Motherwell match thread

C4mmy31

3 hours ago, mitch14 said:

This argument is put about all the time, but Scottish Premiership clubs get decent calibre people interested all the time. I absolutely refuse to believe there aren't good managers out there. I'd agree that I'd rather not have Butcher and the like, but I have no doubt there would be candidates better than McCulloch out there. 

Do they .Hearts appointed someone who was already there,likewise so did Hamilton,St Johnstone and Partick .Dundee took on MaCann with no experence what'd so ever .Well have a guy who I had never heard off and was there previously also and we had Clarke an unsuccessful lower Englsh league manager .Thats the calibre that we attract .We will never build any sort of team unless we can keep the likes of Coulibaly, Maginnes and any one else who shows any ability who are sold off at the first opportunity 

19 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

Do they .Hearts appointed someone who was already there,likewise so did Hamilton,St Johnstone and Partick .Dundee took on MaCann with no experence what'd so ever .Well have a guy who I had never heard off and was there previously also and we had Clarke an unsuccessful lower Englsh league manager .Thats the calibre that we attract .We will never build any sort of team unless we can keep the likes of Coulibaly, Maginnes and any one else who shows any ability who are sold off at the first opportunity 

Think those need but into context a bit though... Hearts wanted Freedman who would have been interesting, but took another job. Hartley and Presley applied and would be better than McCulloch. Not saying they are my ideal candidates but theyve both got experience. Hamilton have no money to do anything, basically came out and said they were appointing the cheapest option. Dundee fans didn't want McCann by and large and that one seems to say more about the board. 

3 hours ago, skygod said:

For my sins, I spent the second half reading the Give It Jig thread.

A small number like BigBill and Malkmus were downright opposed, a few like myself were unconvinced but most were solidly behind appointing him because he had "made us hard to beat".

Which was true, so what went wrong? He had the chance to rebuild the squad and, while some signings seemed genuinely good - Greer, Erwin - others were unknown quantities or old pals (Broadfoot, Burke and, bizarrely, Bell).

If the players aren't performing or not showing passion, it's down to him. It all comes down to him because that's the nature of football management. 

Can he turn it around?  I haven't a clue. But everyone says how poor the standard is yet almost every other team seems to be better than us. To be a bad team in a poor league takes some level of incompetence.

But the board doesn't inspire confidence either. Real lack of expertise there, which comes down to MJ in a way. He ran it single-handed for so long then brought in people like Mann, Moran and Smith who quit in despair.

I was hoping things would look up on the pitch this season but that seems unlikely. To quote a Joni Mitchell song, "Again and again in the same situation, for so many years".

With each cycle, it's getting harder to retain optimism and enthusiasm.

Absolutely spot on. Had genuine confidence this season and yet two weeks into September we are an absolute mess. That second-half performance was up there with the worst of them.

Lee's had his transfer window, had his increased budget and signed centre-backs and full-backs a-plenty.

But no midfielder. No play-maker. Nobody that makes the opposition back-off and lets others play.

And don't tell me they're not there because they are.

54 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

We will never build any sort of team unless we can keep the likes of Coulibaly, Maginnes and any one else who shows any ability who are sold off at the first opportunity 

It's a fact of life - we are never going to be self-sufficient through gate receipts and other revenue so we need to sell players.

The harsh fact is that we haven't been selling enough.

If you expect otherwise, you're following the wrong club.

Edited by skygod

27 minutes ago, marie osmond said:

Absolutely spot on. Had genuine confidence this season and yet two weeks into September we are an absolute mess. That second-half performance was up there with the worst of them.

Lee's had his transfer window, had his increased budget and signed centre-backs and full-backs a-plenty.

But no midfielder. No play-maker. Nobody that makes the opposition back-off and lets others play.

And don't tell me they're not there because they are.

Second half today is the worst I've seen for a while. I think LM is a dead man walking if we don't get a convincing result next week. 

4 hours ago, Zorro said:

I knew we'd agree on something eventually.  Ah the good old days. A man with a plan to rejuvenate the support, bring back our pride and develop the club. Silverware in the trophy room, entertainment on and off the park and a pitch covered in grass. T'was really a golden age. 

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll be correct about something else.