The NFL draft

Gallus

I was just wondering if some of our forumites from across the pond or even members closer to home could clear something up. I am not a big NFL fan don't dislike it though, I understand the game and I like the draft in theory. Is it not open to manipulation though? You finish last you get first pick (fair enough) but do some teams not towards the end of the season not have this in mind and well not throw games but... maybe put out second string team etc?

I don't think this happens in the NFL. There's too many players in a team to go to them and tell them to lose for a high draft pick for the following season. Too many chances of this getting out to the press etc. These guys are also trying to impress the manager to get a higher contract or save their position in the team. I might be naive here but that's my opinion for what it's worth. 

Now the NBA on the other hand.......Look at the Lakers this past season. 

Edited by squared

I remember a couple of years ago when Andrew Luck was coming through and there was huge hype around him, fans of the struggling teams started a semi-serious "Suck for Luck" campaign, wanting their teams to come last so they could draft him!

It is a risk of course, but I think if you're on a poor team you're probably playing for your NFL future, so you're still going to want to impress.

I've always wondered - do you have to go to team who drafts you, what if they're s**t, money is pish and thousands of miles from home - is there a bit of jiggery pokery if a real star doesn't want to join worst team in the League before final drafts are announced??

2 hours ago, Dunc. said:

is there a bit of jiggery pokery if a real star doesn't want to join worst team in the League before final drafts are announced??

Teams can trade picks, so if a good team wants a good player they'll usually throw a handful of picks from later rounds and later years at the lowest ranked team.

For example; this year, the LA Rams wanted a QB. There were 2 good QBs in the draft so first 2 picks were definitely going to be those QBs. The Rams gave the Titans (who had the 1st overall pick) their 1st round pick (15th overall), two 2nd round picks, one 3rd round pick, one 1st round pick from 2017 and one 3rd round pick from 2017.

That's more a traditional transfer though (with a ridiculous amount of exchanges of course). What if a player from the West coast for example was drafted by a team thousands of miles away and turned round and said no. Has that ever happened? are there any test cases been trialled by players looking for greater choice. In context it's the equivalent of a Celtic first team player like Tierney being forced to go to United regardless of the fact they could play at a higher club and earn more. Is there any precedent of a player digging their heels in?

Here are 2 examples featuring 2 notable players.

In 1983, John Elway was drafted #1 overall by the Baltimore Colts.  The Colts badly needed a player like Elway, but he didn't want to play for them.  He threatened to quit football forever and play baseball instead.  Eventually, the Colts caved in and trade him to the Denver Broncos for two players and a first round draft pick the next year.

The other notable case of this happening was in 2004, when the San Diego Chargers selected Eli Manning #1 overall.  Manning had stated before the draft that he would not play for the Chargers, so the Chargers had made a deal with the New York Giants.  The deal was that San Diego would draft Manning, and New York would draft Philip Rivers and then trade Rivers plus several draft picks to San Diego for Manning.

You're only really going to see that with top players though. Lower picks will either be so happy just to get to the NFL they don't care, or, they'll be chucked in to the free agency pile if they kick up a fuss.