squirrel said:

Too many passengers in that team. Time for there to be a complete cull of the starting line-up. McKenzie, Frizzel, Boyd, Broadfoot and Wilson can all go as they are not good enough. They either make mistakes or contribute nothing to the team.

Agree that McKenzie, Boyd and Broadfoot need to wake up and start showing more desire to win the ball. Although, Boyd isn't getting any decent service.

Totally disagree with your comments about Wilson and Frizzell. A good midfielder would take the pressure off Frizzell. Wilson is doing well playing out of position. Or maybe McCulloch sees him as having the attributes to be a good RB.

Just now, Mogwai said:

Agree that McKenzie, Boyd and Broadfoot need to wake up and start showing more desire to win the ball. Although, Boyd isn't getting any decent service.

Totally disagree with your comments about Wilson and Frizzell. A good midfielder would take the pressure off Frizzell. Wilson is doing well playing out of position. Or maybe McCulloch sees him as having the attributes to be a good RB.

Frizzell' best performances have come when he's more advanced and allowed to press opponents. At the moment he's almost the defensive midfielder and having to get involved in battles he's not suited to as well as try and organise the team from there

Read this and all I could think of was Locke. That's the kind of drivel he spouted week in week out.

Kilmarnock boss Lee McCulloch: "I thought we were the better team. It was a sloppy goal to lose after five minutes but that was a bit of a wake-up call for us and after that I thought we were a lot better for the rest of the match.

"We were a little bit unlucky with Rory McKenzie's chance and another couple of half-chances to put crosses in, but I thought we sort of dominated and it is a little bit hard to take. But we need to dust ourselves down and go again.

"We spoke all week about starting the game well and then after five minutes it is backs to the wall. But Hearts are a definite top-four side in this league and to play the way we did for 85 minutes against them is where the positives come from, albeit we didn't get anything from the game.

"There might be a chance to get one more player in, maybe two, but we will wait and see."