The all Singing & all Dancing Jan 2018 Transfer Window Mega-Thread

Allan

The lad on loan is a development loan - meaning he will be in the youth squad as currently we don't have fit goalkeepers it seems at this club.

Leo will be #2 to Jamie and that's fine. He won't be on what Bell was on, and he has experience of first team football vs a younger keeper.

I would have liked to see another forward in, but overall how can we complain about this window in any way whatsoever?

1 minute ago, baz said:

You've seen what SC can do with a bunch of guys who had their heads down and couldn't buy a break, gradual change is required and I have every faith that things in football terms are going to plan.

We seem to at least have a plan in football terms now. That in itself is a great leap forward compared to the last few years.
The summer will be more interesting for those who expected big changes but there is no way I can see us keeping hold of Mulumbu then.
I wonder if he stayed with us this time because he promised SC that he would see out the season when he signed up

Really no need for 3 keepers at any level nowadays with stretched wage bills, would have presumed at any other time JMac was moving on but as having signed a new deal he'll be the no1. (and rightly so!)

Ah well, as soon as I saw the Tweet I thought Bassong, probably just shows how much Clarke has improved and also changed our opinion of where we are heading

6 minutes ago, historyman said:

Played a lot of games for Bury this season but unless there is another reason for his departure it looks like they don't rate him. I guess he will be the back-up.

I don’t know the reason for his leaving but he was on a non-contract basis so maybe he just walked away. 

After all, they are stranded at the bottom of the table and have had a couple of management changes since Clark was chased. 

Maybe he wanted back to Scotland. Whatever, he will be reasonable back-up until the end of the season. 

15 minutes ago, baz said:

I'm putting the disappointment down to the standards we've set recently. I'm delighted we've kept potentially the best midfielder in the league in Mulumbu despite the interest from France, and signed a £5m rated midfielder on loan to accompany him. We've moved on players who were surplus, loaned out guys who need more first team game time and also kept Jones who was wanted by Sevco who seem to think that they always get their man (in the short time they've been around).

I'll put money on SC being in for players we couldn't quite pull off, but at least he's trying and we can't afford to make wholesale changes. I'm not disappointed in the names mentioned that we didn't get. Naismith was never coming while we have the artificial pitch, if we change that as part of the Project Brave shake up then you can take it from me (and him) that he'll want to be here at that stage. Bassong would have been a good addition but only on our terms and not worth ripping up the wage budget for. You've seen what SC can do with a bunch of guys who had their heads down and couldn't buy a break, gradual change is required and I have every faith that things in football terms are going to plan.

And think what he could do if we had 1000 fans supporting him with a regular incone stream. Until that happens, attendances increase and/or we get investment, we we are where we are. All three would transform our fortunes. 

Not the most exciting January window but at least we have a reasonably balanced squad now. Would be nice to have seen a striker come in but if we can keep everyone relatively injury free we’ve shown we’ve enough about us to compete for top 6. 

I imagine we’ll see a bit more movement in the summer with high earners like Greer, Burke, Smith and even Dickers contracts expiring and probably moving on and giving SC a bit more in the way of wages to play with 

I think there probably has been a bit of a reality check in the Jan transfer dealings.

We remain a club with under 4,000 home fans and limited income. Prior to Saturday's defeat Clarke had only tasted defeat twice in 14 games. Funds will  be tight and the team was generally winning and performing well. Perhaps there has been some naivitie  (from myself included) in thinking Clarke would cut deep and replace a lot of the squad with higher wage earners or a better quality of player on a low wage when he was generally getting the best out of the current crew.

I'd guess that the combined wages of both keepers brought in is probably less than what Cammy Bell was on. I think Cammy Bell was brought in as number 1 expecting Macdonald to leave. I think the club probably called the Macdonald situation wrong and it was mutually beneficial to keep Macdonald, who now seems quite happy, and to let Bell go. So probably not the waste of a wage that it maybe appears.

36 minutes ago, Calummoore86 said:

Doesn't show much confidence in Devlin Mackay. The guys 21 now and not getting a sniff. Must be pretty disheartening when the sub keeper is released, then the manager brings in another two keepers in front of you.

He's injured and seems to have been for a while.

Both keepers are only signed until the summer and he is contracted to 2019 so he still has a chance, but he needs to prove his fitness, I think.

43 minutes ago, Calummoore86 said:

Doesn't show much confidence in Devlin Mackay. The guys 21 now and not getting a sniff. Must be pretty disheartening when the sub keeper is released, then the manager brings in another two keepers in front of you.

You need to be fit to get a sniff. He's currently injured and that seems to be common sadly for the kid.