Training

MarkD1989KTID

4 hours ago, piffer said:

Similar to above. Players picking and choosing what they do. It’s a scattergun approach with very little focused training. Next to no fitness work. No working on shape or system.

Apart from that, ok though? :) By the way Piffer, one of your posts was in the fans section of the " I " newspaper yesterday.

If these stories about the training are true then good riddance to the pair of them. Youll never be successful in any sport if your not in peak condition. The fact players have asked for extra training to help with their fitness and been told to do it themselves just sums up really why we are where we are right now.

I was not a fan of Lee Clark but at least he had the players in top condition, which probably masked many of his failings by making us competitive at least, which can’t be said for us right now 

Interesting article about Sean Dyche 

Players say Sean Dyche is especially good in defeat. Strides into the dressing room. Bowed heads. “Nobody died,” he’ll rasp. “Get the tunes on.” He’s good with new recruits, who invariably take time to reach Burnley-level intensity. “I’ll say ‘F****** try harder’,” Dyche grins with his mix of menace and humour that is perfect for instructing men.

And is there any more to football management? Is it not like playing: about distilling your skills, vision and whatever else into what is effective and simple? Dyche has a Pro-Licence and Certificate of Applied Management; his father was a management consultant; he is liked by Arsène Wenger; and his schooling, at Nottingham Forest, was under Brian Clough. So there is an encyclopedia of leadership inside that shorn, ginger, centre-half’s head — but modern “overegging” of his profession irritates him.

This has been ramped up since Pep Guardiola and the foreign “super-coaches” hit the Premier League. It amuses Dyche that Guardiola is acclaimed for banning pizza at Manchester City, while Claudio Ranieri was lauded for giving players pizza at Leicester. Now there are wide-eyed articles about Guardiola blocking wi-fi at City’s training ground.

Dyche has long done similar things, but who reports that? “Most young people, including footballers, are stuck in their phones, so we allow them in the dressing room. But in the canteen and social areas, no phones — get players interacting.

“But,” says Dyche sarcastically, “it’s ‘a revolution’. In 1938 they played 4-3-3 in the World Cup final. But apparently 4-3-3 only came in in the last years.”

Before this weekend Burnley sat ninth — making Dyche the top-placed English manager in the Premier League. Like Eddie Howe, only with even less money (average pay at Burnley is £19,000 a week), and in a harder location to attract players, he is competing. But he is less vaunted than Howe.

“I’m banging it down the pitch, running them around like a dinosaur. And I’ve still got wi-fi! And we eat pizza!” Dyche snorts. The “dinosaur” comment refers to the 2014-15 season, when there was snootiness about Burnley’s humbly collective, ultra-effort style.

But is Dyche now on trend? Charismatic, simple messages: that’s also Mauricio Pochettino and Jurgen Klopp. And Pochettino, Klopp and Guardiola put running, intensity and the team at the heart of everything. Three years ago, Dyche said: “Pressing is the new passing.” Nobody listened, now it seems prophetic.

“The current top four are statistically the teams with the top high-speed runs, top mileage, top distances,” he says. “Talk about tactics all you want but what have [the super-coaches] really done? They’ve come in and said, ‘We’re going to run harder’. Klopp. Guardiola. Pochettino. Antonio Conte’s a mixed bag, sometimes absorbs, sometimes presses. You don’t have to be European to know a team’s got to work hard. English managers were talking about it years ago.”

He defines his principles. “Don’t say Burnley try and ‘outwork teams’. We’re trying to be us. The way I try to design a team, the ball’s in play in a Premier League game for 60 minutes. You [a player] will probably have it for one minute. So what are you doing for the other 59? You’re probably running around. And you’ve got to be able to deliver that run-around. Not just from a physical point of view, but with the right focus, in the right slots, at the right tempo.”

In football, physique held sway, then technical teams, and now “you’ve got to be all” says Dyche. “Fit enough to press, then have quality when you get the ball. The big breakthrough is getting the top players to work really hard. That’s what the ‘new managers’ have really done.”

How do you train intensity into a side? Work on core values, Dyche says: pride, respect, honesty. Make sessions intense. Show players technical and tactical evidence: run harder, and this happens. Burnley have become self-policing. Sometimes he does not have to tell a newcomer to “try harder” — the group are on them, from the warm-up.

It is striking how Dyche’s, Klopp’s, Pochettino’s players run until they drop but visibly enjoy themselves. “There’s a lovely feeling when you’ve played hard, played well and — in the old days you’d have a pint, now you’re having food — you get that inner calm, ‘I’ve delivered my responsibility — personally and for the team’. Fantastic feeling, that. It goes beyond winning. I tell the players: we’re searching for all hands on deck, all the time.”

