Lee Mcculloch

killie1961

The gelling excuse is nonsense. Is there another manager who would play Burke on the right wing a) at all and b) when Jordan Jones is on the bench? We were sliced open down that side time and again because he could provide no cover there at all. Time and again its basic stuff that is wrong.

The signings were really shown into focus with Motherwell too. We get Broadfoot, they get Kipre. They get Bigirimana, we get one of their off-cuts... 

LM has been without probably our best, most influential player from last season, Gary Dicker.

And wee Kiltie is injured again.

Don't know when they will be available again, but both should make a difference when they return.

LM seems to be sorting out his best starting XI, and has realised that Broadfoot is not one of them (after his display on Saturday, I'd release him).

I think that Jones didn't start because he was woeful against Hamilton  ; I lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away.

Maybe also, the young lads who played u-21 football on Tuesday night might have been a bit fatigued ; not unknown in young players.

Often wondered why we never seem to find players like that animal McKinnon at Hamilton, or his mate Imrie, that horrible wee guy who gets up everybody's nose. Maybe we are too gentlemanly in our approach, too sportsmanlike, but it's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and we are looking like a bunch of poodles in a gang war. Maybe this time we won't get away with it.

Will our promising young players stick with us in the Championship, or will they want to get away to a higher, better level of football ?

This kind of thing must be keeping LM awake at night ;  how long before he decides enough is enough ?

On 10/09/2017 at 8:46 PM, Bbk said:

Heard Lee McCulloch saying that the penalty changed the game?whit the f*** it was in the 89th minute .....

Could he have been referring to the disallowed penalty claim for the tackle on Taylor? 

It looked on TV at least as much of a penalty as theirs. 

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Kilmarnock boss Lee McCulloch has had his players in for training at 6.30am in bid to end their early season slump and says they will continue to work hard to improve results. (Daily Record)

He must have taken this line straight out of the Gary Locke coaching manual ..... >:(

only selected players should be called in at 6:30 to put in some extra work before the others arrive.

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Kilmarnock boss Lee McCulloch has had his players in for training at 6.30am in bid to end their early season slump and says they will continue to work hard to improve results. (Daily Record)

He must have taken this line straight out of the Gary Locke coaching manual ..... >:(

If this is true then it is just plain daft and it looks like the beginning of the end for LM.

Have to admit that I was pro-McCulloch prior to his appointment but I've been bitterly disappointed by both his squad building and his tactical nous.  He needs to get his you know what into gear - I don't think the players need to be in at 6.30 to 'work' - I'd much prefer if a bit more time was spent on our shape and tactics so we didn't have to resort to lumping the ball forward at the earliest opportunity.  There's little guile or craft within our tactics which is really disappointing in this day and age.

As with Lee Clark, I'll give him a full round of fixtures before I really begin to judge McCulloch. It was a tough start and unfortunately a lot of games at home which probably impacted our problems. I'd be astounded if we pick up anything away from home at Aberdeen. After that we have Dundee, Ross County, Partick, Hibs, Rangers. 4 of those games are games where we absolutely must be picking up points, no excuses. If we go through that run without a few wins then serious questions must be asked at that stage. I'm not on his back at this point though.

27 minutes ago, Fletch said:

As with Lee Clark, I'll give him a full round of fixtures before I really begin to judge McCulloch. It was a tough start and unfortunately a lot of games at home which probably impacted our problems. I'd be astounded if we pick up anything away from home at Aberdeen. After that we have Dundee, Ross County, Partick, Hibs, Rangers. 4 of those games are games where we absolutely must be picking up points, no excuses. If we go through that run without a few wins then serious questions must be asked at that stage. I'm not on his back at this point though.

The worry I have though Fletch is not so much the defeats its the manner of the defeats. Motherwell away demonstrated to me we have not improved one jot from the Ayr fiasco. The same issues have not been addressed at all, a midfield you can drive a carthorse through, static and slow forwards with little service and isolated from the rest of the team (btw I thought Erwin just looked like an imitation of Boyd on Saturday) and a back line who are incapable of stopping anyone running at them. A whole preseason and we still look disjointed, apathetic and clueless with no evidence that LM can change a game. The football we play is tortuous to watch and the biggest worry of all LMs signings either are nowhere near the first team and those who are picked really don't look up to the standard required (even Thomas on Saturday) which is concerning should we bring in someone else, if our board are ever proactive.

With no sign of any improvement and no apparent recognition that he needs to address midfield (even a loanee whilst Dicker is out) means,  I feel he can go now. This is really unfortunate as we really need stability but I think the panic button needs pressed.

Perhaps one of the main worries is the squad he's built is actually halfway decent but the manner in which he's utilising it seems very poor.

Our centre backs are either too slow or too young to play in a centre back 2.  Our full backs are too attacking and poor defensively to play in a back 4.  It looks to be crying out for a back 3 system yet we see no attempt to find a solution to the problems we've had all season.  

Every time I try and write down a team in back 4 I look at it and it seems to have weaknesses all over, yet if I look at something like:

MacDonald

Higgins/Greer/Findlay

O'Donnell/Wilson/Frizell/Taylor

Thomas/Erwin/Jones

I think that looks pretty good on paper, covers our weaknesses and highlights our positives.

41 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

It may also explain why they looked so disinterested on Saturday against Motherwell, I'd assume most of them won't be too happy with LM having them in at that time.

Read the thread - the Record article does NOT say that the players were in at 06.30. 

It says that McCulloch and Leven were. 

The original quote probably comes from the BBC website's Gossip column rounding up stories in the papers. 

You can see how stories grow arms and legs...

Edited by skygod