KERBY: Funny tales from a 1990's Scottish childhood

Dillinger

On 19/08/2017 at 9:49 AM, Lroy said:

Eventually got round to reading this on holiday. Very good. Lots of nostalgia there. I spent the book trying to figure your age from the cultural references, eventually settled on a couple of years older than me; you're 50 days older than me.

Good stuff, glad you enjoyed it. 

If you get a moment, would you leave a review on amazon? It would be a huge help. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2016 at 7:54 PM, Blackislekillie said:

Great read. A bit (ok , a lot) after my time but still resonant of an Ayrshire childhood. Just we didnae have the technology. Only a stick. If you lived in one of the bought hooses. Well done. 

You should try "Where Did It All Go Right: Growing Up Normal In The Seventies" by Andrew Collins. He grew up in Northampton, a new town like Irvine, and it's pretty evocative of that time and that sort of environment. He mentions the Alpine lorry, which I always thought was solely a west of Scotland thing and links the rise of the soda stream to the decline of door step delivered lemonade.

• 3 weeks later...

Had never heard of the alpine lorry, sounds amazing. 

Was reminded of childhood a couple of times recently when the ice cream van visited our street. My wee boy has been enjoying rushing to get our shoes on and bomb out there in enough time. Daddy always buys a wee something too, be rude not to. 

Few people have asked me about the next book. It's about half written but progressing very slowly - pesky kids getting in the way! Fortunately the story of it us centred around parenthood, so life getting in the way is just giving me more material to draw on...

• 5 years later...

This was mentioned in today's Guardian in an interview with John Niven as the book he's currently reading. I thought I recognised the title on here (since it was a game I used to play in Cumnock in my younger days!)

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/oct/13/john-niven-my-comfort-read-alan-clarks-diaries

Well done Dillinger!

Edited by KFC_Macca

Not seen these posts before. I've just ordered the book having seen KFC-Maccas post. I did chuckle at the title of the other one Boaby! We used to play kerby back in the day and also Heiders. "Monkey" ( dreadful nickname), was so annoying at Heiders as he'd feign to heider it one way before heidering it the other. Threw me every time. Looking forward to reading yer book Dillinger! 

Edited by Shropshire_killie
Amended

On 10/13/2023 at 12:37 PM, Shropshire_killie said:

Not seen these posts before. I've just ordered the book having seen KFC-Maccas post. I did chuckle at the title of the other one Boaby! We used to play kerby back in the day and also Heiders. "Monkey" ( dreadful nickname), was so annoying at Heiders as he'd feign to heider it one way before heidering it the other. Threw me every time. Looking forward to reading yer book Dillinger! 

Thanks for checking it out, much appreciated! Hope you enjoy it and if you do, an Amazon review is always very welcome!