Cities you liked

Souleycouley93

Germany - I’m currently trying to learn German . I love the country been to Munich on 4 occasions . Excellent city . Planning to go back to Berlin maybe this year . Would certainly recommend Munich to anyone who hasn’t been . Shows how far Britain is behind the Germans in terms of everything

. Have any of you been to Munich or a good place in Germany ?

Amsterdam going there again in 2 months time . Defo a city to get a weekend in . Hotels are quite expensive but my flights to Amsterdam from Edinburgh are 40£ return easy jet . What a city . Obviously has it’s selling points . 1 hour flight . Go see Ajax aswell what a stadium . 

Edited by Souleycouley93

We went to the winter market in Koln about 5-6 years ago. Cracking city with plenty to do. Didn't go to a game though (the missus said no).

Also went to Dortmund for 2 weeks during the 2006 World Cup. Nice enough place, but if it wasn't for the fact that the World Cup was on I don't know what else there would have been to do

I love Paulaner beer from Munich. Amazing . Thanks for your replies . I heard the Rhine area is pretty industrial and not particularly great for sights football on other hand many areas are able to be accessed quickly . 

Berlin is definitely a go . I like the feel of the city . Very free . Can do a lot of cool stuff . 

Amsterdam is a similar feeling the rules are relaxed so there is no hassle . 

2 hours ago, Nigel4 said:

We went to the winter market in Koln about 5-6 years ago. Cracking city with plenty to do. Didn't go to a game though (the missus said no).

Also went to Dortmund for 2 weeks during the 2006 World Cup. Nice enough place, but if it wasn't for the fact that the World Cup was on I don't know what else there would have been to do

Dusseldorf is much better than Dortmund. That's where we stayed for the Scotland game in Dortmund.

8 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Germany - I’m currently trying to learn German . I love the country been to Munich on 4 occasions . Excellent city . Planning to go back to Berlin maybe this year . Would certainly recommend Munich to anyone who hasn’t been . Shows how far Britain is behind the Germans in terms of everything

. Have any of you been to Munich or a good place in Germany ?

Amsterdam going there again in 2 months time . Defo a city to get a weekend in . Hotels are quite expensive but my flights to Amsterdam from Edinburgh are 40£ return easy jet . What a city . Obviously has it’s selling points . 1 hour flight . Go see Ajax aswell what a stadium . 

Love Berlin. Considering Munich, what makes it good? 

Mostar - beautiful and fascinating with the recent history

Riga - nice retro soviet feel

Moscow - frisson of being in Red Square

St Petersburg - fascinating, but less accessible than Moscow

Washington - compact, great history

Sienna - small and perfectly formed

Nice - love the mix of seaside and old town. Surrounding area great to visit

London - compact and history 

Gdansk - unexpectedly pretty 

Stockholm - beautiful 

New York - the best, been four times 

46 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Love Berlin. Considering Munich, what makes it good? 

Mostar - beautiful and fascinating with the recent history

Riga - nice retro soviet feel

Moscow - frisson of being in Red Square

St Petersburg - fascinating, but less accessible than Moscow

Washington - compact, great history

Sienna - small and perfectly formed

Nice - love the mix of seaside and old town. Surrounding area great to visit

London - compact and history 

Gdansk - unexpectedly pretty 

Stockholm - beautiful 

New York - the best, been four times 

Munich is incredible. The Olympic Park is good . Also the English garden and the beer is brilliant . The city has a lot of nice walks and shopping areas and that . Can get train 20 minutes to the lake starnberg it’s nice in the summer . Also Allianz arena is some place . Summer is best time . Oktoberfest also meant to be class . 

Paris; lovely at any time of the year, nice walking city, plenty to do and loads of history to see.

London is a good walking city too, although the bikes are brilliant and cheap for getting off the beaten track and round the parks; cycled across the Abbey Road zebra crossing :)  Loads of history around every corner and great for shopping.

Washington DC; driving in is surreal, over the Arlington Memorial Bridge with it's white marble and gold statues, then you come to the Romanesque architecture of the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument in the background, it's like driving into a Roman movie set.

Venice, another surreal and beautiful place like nowhere else, history over every bridge and round every corner, eyes a-poppin' at the sights usually seen in magazines. Tight alleys full of wee bars and restaurants.

Los Angeles, fantastic weather and so much to experience, from mountain to city to sea, love it... going back later this year. B|