Burnley beat Liverpool with 19% possession. What would have been the point in taking on Liverpool at passing? Refusal to indulge in modern coaching-speak about “brand of football”, “philosophy” and “playing the right way” is one reason Dyche has been underestimated.

“Young managers ask my advice and I say, ‘Be careful about this brand thing. Win first. Build a brand second.’ I’ve seen so many lose jobs. They go somewhere saying, ‘We’re going to play the right way’, and three months later it’s ‘Bye’.”

Burnley’s first Premier League promotion brought “this rolling wave of emotion. This time it felt like business.” Relegation in 2014-15 taught Dyche “you have to spend” and Burnley, with improved resources and a canny recruitment head in Martin Hodge, are now better placed to support that. The summer signings — he was obsessing over them by the swimming pool when he should have been playing with his kids, he grimaces — were clever. Take £8.5m Steven Defour.

An upgrade in Burnley’s midfield yet a “fit” in terms of work ethic. Dyche did his homework and discovered Defour’s close friend is Kevin De Bruyne, something with which to lure him to the northwest. A £10m upgrade of Burnley’s training ground is almost complete. Dyche has the club thinking long-term. Where is football going? Players will keep getting fitter, he says. “Pressing was the new passing but the future is transitions. Any moment of transition. How teams recognise it and react. And off the pitch, agent management. Players are governed by their agents now. When I communicate with a player I now also make sure his agent is aligned.”

If Howe is a potential England manager, surely Dyche is one too. Not yet, he says. “You’ve got to be ready for that. And you know what? This is not just about football. I’ve got two young kids. And a wife. And a life. I wouldn’t put that at risk at this stage. I don’t have every answer. We’re ninth in the Premier League and it’s a big story. In a few weeks we could be 15th and the story’s gone away.”

For now, he will stick to providing England with players. Tom Heaton is becoming established in the squad and it was surprising Michael Keane did not make his debut against Spain. Several clubs covet Keane but would have to bid above £20m and even then “there’s no need to sell. We’re in a good financial position.”

Dyche signed Keane for £3m. “There’s more to come from Michael. His defending principles have developed massively. That’s what I worked on, his ability to smell danger, the nuts and bolts stuff. And notice I’ve talked about defending. A lot of [modern defenders] defend second. I put into defenders, defend first, play second. But what do I know? I’m a dinosaur.”

Maybe it’s the age of the dinosaur. “Hey, I like that,” Dyche beams. “The Dinosaur Cometh.”

Noticed this on saturday. County had Greer and FIndlay under a tonne of pressure from first whistle, 3 players chasing down 2. We had to pass back to Macdonald to boot it up only for Davies to pick it out the air.

On the flip side, we sat back further and further letting their defenders ping it back and forth at their leisure.

I remember a game against Dundee Utd when Kenny was in charge where we pressed really high and constantly applied pressure. Mckenzie forced their defender into a mistake and he scored. Won 3-1, most comfortable win i'd seen for ages. It's no rocket science.  

13 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

Noticed this on saturday. County had Greer and FIndlay under a tonne of pressure from first whistle, 3 players chasing down 2. We had to pass back to Macdonald to boot it up only for Davies to pick it out the air.

On the flip side, we sat back further and further letting their defenders ping it back and forth at their leisure.

I remember a game against Dundee Utd when Kenny was in charge where we pressed really high and constantly applied pressure. Mckenzie forced their defender into a mistake and he scored. Won 3-1, most comfortable win i'd seen for ages. It's no rocket science.  

Mt mate picked up on that in the first  couple of minutes. Said they have been watching us and know how to go after us. County werent very good as individuals buy Coyle had in only a few days instilled a work ethic a game plan and the players knew what they were doing. 

We have had months to know how to set up and how to counter certain types of play from opponents. If County were pressing high up the field then everybody in our team has to be switched on where to be and off the ball movement is vital. We have on no way been doing any of that. Christ in the amatures we used to work on pressing (both doing it and having it applied) every week in 5 v 3 small area games before then lining up as an expected starting 11 and having the manager coach individuals where he wanted players to be in certain sotuations both in posetion as a team (with the ball and without) and without possetion. 

I see no evidence of that on the park. And thats proper basic stuff. Again I genuinly thought the McCulloch could make a good manager but hes failed hugely despite being given more backing than anyone in making signings for years. Like others have said good luck to the guy he seems genuine but he needs to learn in the right environment. Lower league with an experianced assisstant and nae old team mates around him making it difficult.

57 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

This!!!

I also noticed we totally failed to press the ball for the whole 1st half. Even halfway inside our half guys were getting acres of space and time.

Also, any time Jones got the ball they had 2 men on him right away.

As said elsewhere it's not rocket science but it is hard work requiring a level of fitness that cant be achieved with 2 hours of training a day. 

