Replica Shirts Issued

Jedi2

Am trying to track down when (and which) replica shirts we have had for sale. Obviously every one home and away from around 1990 onwards. From before that I am not so sure. Think the Mitchell and Struthers sponsored one was definitely sold as a home shirt, but am sure about the red away. Also Tourhill Joinery-Home?, but not away as well?

From further back in the 70s, was the old blue with 3 vertical stripes readily available, in home, again, but not away?

Appreciate any help with this, as am attempting to compile as definitive as possible a list of all shirts which have been available for sale.

Edited by Jedi2

32 minutes ago, Killie alan said:

Tourhill joinery was as well in red hoops. In 70s red one with 3 vertical stripes.

Don't think it was hoops. Red with a white band across the chest where the logo was and don't recall it being for sale. I could be wrong though. It wasn't yesterday 

Edited by Ycfc1922

That's one I don't remember seeing for sale, at the time (nearly 30 years years ago right enough). Another one was the all red strip which we had from around 82-87, don't think it was ever on general sale. Hard to imagine now in an era when 2 new strips come out every year, and have done for some time.

5 minutes ago, Dundonald_Killie said:

I definitely had a full kit when I was a kid of the hooped kit with the collar from before the days of sponsorship (1982-83).

I had that top. I don't think replica strips were (widely) available before then. Anyone that had one must have got it via the club or players.
I could be wrong of course?

Replica kits started to become popular and more available in the 60's. If you watch the famous football scene in the film Kes (1968) you will notice that some of the kids are wearing replica tops, the one that sticks out being the lad with the Sheff Wed or Huddersfield blue and white stripes.

As for Killie tops, I can remember my brother having the three blue stipes and an earlier one of blue with the white side panels. My first Killie top was the hoops but I also had for some reason the Wales top of red with the yellow and green stripes.

32 minutes ago, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

Replica kits started to become popular and more available in the 60's. If you watch the famous football scene in the film Kes (1968) you will notice that some of the kids are wearing replica tops, the one that sticks out being the lad with the Sheff Wed or Huddersfield blue and white stripes.

As for Killie tops, I can remember my brother having the three blue stipes and an earlier one of blue with the white side panels. My first Killie top was the hoops but I also had for some reason the Wales top of red with the yellow and green stripes.

Was the Wales top the admiral one? If it was I'm sure Dundee and Coventry had the same template. For some reason I had the Coventry one.

12 hours ago, Dundonald_Killie said:

I definitely had a full kit when I was a kid of the hooped kit with the collar from before the days of sponsorship (1982-83).

I think that was at the time other clubs were going with new 'shiny' look tops eg Aberdeen & Dundee Utd with Adidas while we were stuck with the old traditional material. I am convinced that contributed to our terrible form that season, everyone even looked much better than us!

I remember my older brother having the one with the three vertical stripes from the 70s but there was no club badge on it.

Edited by historyman

Before kits became emblazoned with badges and manufacturers' logos, there wasn't much marketing of replica kits. 

You could pick up a generic blue and white striped shirt which could be Killie, Huddersfield Town, Bristol Rovers and so on. 

Probably the first uniquely Killie strips were the Admiral "Ajax" style kit in the mid 70s but I don't think it was marketed. 

The first with a badge was the collared hooped shirt (Umbro) and this may have been the first which  was available to buy. 

The first which I can say with any certainty you could buy was the Tourhill Joinery hooped shirt which was made by a local company whose name escapes me. 

Edited by skygod

9 minutes ago, skygod said:

The first which I can say with any certainty you could buy was the Tourhill Joinery hooped shirt which was made by a local company whose name escapes me. 

Would that be the company that went on to become TFG?

Dug out my old Mitchell & Struthers top...definitely made by Matchwinner. Also liked the Matchwinner training top from the early 90s. So, it seems that we have pretty much every home shirt for sale since the 70s (apart from the AT Mays sponsored hoops in 83/4).

Aways more patchy....The classic red and white stripes late 70s/early 80s definitely sold as a replica, but no 'all red kit' from early-mid 80s, and also no Tourhill Joinery red with the large white horizontal band...then all aways from the A-Plant yellow number around 91?

Can also remember having an Umbro tracksuit with the diamonds down the sleeves early 80s. Have never seen one of those for sale since though.

Edited by Jedi2