Diving for penalties, where do you stand?

gdevoy

Anticipating contact is cheating in my view. 

Kicking out a leg to ensure contact is cheating in my view. This is what Windass tried yesterday and was rightly booked. 

'Diving' in all it's forms is the one area where the video replay system is ideal. In the vast majority of cases, there's a break in play as the ball generally goes out of play. 

It's one of the minkiest things about the modern game. I hate it. 

1 minute ago, fmcc said:

Anticipating contact is cheating in my view. 

Kicking out a leg to ensure contact is cheating in my view. This is what Windass tried yesterday and was rightly booked. 

'Diving' in all it's forms is the one area where the video replay system is ideal. In the vast majority of cases, there's a break in play as the ball generally goes out of play. 

It's one of the minkiest things about the modern game. I hate it. 

I watched Tommy Burns in a Killie shirt hold the ball up in a corner, look for a pass and see nothing was on, then just move the ball to the side and knowing the defender was going to put a tackle in "allowed" himself to be tripped for a foul.

There was contact, he was tripped and the trip did cause him to fall over but he knew exactly what he was doing at all times. He was playing for a foul because there was nothing else on. Was that cheating?

14 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I watched Tommy Burns in a Killie shirt hold the ball up in a corner, look for a pass and see nothing was on, then just move the ball to the side and knowing the defender was going to put a tackle in "allowed" himself to be tripped for a foul.

There was contact, he was tripped and the trip did cause him to fall over but he knew exactly what he was doing at all times. He was playing for a foul because there was nothing else on. Was that cheating?

Of course not, he was tripped, therefore it's a legit foul. 

My comments around anticipating contact were coming from the point of view that a striker sometimes is going down before the keeper touches him or not. Thats cheating

A player should never go down unless they have been tackled/tripped with enough force to warrant it. 

Look at players like Didier Drogba for instance. Big beast of a player, overpowered players shoulder to shoulder but as soon as a wee touch to the leg happens in the box he's down like a tonne of bricks. It's a disgrace. 

Retrospective banning of players for dives should be happening more often. The Eduardo incident against Arsenal was an opportunity to start it. They banned him initially then it was rescinded. Thus giving a free go to all potential divers. 

If video comes into football to extent rugby has then it should be a quick, TMO check 30 seconds later max we find out penalty or no, dive or no.