Next Manager Thread

virtuocity

Kilmarnock director Billy Bowie says the club has already received more than 20 applications for the vacant manager's job and hopes to begin interviews by the end of this week.

Bowie has been pleasantly surprised by the level of interest, with some applications coming from outwith the UK. Bowie will keep an "open mind" but wants someone with "good experience".

Lee McCulloch left the position after a meeting with directors on Sunday. Kilmarnock, who lost 2-0 at home to Ross County on Saturday, sit bottom of the Premiership and face second-bottom Partick Thistle a week on Saturday.

Bowie, the club's major shareholder, intends to have McCulloch's successor in place at Rugby Park in time for the Partick Thistle game.

The new man, when appointed, will be Kilmarnock's eighth manager in as many years. Jim Jeffries left the club in January 2010, and was succeeded by Jimmy Calderwood, Mixu Paatelainen, Kenny Shiels, Allan Johnston, Gary Locke, Lee Clark and McCulloch respectively.

Just now, mitch14 said:

I know I should be concerned for the future of the club etc, but I genuinely love the mad period of daft suggestions. Wonder if we tried hard enough we could get one in the paper? I heard Billy Berntson is doing well as a manager and could be the man... 

Been done already, if you read the Daily Record, the list they printed of potential managers reads like a who's who of this Kickback thread lol xD

5 hours ago, skygod said:

It's ironic that you're happy the club is reportedly starting with "a clean state" then go on to disparage Dylan Kerr! 

It would be good if we could all keep an open mind and not discard people because they have previous associations with certain clubs, or describe fellow supporters as "morons" because they favour a particular candidate. 

I discard Kerr because he is grossly under-qualified and my personal experience of him is that he is lazy. He is only linked because he is an ex-player

25 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

I know I should be concerned for the future of the club etc, but I genuinely love the mad period of daft suggestions. Wonder if we tried hard enough we could get one in the paper? I heard Billy Berntson is doing well as a manager and could be the man... 

Billy Berntsson could be the man...

Billy Berntsson is the man and well you know it.

The number of managers we've had recently is very high. This points to the state we are in as not being down to any individual manager but much deeper problems (which I think we will all acknowledge).

Will the club and fans be willing to give the new man, whoever we appoint, a go in the Championship next year if that's where we end up?

Probably not an easy thing to do if we go down this year, given the amount of time left, but the high turnover of managers has to stop sometime.

1 hour ago, Scouser2 said:

Kilmarnock director Billy Bowie says the club has already received more than 20 applications for the vacant manager's job and hopes to begin interviews by the end of this week.

Bowie has been pleasantly surprised by the level of interest, with some applications coming from outwith the UK. Bowie will keep an "open mind" but wants someone with "good experience".

Lee McCulloch left the position after a meeting with directors on Sunday. Kilmarnock, who lost 2-0 at home to Ross County on Saturday, sit bottom of the Premiership and face second-bottom Partick Thistle a week on Saturday.

Bowie, the club's major shareholder, intends to have McCulloch's successor in place at Rugby Park in time for the Partick Thistle game.

The new man, when appointed, will be Kilmarnock's eighth manager in as many years. Jim Jeffries left the club in January 2010, and was succeeded by Jimmy Calderwood, Mixu Paatelainen, Kenny Shiels, Allan Johnston, Gary Locke, Lee Clark and McCulloch respectively.

Not surprised. Killie would be an attractive prospect for many coaches currently out of work. 

1 hour ago, Scouser2 said:

Six manager who could potentially replace McCulloch

Jim McIntyre

Jack Ross

Ally McCoist

Gary Holt

Paul Hartley

Clarence Seedorf

but 14 more applications for vacant manager's job and hope to begin interviews by the end of this week (unnamed who possible)

Edited by Craigieboy

From what's been touted so far, given Jack Ross and James Fowler did a great job saving St Mirren last season and currently have them sitting top of the championship I would be selling Bowie's monster truck collection to make St Mirren an offer.

