BT Sport

Having worked down south some time ago and now still travelling there for work on a regular basis I would say that their interest in Scottish football has reduced dramatically in those 20 years - even though there is obviously much more exposure to it via satellite TV. I would be interested to know the viewing figures for Scottish games vs for example the Championsip or League One and games from Spain, Italy, Germany and France.  

The fact that Hibs couldn't even sell 10,000 tickets to their own fans for the semi final of a national cup competition shows that sometimes the level of interest up here isn't that great either. I think that will only get worse as Celtic continue to win just about every game never mind every trophy. 

On 20/10/2017 at 1:17 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

That is complete and utter nonsense.

For starters, I could name fans of several clubs down south who come and watch us.

For starters there were 12 West Ham fans with us on Saturday for Thistle!

Why do BT need to slag Scottish football when there's folk like you that are happy enough to do it?

Guys in our Manchester office will watch Killie when they are on TV as they know I'm an avid fan, I don't think that's uncommon.

To say no English folk watch football up here that doesn't involve the old filth is nonsense.

You know I'm down south loads of times at mufc games and the bottom line is the English do not give a s**t about our game -- its never even on in the boozers not even old filth matches ----- the most watched football game per year on television around the world is Liverpool v man united ......... Celtic v rangers is not in the top 100 

On 20/10/2017 at 7:16 PM, RAG said:

BT do make loads out of Scottish Football!  They've a TV schedule, on what is it 3 channels to fill.  The SPFL is cheaper to buy in than the English games to fill that schedule, that in turn sells the packaged sports subscriptions.  Most people are into it for the  English football or UFC, but as the TV rights cost almost nothing ,Scottish football more than holds its own and makes BT money, cos BT have a Sport Schedule to fill.

Yeah, see my first comment.

No one can deny with any real credibility that Scottish football is sold on the back of the twisted two... nearly every televised game involves one or the other and the diddy teams' only proper coverage is because they're playing them.

Even out national free-to-air broadcaster is at it. Think back to when Sevco were trailing round the lower leagues. Highlights of their games were shown every week. What do we get now from our Championship? It might be a competitive wee league but hee-haw on the telly.

Perhaps instead of the anecdotal "my pals watch it so you're talking rubbish" to-ing and fro-ing, if someone could dig out some actual viewing figures, that would be helpful.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, DrewWylie said:

You know I'm down south loads of times at mufc games and the bottom line is the English do not give a s**t about our game -- its never even on in the boozers not even old filth matches ----- the most watched football game per year on television around the world is Liverpool v man united ......... Celtic v rangers is not in the top 100 

This is a hard pill to swallow for many but IMO represents a fair reflection of where Scotland sit in the world football rankings.

I have gone into pubs in Edinburgh to watch Kille vs Murderwell for example. The bar staff have very kindly changed the channel when I asked but for the duration of the game none of the customers apart from myself even looked up in the direction of the TV. 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, azertyuiop said:

There is absolutely no interested (minimal) in Scottish football down south. Throughout varies companies I've worked for in the past 10 years, I am genuinely asked by "proper" football fans what division Kilmarnock are in.

Guys I work with are fairly knowledgeable about SPL football at least (not just old firm).

You must work with the Sky TV generation.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, DrewWylie said:

You know I'm down south loads of times at mufc games and the bottom line is the English do not give a s**t about our game --

Many up here couldn't care less about their games either. Works both ways I suppose.

I'd rather watch Hearts vs Hibs or Aberdeen vs Celtic than any English game that happens to be on TV this week. I've an interest in those games, English games usually just background noise in the pub.

Same goes for Saturday, I'd rather watch Hearts-Rangers before going to Parkhead than whatever EPL game is on. Unless I've money on them I've next to no interest.

Watching Man Utd park the bus at Anfield against a sh1te Liverpool side would be enough to get football stopped!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd rather watch Hearts vs Hibs or Aberdeen vs Celtic than any English game that happens to be on TV this week. I've an interest in those games, English games usually just background noise in the pub.

Same goes for Saturday, I'd rather watch Hearts-Rangers before going to Parkhead than whatever EPL game is on. Unless I've money on them I've next to no interest.

Watching Man Utd park the bus at Anfield against a sh1te Liverpool side would be enough to get football stopped!

Like you I'd rather watch Scottish Football if there was a choice. I have worked down south when you could just walk up at Highbury and seen some mind numbingly boring displays. Little has changed in the EPL on TV today.

The thing is I am aware of many wee boys (and probably wee girls too) running around our estate wearing EPL shirts due to marketing. They have no investment in it as they have never been to an actual game in their lives. The SFA / SPFL need to get off there complacent fat arses and take a more aggressive stance on marketing the game on TV. And just selling the Infirm is not the way forward.

And they could jack up the standard of their match officials as a first step.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Many up here couldn't care less about their games either. Works both ways I suppose.

Burns inn mobbed every Man Utd game ----- last old filth game around 20 in