Hibs Vs Killie Match Day Thread

Allan

That was like every defeat I suffer at FIFA... when you pummel a team and hit the post three or four times without scoring, while they score with every chance they have. 

First goal was poor, a ball in the channel we should cut out and a free header. Second one rubbish too, a ball to Gray at the back post unmarked, a soft ball played across goal that Macdonald should deal with , and an easy tap in. 

Disappointed, as I thought Clarke had sorted out some defensive solidity, but it was very weak last night. 

Third goal I have no issues with, these things happen when pressing on for a goal. 

We will play far worse and win games. 

6 hours ago, Morph said:

Was a weird game, the defence looked shaky when hubs broke at them but this didn’t happen often as our passing was accurate enough that we didn’t lose the ball needlessly. Going forward we looked excellent at times.

The big thing for me was that all players were happy to take the ball in and recycle passes when they had to, the howf and run thankfully seemed to be missing.

i would start Jones on the bench on Sunday or at least have Clarke having a wee arm round chat and tell him to get his head up more and not try to do so much on his own. A wee chat about his decision making would help him, although this is a small point I think he has the potential to be a cracking player!

Start Jones on the bench? Are you on drugs son?

5 hours ago, RayD said:

Not too worried by our league position just yet as everyone else will now have Rangers and Celtic to face. 

As the first round of fixtures has only just been completed everyone has to play everyone else twice more, pretty well. 

The one slight positive is that the only side we have played twice is Celtic. 

Edited by skygod

38 minutes ago, seedsy said:

Start Jones on the bench? Are you on drugs son?

Ok maybe in not articulating this well, Jones is a great player for killies standard. Maybe benching him for a game is a bit much but he needs this head down and running nowhere sorted, when driving into the box he looks great and defences are terrified but his return in terms of assists and goals is low, with a tweak to his decision making he could be even better.

im very positive about Clarke and if anyone’s gonna help player development it’s him.

A sore one last night. Having seen the goals again they were poor to lose. Certainly the best I have seen us play in the flesh in years. Power, mckenzie, jones, taylor all fantastic. One big push at the weekend and hopefully get a result. Been quite a hectic period of games. Then two weeks for the manager to put more of his stamp on the way we play. 

What last night told us is that we are not a bad team, but that we are still some way off being a good team. 

Hibs defended better than us and were far more clinical than us in the final third. However, for now anyway, our battles aren’t really with the likes of Hibs. If we play like that against Partick, Accies, Dundee, Saints and County our league position should improve. 

It was refreshing to hear the encouragement the team got last night, even after individual errors. If we can harness that positive atmosphere, even if results aren’t going our way, I genuinely feel the malaise over the last few seasons can be reversed. 

Excellent effort last night, and really enjoyed some of our football.

1 hour ago, Dillinger said:

That was like every defeat I suffer at FIFA... when you pummel a team and hit the post three or four times without scoring, while they score with every chance they have. 

First goal was poor, a ball in the channel we should cut out and a free header. Second one rubbish too, a ball to Gray at the back post unmarked, a soft ball played across goal that Macdonald should deal with , and an easy tap in. 

Disappointed, as I thought Clarke had sorted out some defensive solidity, but it was very weak last night. 

Third goal I have no issues with, these things happen when pressing on for a goal. 

We will play far worse and win games. 

Have you considered investing in a better keeper for FIFA? My son tells me a lot of N00bs go all out for pacey outfield players (pace abusers) and neglect their goalkeeper. He thinks the keeper is the most important position and you can win the majority of games with a weaker outfield team than your opponent, if your keeper is “beast”. Ball retention and frustrating your opponent is key. 

On the game last night, I’m pretty happy with most things except the result. We actually look like we have a strategy and the players look like they’re buying into what Clarke is trying to accomplish. I think we’re still a bit off where we’d like to be in terms of fitness, but miles ahead of where we were a month ago. MacDonald didn’t do anything terrible to provoke my ire. His footwork could have been better at the second but whether that would have made a difference is debatable. The pitch still looks and plays s**t. However, it’s the most positive I’ve come away from Rugby Park in years. 

26 minutes ago, red_dug said:

Apologies if this has been covered already but if the guy behind me in the front centre section of the east stand (i believe he had a wooly man utd hat on) who was personally abusing Broadfoot last night is on this forum........

YOU SIR, ARE A DICK!!!!

Agreed. Right at the half time whistle too. Kirk turned and looked in his direction just before he walked off the other side of the pitch.

What does personal abuse actually accomplish? There has been plenty this season to criticise Kirk about purely on his footballing attributes (not so much in the last month or so) without getting personal about it.

4 hours ago, Morph said:

Ok maybe in not articulating this well, Jones is a great player for killies standard. Maybe benching him for a game is a bit much but he needs this head down and running nowhere sorted, when driving into the box he looks great and defences are terrified but his return in terms of assists and goals is low, with a tweak to his decision making he could be even better.

im very positive about Clarke and if anyone’s gonna help player development it’s him.

He put one on a plate for Boyd but he missed it. He was outstanding in the second half last night. By far our most potent attacking threat, I didn't see any 'running nowhere', I saw a guy being direct, running at defenders and causing them no end of problems. Even in the first half he took the ball from well inside his own half and only a last ditch tackle stopped him getting a shot away.

Edited by historyman

59 minutes ago, McDeeBop said:

Agreed. Right at the half time whistle too. Kirk turned and looked in his direction just before he walked off the other side of the pitch.

What does personal abuse actually accomplish? There has been plenty this season to criticise Kirk about purely on his footballing attributes (not so much in the last month or so) without getting personal about it.

I wonder what these folk think it will achieve. As if it's going to give Broadfoot some sort of lift?

1 hour ago, Killieboykfc said:

Thought Broadfoot had a good game. There were a few around me who moaned when he went forward with the ball but I thought he was actually pretty decent.

He did have a good game. It's easy to give all the praise to the attacking players as listed in the majority of posts in this thread, despite there being no end product.

Each time a defender makes a poor decision or is ungamely on the eye he is crucified. Thought Stephen O'Donnell also had a very good game, plenty of decent deliveries into the penalty box and he had Barker in his back pocket. Barker has explosive speed and was great in recent games against Celtic and Hearts, however O'Donnell nullified his threat on the left wing.

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

500 yer arse

IMG-1c3f7d9473eb26e1adb971e9af75932a-V.jpg

I'm not one to go with conspiracy theories, so I'll assume the crowd figures were not fiddled. Our core attendance had gone down to just over 3000 for most of last season, but towards the end it had crept up to 3500 ( I remember you saying it was busier ). We had around 4100 home fans, so maybe 600 up last night from the end of last season. It was a reasonable start, but given the novelty factor, and the fact we once attracted 6000 Killie fans to a reserve match in the 90s to see two trial use, still a major job to be done.

11 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Wouldn't say a great performance. It was decent, with Jones and Taylor the standouts. We need a big strong midfield leader and two mobile front men. This season I'm happy to avoid relegation. The home crowd was ok, but only 500 up on the core support we were getting at the end of last season. It's a start, but given how major the Stevie Clarke move was, maybe a little disappointing. We need to get back to 5000 home fans asap. 

Crowd of 5,005 last night you must have ran out of fingers and toes doing your sums last night