21 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

Totally agree about County's harrying of our CBs. Their CBs had a static lump standing "near" them, ours had three guys giving them not a second's peace.

I still think as a short term ploy we could consider putting Rory up-front, either on his own or with one of the other more attacking but mobile players (Jones or Thomas or Brophy) and just tell him to annoy the s**t out of the opposition CBs. We will automatically get more possession and more chances IMO even if we still lose it would be a better way to lose.

A lone striker sets the tone for the team. Of our 3 strikers, Erwin Boyd Brophy, neither of them are fit. I get where you are coming from with the McKenzie shout. Though I think McKenzie is a championship player he has the energy. I am actually surprised Jones hasn't been tried as a striker with the pace he has. He bloody thinks he's a striker with the amount of times he shoots when not always the best option. I think Erwin might be better as a winger as opposed to a striker. I recall him playing well on a few occasions against us cutting in from the left wing. I think Samizadeh could make a decent winger. Then you have the likes of Thomas & Frizzell as wide options too. Centre forward is an issue as well as centre midfield. Signing Bell looks bad use of our budget.  

6 hours ago, jamieboy said:

A lone striker sets the tone for the team. Of our 3 strikers, Erwin Boyd Brophy, neither of them are fit. I get where you are coming from with the McKenzie shout. Though I think McKenzie is a championship player he has the energy. I am actually surprised Jones hasn't been tried as a striker with the pace he has. He bloody thinks he's a striker with the amount of times he shoots when not always the best option. I think Erwin might be better as a winger as opposed to a striker. I recall him playing well on a few occasions against us cutting in from the left wing. I think Samizadeh could make a decent winger. Then you have the likes of Thomas & Frizzell as wide options too. Centre forward is an issue as well as centre midfield. Signing Bell looks bad use of our budget.  

Can't see Erwin as a winger at all. Just can't believe how unfit and uninterested he looks. At least boyd has the excuse of age. Remember watching on you tube Erwins goals for Leeds and was genuinely excited at the signing. Seems a long time ago.

7 hours ago, cammy_boy said:

Mt mate picked up on that in the first  couple of minutes. Said they have been watching us and know how to go after us. County werent very good as individuals buy Coyle had in only a few days instilled a work ethic a game plan and the players knew what they were doing. 

We have had months to know how to set up and how to counter certain types of play from opponents. If County were pressing high up the field then everybody in our team has to be switched on where to be and off the ball movement is vital. We have on no way been doing any of that. Christ in the amatures we used to work on pressing (both doing it and having it applied) every week in 5 v 3 small area games before then lining up as an expected starting 11 and having the manager coach individuals where he wanted players to be in certain sotuations both in posetion as a team (with the ball and without) and without possetion. 

I see no evidence of that on the park. And thats proper basic stuff. Again I genuinly thought the McCulloch could make a good manager but hes failed hugely despite being given more backing than anyone in making signings for years. Like others have said good luck to the guy he seems genuine but he needs to learn in the right environment. Lower league with an experianced assisstant and nae old team mates around him making it difficult.

And yet we did the pressing thing really well against Celtic (in the end 2 goals down to individual mistakes) and Aberdeen. Why don't we do it against lower ranked teams?

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Controversial!

You make that quote look as if I said I would play Jones as a striker. That's not the case. I was also surprised that David Silva was never tried as a striker when we had him. Silva could ping a ball though. Jones is a winger with great pace and a questionable final ball so a manager trying him as a striker would not be a massive surprise to me. 

13 hours ago, Richaway said:

Surely a new manager will see the obvious and play jones on the other wing. Final ball should be a lot better then.

Yeah it's one of my pet peeves that. Nowadays the norm is a right footer playing on the left and a left footer playing on the right.  I prefer wingers playing on their natural side. A wingers job is to provide, not think they are a better finisher than a striker. Beat your man on the outside (providing a better angle for the strikers to attack) and get the ball in the box. Blackburn won the league with Ripley on the right and Wilcox on the left loading the bullets for SAS. Man Utd imo were at their best with Beckham and Giggs as their wingers. A good winger would be comfortable using both feet though.

2 hours ago, jamieboy said:

Yeah it's one of my pet peeves that. Nowadays the norm is a right footer playing on the left and a left footer playing on the right.  I prefer wingers playing on their natural side. A wingers job is to provide, not think they are a better finisher than a striker. Beat your man on the outside (providing a better angle for the strikers to attack) and get the ball in the box. Blackburn won the league with Ripley on the right and Wilcox on the left loading the bullets for SAS. Man Utd imo were at their best with Beckham and Giggs as their wingers. A good winger would be comfortable using both feet though.

Was it Kenny Shiels who had the completely opposite point of view, with the statistics to back it up?

2 hours ago, jamieboy said:

Didn’t seem to harm Messi’s career.