Trump latest

Shropshire_killie

47 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

There's a difference in questioning what I see and believing, or refusing to disbelieve, bats**t internet conspiracy theories that have been debunked time and again. Facts are facts, nothing can change them.

There's a mind set that holds that if there is something on the internet, particularly if it supports one of your own prejudices, there must be some substance to it or it would not be there.

Here's a thing. There is an entire website dedicated to people who believe the earth is flat. I can take you outside and show you the earth's curved outline on the moon during a solar eclipse. I can show you ships disappearing over the horizon as the sail away from you but that will not take the flat earth society's website down. My point is, if it's on the internet it could be 100% true or it could be absolute horsehit. Go and look for yourself. 

59 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

There's a mind set that holds that if there is something on the internet, particularly if it supports one of your own prejudices, there must be some substance to it or it would not be there.

Here's a thing. There is an entire website dedicated to people who believe the earth is flat. I can take you outside and show you the earth's curved outline on the moon during a solar eclipse. I can show you ships disappearing over the horizon as the sail away from you but that will not take the flat earth society's website down. My point is, if it's on the internet it could be 100% true or it could be absolute horsehit. Go and look for yourself. 

Flat-earthers seem more like lonely people looking for companionship than anything else. Too many of them have disproved themselves countless times but still refuse to accept reality. Ridiculing them doesn't help, there is a great documentary on Netflix about it.

The danger comes from people who believe things like Qanon or pizzagate and convince themselves to become heroes by showing up to the pizza restaurant heavily armed to liberate the children supposedly locked up in the basement.

19 hours ago, Scooter said:

Haha well this thread has taken a strange turn, emails? Pizzagate? 9_9

Pizzagate has already been debunked as a conspiracy theory spread by the alt-right on 4chan, 8chan, and Twitter to get a prosecution over 'emails'.

After Truth, Disinformation And The Cost is a good documentary if anyone is in any doubt about it.

Watch you don't fall off the edge of that flat earth big chap! xD

My Brother-in-law goes in for all this bats**t pizzagate nonsense. Some of the stuff he’s shared on the harvesting of adrenochrome from missing kids and how Tom Hanks and George Clooney are responsible for the the COVID-19 outbreak due to their consumption of a bad batch of the stuff is beyond mental. Thankfully the Trump is working to close down these illegal brain farms and has moved hospital ships onto the Hudson River to deal with all these rescued kids. Worryingly Bill Gates is also trying to control us with 5G and coronavirus is a false pandemic, designed to make us accept a vaccine laced with nano-tech which will be activated by 5G and turn us all into slaves. 

I should point out he is a hun and thinks all lives matter (except for catholics and Muslims) and he believes statues should be protected from lefties. Thatcher, Churchill and Bill Struth are his heroes. These people live among us and in some cases are almost family. 

Edited by Zorro

I used to work with a flat earther who also believed the 2016 grand opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel through the Alps, was in fact a devil worshipping ceremony! It's on the internet so it must be true! And no amount of discussion would change his mind, sometimes when he was on a rant you could see the hysteria. I'm no expert on this but I've come to think it must be a form of schizophrenia.

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

You should watch the Florida residents arguing the case for and against wearing face masks, it's on the BBC news site. Jeezo, some of them are pretty scary, it sounds like they belive everything that they read or see on Facebook and Twitter. 

They voted for Trump remember 

I can see the attraction of some conspiracy theories, though there are precious few that stand up to any scrutiny at all. I think for a certain type of personality they can be impossible to resist, especially if by believing in them you become part of an exclusive "gang".

Having said that my wife who is not the "fruit loop" personality type at all does not believe in either dinosaurs or the moon landings, both of which she insists vehemently were faked.

42 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

I can see the attraction of some conspiracy theories, though there are precious few that stand up to any scrutiny at all. I think for a certain type of personality they can be impossible to resist, especially if by believing in them you become part of an exclusive "gang".

Having said that my wife who is not the "fruit loop" personality type at all does not believe in either dinosaurs or the moon landings, both of which she insists vehemently were faked.

So her two favourite films are "Jurassic WTF" and "Apollo - You're s**tting me". 

49 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

They left a corner reflector up there FFS. I can point a laser right at it and she can see the echo bouncing right back. Sometimes I dont think evidence us enough for people.

19 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

They left a corner reflector up there FFS. I can point a laser right at it and she can see the echo bouncing right back. Sometimes I dont think evidence us enough for people.

