Next Manager Thread

virtuocity

Skybet still have Clarke as favourite. But Mixu's odds have dropped.

For me if Mixu gets the job it will be really underwhelming. The guy has my utmost respect for what he did last time but that was with a pre season a complete overhaul and arguably the best footballer we’ve had at the club. This is a completely different scenario not too different to his spell at United. He was backed financially there and didn’t see out the rest of the season. I don’t have the belief he could turn it around

43 minutes ago, CB said:

Wasn't it Clarke's job if he wanted it before,'til he was jerked around by the board & we went with Mixu? 

I believe there was a story on here that Clarke applied on one occasion and wasn't even interviewed by MJ. 

It might even have come from the afore-mentioned Dumpweed. 

I can't remember when this was though. 

Edited by skygod

16 minutes ago, Trumpetree said:

Article states that McIntyre has "slipped down the list", "sources played down talk of a move" for Clarke and MacPherson, and more candidates to be interviewed in coming days. 

Edited by skygod

8 minutes ago, skygod said:

Article states that McIntyre has "slipped down the list", "sources played down talk of a move" for Clarke and MacPherson, and more candidates to be interviewed in coming days. 

Mr McGowan usually has good sources

That doesn't sound too promising.

Think Holt and Mixu would be bad appointments. We are going to need someone not just to improve us but transform us and get us some wins against some big teams away in the next few games. Games we shouldn't expect to win.We could be quite far a drift by the time more winnable fixtures come around. Its a risk asking Gary Holt for all he did ok at Falkirk to do this. Had this been preseason when there was scope to build the squad then fair enough but not at the moment. Same applies to mixu. Had he not got Dundee Utd relegated from a very similar position then fair enough. He has shown that he doesn't sign very well apart from eremenko. Billy berntsson, rui miguel, benjamin lauruent, harry forester, for example

That said Dayton, david silva did ok and he did make a player out of connon sammon. But the more I see mixu without kenny wouldn't work.

Stephen McGowan usually a good source about what is going on at RP, so need take him seriously compared to some other journos.

I'm not a fan of managers coming back to a club where they have worked wonders before, and this is especially the case here, Mixu wouldn't be right fill for me.

Going by the bookies, their favourites have been up and down like a fiddlers elbows. It did seem that on Thursday night and yesterday that everyones mum's, sisters, aunties best pal's pal had been told by a very good source that the job was Steve Clarke's, and despite an earlier post of mine, i would have loved him to ghave got it. This obvioulsy got folk lumping money on Clarke at the bookies and made him favourite. As bookies odds move on the amount of money being placed on a person dictates who is favourite (If i went a stuck a million quid on Fergie being new manager he'd now be red hot favourite) , and with this being a realitvely small market on who will be next killie manager, it wouldn't take much money to sway who the latest favourite is.

Clarke for me, if a journo with close ties to Billy Bowie is saying no, then i reckon what he is saying must be from a good source, and mixu is looking like the most likely candidate. With Gary Holt as assistant? Not sure Holt would really be looking to play understudy here

An interesting angle in all this is how much, if anything, Scott McClymont is feeding to his mates in the media.

It would be quite easy for him to plant misinformation or to give exclusives to his favoured scribes, as it might suit the club's interests. 

13 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

harry forester, for example

Amazing how fans see things differently. Thought Forrester looked really good whenever he was on and it was testament to our side that year that he was kept on the bench quite often. Remember him giving Izaguirre - who went on to somehow pip Eremenko to POTY that season - a torrid time at Rugby Park fairly early in the season. Think we lost the game 2-1 but he was a standout.

44 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

If there are still people to be interviewed, then it would be bad form, and a bit stupid, for the club to start leaking that they already have a favoured candidate.

I'm not suggesting the club starts leaking who their favoured candidate is.

In a negotiating situation it might benefit the club if a source at the club were, for example,  to "play down" suggestions of someone being in the running.

Or to encourage further applications by saying that there are no favoured candidates.

Or to gauge fan reaction by leaking a certain name as being a candidate.

I'm not saying that the club has, is or will do this but this is the first time we have had someone media-savvy who will know how best to play the media.

Issue with Stevie Clark is that if he is successful he will be poached by an English club. Apart from St Mirren, he has spent his career down south. That’s where he lives. Is he going to uproot everything and move to Ayrshire? I doubt it. It’s another LC scenario. Take the Killie job, get yourself back in the market, do a good job and a half decent English team will come a calling. KFC are then back to square one within a short period of time. I’m not doubting his capabilities. He would be my preferred choice to bring experience and stability. However this is the risk we will take if appointed.

Some of our more well known fans are being surprisingly quiet about the whole thing and only Hippo has mentioned Clarke so my suspicious mind tells me there could be some truth in him being in the frame! I don't even want to consider that we could get someone of that quality and then lose out because we fail to sell him the potential of the club. Stephen Clarke at Rugby Park would give all the other clubs outside Celtic the fear. Talking about it and potentially jinxing it is giving me the fear!