JJ

piffer

Just now, Brianstorm said:

I sell s**t at work for twenty pence but thees always some mug who will pay 3 quid, so I'll hold my stock until muggins comes along and I've sold it at 3 quid. The market rate isn't 3 quid. Never has been, may be one day in the future but unlikely, and you know what, the future could be 5 quid, but f**k the future I want my 3 quid now. I could sell for twenty pence as my cost is only 10p, that's big margins, but f**k it, I'll still sell it for 3 quid.  3 million or f**k off. 

Sounds like a market to me . Demand and supply meet , it’s a beautiful thing . 

When the English clubs go shopping in Europe they always over pay as those clubs know that when they knock them back they will take the huff and come back with an over inflated fee. It’s happens time and time again. Scottish clubs are in the minority when we sell at the first bid. 

Also the inverse is true which is why Salah was on loan for two years and eventually went for peanuts.  The ridiculous wages they pay also means that they can’t shift over expensive duds to the continent as no one will pick up the tab, hence all the loans of guys on huge salaries.

Transfer fees are almost always related to the salary the selling club are able to pay (and are paying), in conjunction with the remaining term on the players contract. Age, international and European experience will also factor in obviously but the first two will weigh far more heavily. That’s why Moult only went for £500k. He’s earning a Motherwell level wage and has 6 months left. Jones will go for somewhere between that and £750k I’d estimate to a side of similar stature to Preston. Mid table Championship so Norwich makes sense. He won’t have the same impact in that league as he does in SPL as defences are generally better, quicker and faster. Best of luck to him if he gets the chance to substantially increase his salary and profile, he’d go with my best wishes. 

There’s no point Killie hanging out for millions as it’ll never be offered. Take a decent offer and go and find another rough diamond a bigger team rejected and repeat. Sell onto Championship/League 1, who sell to Southampton, Stoke, Burnley, etc, who Liverpool, Utd might buy, who Barca, Real and their likes then might buy. Scottish football is just a small cog in the machine that makes football agents rich, but we’ll never get the big bucks for our talent as we don’t pay it to begin with.

5 hours ago, casual observer said:

Transfer fees are almost always related to the salary the selling club are able to pay (and are paying), in conjunction with the remaining term on the players contract. Age, international and European experience will also factor in obviously but the first two will weigh far more heavily. That’s why Moult only went for £500k. He’s earning a Motherwell level wage and has 6 months left. Jones will go for somewhere between that and £750k I’d estimate to a side of similar stature to Preston. Mid table Championship so Norwich makes sense. He won’t have the same impact in that league as he does in SPL as defences are generally better, quicker and faster. Best of luck to him if he gets the chance to substantially increase his salary and profile, he’d go with my best wishes. 

There’s no point Killie hanging out for millions as it’ll never be offered. Take a decent offer and go and find another rough diamond a bigger team rejected and repeat. Sell onto Championship/League 1, who sell to Southampton, Stoke, Burnley, etc, who Liverpool, Utd might buy, who Barca, Real and their likes then might buy. Scottish football is just a small cog in the machine that makes football agents rich, but we’ll never get the big bucks for our talent as we don’t pay it to begin with.

So Van Dyke, Coutiho were on millions at their respective clubs thats why they cost £72m and £142m respectively, I don't think so. Both clubs rejected earlier bids as they weren't enough for them and stood their ground and got much higher offers. Granted (according to media reports) Coutinho has paid £11.2m of his own transfer fee but Liverpool still received alot more than they were initially offered.

What I'm saying is we shouldn't be accepting small amounts for our players. First offers should be rejected and buying clubs asked for at least 1.5 times what a player is worth and be negotiated down.

2 hours ago, Bigbill said:

So Van Dyke, Coutiho were on millions at their respective clubs thats why they cost £72m and £142m respectively, I don't think so. Both clubs rejected earlier bids as they weren't enough for them and stood their ground and got much higher offers. Granted (according to media reports) Coutinho has paid £11.2m of his own transfer fee but Liverpool still received alot more than they were initially offered.

What I'm saying is we shouldn't be accepting small amounts for our players. First offers should be rejected and buying clubs asked for at least 1.5 times what a player is worth and be negotiated down.

They went for crazy money because their respective clubs can afford to not sell these players on the cheap. They have premier league tv money backing them up. The contract value is also a factor. Coutinho at say 100k a week for 5 years is 26 million anyway, plus compensation is required in case the team drops places in the league as a result.

The Kilmarnocks and Motherwells of this world take what they can get as we haven't the financial backing to offset the loss in transfer fee if the player goes on bosman. It's better now than a few years ago as we can hold out for 500k rather than the 200k or so we got for Kennedy or 300k for Bryson.