However I doubt St Mirren would allow us to speak to them and if Ross would be interested in swapping a shot at a title and promotion over a relegation battle. 

Fowler could also be a shout on his own, was highly regarded as U20 coach before he left, was assistant manager at QOTS before taking over as manager and doing a decent job there. Was harshly sacked imo and as assistant manager helped saved St Mirren last season and now pushing for the title. I'm trying to avoid mentioning the fact he is a former player and look at coaching merits alone, however it is worth mentioning in Fow's case as the lure of being a former player may be enough for him to consider leaving a shot at promotion/league title for our relegation battle.  

Gary Holt should get an interview at least, ex premiership player and Scottish international. Had a good win ratio with Falkirk although only for 1 season, but has experience of being assistant manager in Premiership and youth coach at Norwich. It has been mentioned by people on here that seem to know him he would sort out fitness issues and get rid of some of the dross. 

I also notice Steve Clark has been out of work since leaving as assistant at Villa and always gets a mention. Maybe now after a few stints in England he would consider us? 

Paul Lambert is also currently out of work, realistically he's been a championship manager recently enough to probably want to hold out for another offer down south, but again is an opportunity to work at the top level (in Scotland) and even given our circumstances there is enough time for him to turn things around for us to be safe and have a successful season (in context considering how we have started the season) which could provide enough of a reputation bump to get another gig in England? (Clark after all got Bury job after playoffs and getting us just off 6th place by Christmas).

Outwith that aside from left field former English league manager that submit an application, I can't say I'm overly fussed about any other names mentioned.

2 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

Would be interesting to know who has applied. Does the forum have a good enough source to get this information ? At least the applications from those who are currently not employed - which I would imagine would be the majority of them. I would imagine McIntyre, Hughes & Hartley will be in there. Maybe also McCall and Mixu as well trying to revive his past success.

Eight managers in as many years says it all about the club. I just hope to God that the board take advice from people who have a clue about football when they make a decision as they clearly don't.

Kilmarnock FC would like to update all supporters with regards the managerial position at the club.

All players reported for training at Rugby Park this morning, with the session taken by Paul McDonald, Andy Millen and Kris Boyd.

The club has commenced the search for Lee McCulloch’s successor and a number of applications expressing interest in the role have already been received.

As the process continues, we will endeavour to update fans when possible.

2 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

I am just disappointed I missed our 1998 Cup win. Top of the article Jim McIntyre won the Cup with us in 1997, further down the story Gary Holt won it with us in 1998. The Daily Record, quality journalism for ten year-olds.

Don't worry 97 was better than 98 ha ha. 

7 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

Kilmarnock FC would like to update all supporters with regards the managerial position at the club.

All players reported for training at Rugby Park this morning, with the session taken by Paul McDonald, Andy Millen and Kris Boyd.

The club has commenced the search for Lee McCulloch’s successor and a number of applications expressing interest in the role have already been received.

As the process continues, we will endeavour to update fans when possible.

Hope Boyd was an active participant.

2 sitters in 2 games. 

The best appointment really depends on what has been wrong.

By which I mean to what extent is current situation down to the players and to what extent the management/coaching?

If both were seriously lacking (I think this was the case but can't know for sure) then we've got dire problems and need someone who is going to shake the whole club up!

Clark claimed he'd purged the losing mentality (at some cost to quality) but I think that was bulls**t and anyway it soon came back.

So we need someone tough/with experience and who could be here for at least two/three years as the two managers a season syndrome hasn't helped. If we have to go down (I think that would be a disaster) to give the right man time to sort the fabric of the club out then so be it!

That includes using the development team to give squad players some playing time and getting everyone playing the same two or three systems.

And then ......... GET A GRASS PITCH because first and foremost we're a footie club!

"right lads quick lap of the park a few jumping jacks and if we're quick about it we can get to McDonald's for the breakfast before it stops at10.30"