Killie V Hibs

C4mmy31

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2017 at 11:16 PM, historyman said:

Also in Greenock too I think. Quite bizarre. They also have an incredibly strange name for it which I can't remember. 

They call it Galloshans (spelling unsure), apparently it’s the origins of guising and was the traditional thing years ago involving several days and dramatic productions. Greenock and the port are one of a handful of places in Great Britain that still hold on to the tradition,

3 hours ago, Ayrshire_greasemonkey said:

They call it Galloshans (spelling unsure), apparently it’s the origins of guising and was the traditional thing years ago involving several days and dramatic productions. Greenock and the port are one of a handful of places in Great Britain that still hold on to the tradition,

Guising. That’s what we do in this country regardless of date. Trick or treat can get to feck along with all the other Americanisms that are creeping in. 

I Know two lapsed fans that are going to this game, the club has put its money in, so now we as Killie fans should do the same. Get yourselves and anyone you know along to this, if we cannot add an extra 500 to 1000 to the gate for Steve Clarke first home game then we deserve what we get.

So Killie fans get off your arse and BACK THE CLUB !!

3 hours ago, theauldyin said:

I Know two lapsed fans that are going to this game, the club has put its money in, so now we as Killie fans should do the same. Get yourselves and anyone you know along to this, if we cannot add an extra 500 to 1000 to the gate for Steve Clarke first home game then we deserve what we get.

So Killie fans get off your arse and BACK THE CLUB !!

New manager or not. . . they'll be no uptake in fans until MJ leaves. . .

oh wait. . . 

Living in Kilmarnock and observing how the people of the town watch and follow football I have concluded that there are 6 types of people. 

1.) Those who have no interest in the sport and don't follow any team. 

2.) Those who live and were raised in the town but support the Old Firm (either Rangers or Celtic). 

3.) Those who live and were raised in the town but have chosen a random English premier league team to support (a team they latched onto when they were a young boy because they liked a player or a strip) and now they follow their games religiously on Sky.

4.) Those who support killie passionately and will go to watch killie regardless of the league they are in or the manager they have (3000 diehard souls). 

5.) Those who used to support killie but have now joined their fellow supporters in category 3 (MJ or not they won't be returning).

6.) Those who support killie passively turning up on occasion for Big games like the play offs or a cup final. they like to see killie do well but it's doesn't bother them that much. These people enjoy telling those in category 4 that it's "only a game" (MJ or not it's just not an appeal to these people to buy a season ticket). 

N.B it's very common to meet people in the 18-30 age bracket who overlap between category 3 and category 6. 

now a new manager may see some from category 4 managing to entice some from category 6. maybe boosting the crowd by a few hundred. but unfortunately. . . it won't see a lasting increase in crowds. 

that will involve changing a generation's culture. That takes . . . well a generation 

12 minutes ago, MarkD1989KTID said:

Living in Kilmarnock and observing how the people of the town watch and follow football I have concluded that there are 6 types of people. 

1.) Those who have no interest in the sport and don't follow any team. 

2.) Those who live and were raised in the town but support the Old Firm (either Rangers or Celtic). 

3.) Those who live and were raised in the town but have chosen a random English premier league team to support (a team they latched onto when they were a young boy because they liked a player or a strip) and now they follow their games religiously on Sky.

4.) Those who support killie passionately and will go to watch killie regardless of the league they are in or the manager they have (3000 diehard souls). 

5.) Those who used to support killie but have now joined their fellow supporters in category 3 (MJ or not they won't be returning).

6.) Those who support killie passively turning up on occasion for Big games like the play offs or a cup final. they like to see killie do well but it's doesn't bother them that much. These people enjoy telling those in category 4 that it's "only a game" (MJ or not it's just not an appeal to these people to buy a season ticket). 

N.B it's very common to meet people in the 18-30 age bracket who overlap between category 3 and category 6. 

now a new manager may see some from category 4 managing to entice some from category 6. maybe boosting the crowd by a few hundred. but unfortunately. . . it won't see a lasting increase in crowds. 

that will involve changing a generation's culture. That takes . . . well a generation 

7. Those who play their own football on a Saturday so are unable to make games - unless it’s a midweek game like this one

1 minute ago, MC15 said:

7. Those who play their own football on a Saturday so are unable to make games - unless it’s a midweek game like this one

I remember Kenny Shiels commenting on the number of junior and amateur games that take place at same time as SPL matches. it's a good point. perhaps the SFA could look into passing something such as no football to be played at 3pm on a Saturday. could improve crowds

1 hour ago, MarkD1989KTID said:

. . . they'll be no uptake in fans until MJ leaves. . .

How does this fit into your categories 1 to 6?

It doesn't seem to.

48 minutes ago, MarkD1989KTID said:

it's a good point. perhaps the SFA could look into passing something such as no football to be played at 3pm on a Saturday. could improve crowds

Why should the juniors and amateurs bow to the needs of the SPFL? They are as entitled as other forms of football to schedule their matches at the most convenient time.

If enough players, officials and supporters of junior and amateur football wanted to attend SPFL matches as well I expect they would lobby their leagues to move KO times.

I think KS was exaggerating the impact on professional attendances. Maybe at one time decades ago, but I can't see it now.

1 hour ago, MarkD1989KTID said:

You might think that would be the case but attendances in the ten years from 1983-84 to 1993-94 rose from an average of about 1,200 to 8,000.

If you accept that nothing can be done to change matters, nothing will ever change.

Edited by skygod

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

How does this fit into your categories 1 to 6?

It doesn't seem to.

Why should the juniors and amateurs bow to the needs of the SPFL? They are as entitled as other forms of football to schedule their matches at the most convenient time.

If enough players, officials and supporters of junior and amateur football wanted to attend SPFL matches as well, I expect they would lobby their leagues to move KO times.

I think KS was exaggerating the impact on professional, attendances. Maybe at one time, but I can't see it now.

You might think that would be the case but attendances in the ten years from 1983-84 to 1993-94 rose from an average of about 1,200 to 8,000.

If you accept that nothing can be done to change matters, nothing will ever change.

I've accepted I can't affect anyone's free will. All I can do is attend games and hope others do the same. 

it's great that with a new manager and a new wave of optimism at the club fans are encouraging others to attend. I have visions however of the same average attendance turning up for Hibs and fans coming on here afterwards to vent their disappointment. I hope I'm wrong

5 minutes ago, MarkD1989KTID said:

I have visions however of the same average attendance turning up for Hibs and fans coming on here afterwards to vent their disappointment. I hope I'm wrong

Sadly, you may be right but we can't just accept that things can't and won't change.

It will take more than one match but the aim must be to make the attraction of attending matches at RP irresistible to more people.