Here’s a theory . Rather than waste time and effort arguing about what a player is worth, why don’t we test it in the real world? We could , let me see , offer a player for sale and accept the highest bid . Like selling your house . Now , we have a wee pied a terre holiday place in Troon , probs get the thick end of quarter of a mill if we weren’t in a rush . Put it in Killie , 100k , not much more . Put it Notting Hill , 2 mill , easy . That’s the way of things . Point is , if clubs believe their assets are worth a lot more , then ask for a lot more . But they don’t because they aren’t . Plus there are no Scottish players in any of the top teams . None . 

25 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

Here’s a theory . Rather than waste time and effort arguing about what a player is worth, why don’t we test it in the real world? We could , let me see , offer a player for sale and accept the highest bid . Like selling your house . Now , we have a wee pied a terre holiday place in Troon , probs get the thick end of quarter of a mill if we weren’t in a rush . Put it in Killie , 100k , not much more . Put it Notting Hill , 2 mill , easy . That’s the way of things . Point is , if clubs believe their assets are worth a lot more , then ask for a lot more . But they don’t because they aren’t . Plus there are no Scottish players in any of the top teams . None . 

Andy Robertson?

39 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

What are you doing with all those spaces between words and commas, and words and periods? Why doesn't the first comma, or the interrogation point, deserve such a space?

Can we stop peddling the myth that Lee Clarke earned us 2m from 2 players? He earned us £1m for Souley, and deserves praise for that. Im not sure how many players he actually signed as opposed to loaned, but it was a fair number therefore we should say he earned us £x from y number of players. Plus, it could be argued that JJ did nothing under Clarke, and it was only after LM got into JJ that he started playing well. 

7 minutes ago, fmcc said:

Im not sure how many players he actually signed as opposed to loaned, but it was a fair number therefore we should say he earned us £x from y number of players.

Lee Clark signings

Miles Addison
Alex Henshall
Julien Faubert
Jamie Cobain
Josh Webb
Karleigh Osborne
Callum McFadzean -
Dapo Kayode
Martin Smith
Nathan Tyson
Souleymane Coulibaly
Jordan Jones
Scott Boyd

Around half of these - Henshall, Cobain, Webb, Osborne, McFadzean, Kayode - hardly kicked a ball for the club.

I think it was closer to £800k we got for Coulibaly.

Coutinho signed an improved deal at Anfield a year ago and was “rewarded” if reports from informed journalists are correct with a weekly wage of ~£150k, almost £8m a year. If you don’t think VVD signed his new improved 6 year deal 6 months earlier with Southampton for at least £40k a week I assume you don’t know much about Premier league salaries? So yes they were earning millions, and I’m amazed anyone would be daft enough to think guys at Coutinho’s level especially, in that league aren’t! It drives up the transfer value by getting longer term deals on bigger salaries agreed for clubs’ hottest prospects. It’s been Spurs business plan for years now.

To expect Killie with an average first team annual salary of what was it £55k? to play hardball with transfers of players to significantly bigger clubs is naive (putting it politely). We will have a valuation at board level with input from SSC, if it’s met then thanks and goodbye to any of our staff. 

3 hours ago, fmcc said:

Can we stop peddling the myth that Lee Clarke earned us 2m from 2 players? He earned us £1m for Souley, and deserves praise for that. Im not sure how many players he actually signed as opposed to loaned, but it was a fair number therefore we should say he earned us £x from y number of players. Plus, it could be argued that JJ did nothing under Clarke, and it was only after LM got into JJ that he started playing well. 

If we get a similar fee for Jones than we did Coulibaly then it's simple fact that we're earning a very good return from the crop of signings financially regardless of how you want to word it.

5 hours ago, skygod said:

Lee Clark signings

Miles Addison
Alex Henshall
Julien Faubert
Jamie Cobain
Josh Webb
Karleigh Osborne
Callum McFadzean -
Dapo Kayode
Martin Smith
Nathan Tyson
Souleymane Coulibaly
Jordan Jones
Scott Boyd

Around half of these - Henshall, Cobain, Webb, Osborne, McFadzean, Kayode - hardly kicked a ball for the club.

I think it was closer to £800k we got for Coulibaly.

who the hell was alex henshall? I genuinely have no memory of him at all:/

Henshall was an ex-Man City and Ipswich winger who now plays for Nuneaton - Clark certainly had an eye for a player on their way down.

He played in the Dundee Utd defeat and seven mins as a substitute against Partick Thistle.

Edited by skygod