Next Manager Thread

virtuocity

7 minutes ago, skygod said:

I'll be amazed if the new manager doesn't want his captain to be someone who plays every week. 

Looking at the squad for me it would have to be Greer or perhaps Dicker when fit. They are about the only two I can think of who will likely feature most weeks and have the leadership qualities.

10 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

What a fkn joker. By his own admission he chucked it during the Motherwell game. He also blew the Hamilton one for us whether he was giving his all that day or not. I don't believe the standards COULD slip much further. For a club captain to come out with wishy-washy pish like this is totally deplorable. It's almost like he is saying "we have to act like nothing has happened" - that will really fire the boys up for Saturday Stevie...

He's one of a few that I would just punt. How long has he left on contract as think it could be difficult to get rid of him, Broadfoot and other passengers without a big payoff. I would think that no matter who comes in we could see a different team (again) but without a massive clearout. 

We've got players in there that can play fitba, we just need to complement them with the correct players around them. 

The Herald has a piece about Petric today in which it says he has had a string of successes in saving sides from the drop on a limited budget, or words to that effect.

If he has, they must have a funny season schedule in Serbia because his last three appointments have been as follows:

FK Rad - 1 July 2017 to date (12 matches, 0.67 points per game)

FK Cukaricki - 22 September to 17 December 2016 (13 matches, 1.38 ppg)

FK Zemun - 1 July to 12 October 2015 (8 matches, 1.50 ppg)

His two previous appointments were from 1 January to 30 June 2015 and 1 January to 30 June 2013 so may have involved relegation escapes but they totalled just 32 matches between them. A total experience then of 65 matches over five clubs and five years. 

Quite apart from his being employed and maybe requiring a compensation payment, I don't think there is anything there to inspire confidence. 

I certainly don't see a "string of successes".

20 minutes ago, skygod said:

The Herald has a piece about Petric today in which it says he has had a string of successes in saving sides from the drop on a limited budget, or words to that effect.

If he has, they must have a funny season schedule in Serbia because his last three appointments have been as follows:

FK Rad - 1 July 2017 to date (12 matches, 0.67 points per game)

FK Cukaricki - 22 September to 17 December 2016 (13 matches, 1.38 ppg)

FK Zemun - 1 July to 12 October 2015 (8 matches, 1.50 ppg)

His two previous appointments were from 1 January to 30 June 2015 and 1 January to 30 June 2013 so may have involved relegation escapes but they totalled just 32 matches between them. A total experience then of 65 matches over five clubs and five years. 

Quite apart from his being employed and maybe requiring a compensation payment, I don't think there is anything there to inspire confidence. 

I certainly don't see a "string of successes".

Yes but he would have contacts at Hearts so we could continue our successful transfer policy.

Maybe he could get the boys to work that wee bit harder in training as well.

would go some way to explain the slightly protracted process. If we've made him an offer, he rejects, then counter offer, that would take this amount of time. 

Massively disappointing if true, but I never really believed we'd be able to get him in the first place. 

The real fun will begin when Mixu or Mac realise that they were not the favourite for the job, this might make them re-consider! It'll be one of those guys for sure

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Heard this morning that Clarke had knocked us back after meeting the board.

Hope that is wrong.

Disappointing news but wouldn't be a big surprise. There are many reasons why we are not the attractive proposition that we were when Totten, Williamson and Jeffries all took the job. It would be a gamble for someone like Clarke and probably one that he doesn't think he needs to make at this time. His reputation is probably still high enough that he feels he will get another manager or coach job in England.
It's a shame his family / local connections didn't influence his decision - clearly his head ruled his heart.

So, that, would appear to be that then. Jimmy Mac it (probably) is, and rather than an exciting, energizing appointment, more of the same, and just hope we manage to scrape 10th place. 

Now really hope it is Mixu, although that is also a 'meh' appointment compared to Clarke.

Edited by Jedi2

16 minutes ago, fmcc said:

The real fun will begin when Mixu or Mac realise that they were not the favourite for the job, this might make them re-consider! It'll be one of those guys for sure

I doubt out of work managers allow their pride to get in the way of accepting job offers!

With it being so difficult to get back into the game for a lot of these guys, I don't think anyone will be too precious about not being 1st choice. That's assuming we would be moving on to one of the names already mentioned. It may be more of a problem if we are still trying attract a "name." Hopefully the team can conjure up something against Thistle and at the very least avoid defeat. Whoever then comes in has virtually a "pre-season" with a few games where expectations are very low before we really need to get a team performing from December onwards.

Bittersweet about Clarke - would have loved to see him in charge, but despite his calibre would still have a large element of gamble about it. The lowest risk appointment would probably be McIntyre,  but really don't fancy us tying ourselves to him and BD for any extended period.