I reckon aliens left it there to test our faith in rocketry.  How they got through the Van Allen radiation belt in the 60s is a bit questionable.  When the space shuttle was taken to its highest ever orbit, (only about 600km from earths surface) the radiation was so bad, the astronauts were getting x rayed wearing their full space suits, helmets etc and that's still within the Earths magnetosphere - unlike the moon.

Edited by RAG

2 hours ago, RAG said:

I reckon aliens left it there to test our faith in rocketry.  How they got through the Van Allen radiation belt in the 60s is a bit questionable.  When the space shuttle was taken to its highest ever orbit, (only about 600km from earths surface) the radiation was so bad, the astronauts were getting x rayed wearing their full space suits, helmets etc and that's still within the Earths magnetosphere - unlike the moon.

Yeah the Van Allen belt question concerns me too. I am open to arguament you know. The official explanation is they passed through it at its thinnest point very quickly and it did not seem to be a problem. I was not that convinced by that. 

Another trickey curve ball for the big bang theory adherents is that there is not enough anti matter in the universe. And for those arguing against the "young earth creationists" there is not enough dust on the moon.  And finally Albert Einstein thought quantum mechanics was bollox. Just a few things they never taught you in 1st year physics.

17 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Yeah the Van Allen belt question concerns me too. I am open to arguament you know. The official explanation is they passed through it at its thinnest point very quickly and it did not seem to be a problem. I was not that convinced by that. 

The other one that gets me is the lunar buggy footage.  Watch that in youtube at 1.5x speed and it 100%, looks like it's moving (and kicking up sand particles) under Earth gravity..

It seems obvious the Roswell UFO incident is the key to answering those tricky space travel questions. UFO crashes in 1947. Then a few years to reverse engineer and understand the tech. A few more years to sell the idea to Congress or whatever committee is doing oversight on spending. Bang a spaceship together, another couple of years. Job done, Neil and the boys get a jolly to the moon at the end of the 60’s. 

Btw Pastafarians believe that fake dinosaur bones were buried by the FSM to test our faith. Iirc the ‘bones’ are actually older than the earth and dinosaurs didn’t actually have bones (although they did exist). 

13 hours ago, Zorro said:

UFO crashes in 1947. Then a few years to reverse engineer and understand the tech.

1280px-Colour_avrocar_59.jpg

Avro Canada VZ-9 Avrocar (1959).

Performance

Maximum speed: 300 mph (480 km/h, 260 kn) (estimated), 35 mph (56 km/h) (actual)

Range: 995 mi (1,601 km, 865 nmi) (estimated), 79 mi (127 km) (actual)

Service ceiling: 10,000 ft (3,000 m) (estimated), 3 ft (0.91 m) (actual)

14 minutes ago, RAG said:

Performance

Maximum speed: 300 mph (480 km/h, 260 kn) (estimated), 35 mph (56 km/h) (actual)

Reading some of the development issues, it looks like the little green men had the common sense to destroy the propulsion and flight controls, to prevent them falling into our hands before we were ready for them. 

Edited by Zorro

On 6/26/2020 at 8:35 AM, RAG said:

Performance

It looks like one of these hoovers that goes about cleaning the carpet. Obviously a smaller scale one.

18 minutes ago, EKX16 said:

It looks like one of these hoovers that goes about cleaning the carpet. Obviously a smaller scale one.

Haha Good spot!  A 2020 robotic hoover's probably got about a million times the processing power of a 'UFO' from 1959!!

Sounds ridiculous, but an iPhone 11 is about 100,000 times more powerful than the 1969 Apollo 11 computer!

Edited by RAG

On 6/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, Zorro said:

Worryingly Bill Gates is also trying to control us with 5G and coronavirus is a false pandemic, designed to make us accept a vaccine laced with nano-tech which will be activated by 5G and turn us all into slaves. 

I was told that by a friend who is very much into conspiracy theories. Also if a vaccine for this coronavirus turns up and gates has anything to do with it he won't be taking it. I'm not sure I would trust Bill gates either. I take most things on the internet with a pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, EKX16 said:

I was told that by a friend who is very much into conspiracy theories. Also if a vaccine for this coronavirus turns up and gates has anything to do with it he won't be taking it. I'm not sure I would trust Bill gates either. I take most things on the internet with a pinch of salt.

I don't think you need to worry. I suspect that despite the BoJo / BBC optimistic bulls**t an effective vaccination is some way off if one is ever found. As I understand it we will probably need a triple vaccine like for TB because the virus mutates so much. Also it's the same type of virus as the common cold and look how sucessful we have been at getting a vaccine against that.

Probably a combination of herd immunity and some kind of modified social distancing will be our only effective defence.