Cities you liked

Souleycouley93

2 hours ago, cammy_boy said:

Warsaw is very modern as it was totaly flattened in the war but the old town was rebuilt and there are a lot of hiden gems. It is massivly spread out due to said flattening. To be fair I quite like some Soviet era achitecture the Palace of Science and Culture being a good example. The contrast with the old town is cool. Probably the main reason I like Berlin so much is the contrast between 18th century, 1930's, Soviet era grittyness and modern. Warsaw has some of these features but definetly not as cool. Id go if you can. Wont cost you much. We go 3 nights flights and 4 star accomodation right in the rigging for £93 and its dirt cheap when there. 

I liked the Soviet feel of Riga 

Edited by Mclean07

19 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

I liked the Soviet feel of Riga 

I liked the Soviet side.  The Motor Museum was right in the Soviet suburbs and sold Absinthe in the cafe! Also went to nearby Netto where they had 5L of beer for 50p.

Having a beer in the Zoo was quite surreal,  complete with outside toilet! 

Lots of themed pubs including a fire fighting one,  garlic resteraunt,  a medieval one worth only candle light and a bar themed lime a 1960 Soviet apartment! 

Trip to Sigulda on train was fun although the cable car emergency brake jamming on wasn't! Also went on a train to seaside with 3+3 wooden benches. Comfortable! 

Edited by Isle of Wight Exile

20 hours ago, cammy_boy said:

My mate said he liked Riga but prefered Tallinn.

I was a day in Tallin and, lovely though it was, the interesting part was very small, and a day was enough. Riga was much bigger and more of a proper city feel. The museum featuring the various occupations, Nazi and Soviet, made you realise how lucky we are. 

Interesting topic - like places bit out of the way with few tourists and all that brings:

Eastern Europe - Bucharest (2001 it was the Wild East with hundreds of packs of stray dogs in the streets - however Ceausescu's architecture and city planning are overpowering, brutally ugly but totally captivating, Belgrade, Kiev (just too far for short breaks), St Petersburg - think Warsaw like others is my favourite in Europe.

Asia - loads here - Delhi, Beijing and yes Pyongyang.

Middle East - Esfahan in Iran is a brilliant city, Istanbul, Aleppo - real tragic whats happened was a gem of a city so welcoming as was everywhere else in Syria (2004 trip), Morocco tops is Fez.

All these places have fantastic heritage and sites to visit. 

Edited by Guard Lane

Went to Marseille last year, loved it but was a wee bit expensive, went up to Avignon for the day as well.

Paris, Berlin and Rome were all great, passed through Naples on route to Pompeii liked the look of it.

In the UK, Liverpool is the best, also love Manchester, London, Newcastle, the Northumberland coast and Whitby.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, Mclean07 said:

Missed ou Istanbul! Fantastic place. Huge. We were on a cruise and woke up to being right in the centre of the city. Sat on out balcony astounded by the views.

I've never felt as unsafe in a city as I did in Istanbul by night. 

4 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Found Marseille a bit intimidating . Quite a lot of Northern African guys wandering about especially at the old port drinking and in groups  . One of the places I felt a bit on edge I have been to . Wouldn’t go back in a hurry .

Cant say I felt that way but I wasnt out and about very late at night.

I haven’t been for a good number of years, and wouldn’t resort to describing places as Trumpian s**tholes, but I’m surprised anyone would list Marseille as a favourite city!

Nearby Martigues is/used to be a little gem if you could ignore the surrounding oil refineries and the flyover above it, and Cassis and the Calanques are/used to be very picturesque. 

But Marseille used to just be a gateway airport to Provence for me. 

18 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Hoping myself, @Squirrelhumper @under5and @Mojike and Bodwill be able to add Tirana to this list, but I deem it extremely unlikely. But at £8.70 a night for digs then who are we to complain. Stab-proof vests at the ready.

Tirana really interesting and worth a few days - have a beer in the home and once off limits presendial complex of communist leader Enver Hoxha.