Derek McInnes

Bobby14

Aberdeen have become the second force in Scottish football in the last few years. After the circus that has become of Rangers, the old firm centric media are pretty much demanding McInnes gets the gig. 

They can’t wait to see the status quo restored in Scottish football. They’d rather have the old firm fighting it out year after year in a closed contest than have any of Scotland’s other clubs making a challenge to the ugly sisters. 

Surely they could use this to support and promote the Scottish game! 

They're not there to support and promote the Scottish game their job is to sell newspapers and attract viewers. Television companies covering Scottish football are dominated by ex Old Filth players so they are bound to favour them over Aberdeen. Celtic and Sevco probably account for the vast majority of supporters who still buy newspapers so Aberdeen replacing Sevco as the second force in Scotland would do nothing for their readership.

I'm not convinced that McInnes would be that big a coup for Sevco. When they were in the lower divisions Aberdeen had a free run at second place and won one trophy, on penalties, when 80% of the crowd were supporting them. McInnes has managed to get consistency with Aberdeen but their revival has coincided with a downturn in fortunes for four of their previous biggest rivals, Sevco, Hearts, Hibs, and Dundee United.

51 minutes ago, Nigel4 said:

I think if McInnes was going to be the next Rangers manager he would have been appointed last week. If both parties were interested and they could afford him then why not do it in an international break?

This is my thinking.

I think to buy him and assistants out of their contracts will cost approx £1m which is £1m they probably dont have or is better spent elsewhere.

Also the potentially embarrassing scenario of offering the job and it being knocked back if it drags out much longer.

29 minutes ago, LH31 said:

I think to buy him and assistants out of their contracts will cost approx £1m which is £1m they probably dont have or is better spent elsewhere.

I think it is money that Rankers just cant afford. Unless McInnes can wangle his own way out of his contract he is staying at Pittodrie.

What really rips my knitting (although it shouldn't as I should be used to it) are the many pundits who question what else McInnes can do at Pittodrie. They query how much better he can expect to do other than second place the league and the cups. 

As opposed to what at Ibrox?? The intergalactic Moon Man trophy? 

14 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

What really rips my knitting (although it shouldn't as I should be used to it) are the many pundits who question what else McInnes can do at Pittodrie. They query how much better he can expect to do other than second place the league and the cups. 

As opposed to what at Ibrox?? The intergalactic Moon Man trophy? 

On paper, Rankers have more resources than The Sheep. And again, on paper, Rankers have the potential to compete with Ceptic on resources. So, on paper, if McInnes wants to compete at the highest level in Scottish Football he should go to Gereyskull. And I'm told he is a big Huns fan.

So for the media it's a no-brainer. Plus they are keen to get back to the good old Old Firm rivalry they are used to. It makes their job so much easier.

On the other hand Rankers Newco are already in over their heads financially and a management basket case and McInnes would need to have a kangaroo loose in the upper paddock to even consider it. 

• 4 weeks later...

A newco operating with oldco tactics but somehow managing to find a way to do it with even less class. It’s the same with every player or coach they move for in Scotland. They move into the bigger pool in the UK or Europe and they get laughed at because they don’t have the clout.

Rangers have played this out in the back pages of the papers. They’ve capitalised on the patchy form Aberdeen have had which is no doubt partly because of all this speculation. 

Its hard to say going by reports if they’ve found the money. I’ve seen some this morning saying they’ve matched the release clause yet still been hunted and others saying Rangers have made a derisory offer and it’s up to McInnes to put the effort in to get himself to Ibrox. 

Its tapping up pure and simple. It’s gone on for so long by both OF sides nothing will ever be done about it. 

I'd imagine he'd want to hear what Sevco have to say hence the fact he's never ruled it out completely.

If they can meet the release clause then they can have the conversation and take it from there - Aberdeen as much as Rangers will want the issue put to bed asap so if it meant missing training, so be it rather than dragging it out.

Given the manner in which this has all played out is there a chance of him doing similar to what he did with Sunderland. I don’t think so. If he talks to Rangers then IMO it’s the beginning of the end for his time at Aberdeen whether he ends up at Ibrox or not. 

I cant imagine Milne being to impressed if this heart to heart they had last week took place and McInnes has now changed his tune. He seemed to be somewhat reluctantly sticking with Aberdeen and Sunday call for things to be sorted and speculation to end was basically a come and get me. 

McInnes didn’t do today’s media conference. That was left to Paul Sheerin. One Aberdeen supporters group chairman on the BBC site saying McInnes position is now untenable. 

Reading comments on Twitter Aberdeen fans are absolutely raging at the way things have gone. 

I think this could have been handled with a bit of class from all sides but it could potentially get messy in the coming days