The Great Killie Goalies Discussion

killie1961

I started going to games in the season we won promotion to the premier league and I never thought you could do better than Geddes in goals. I remember pleading with my dad to get the tartan goalie top rather than the home kit and I got the chance to wear it on the telly when an old program called N.B. was doing a feature on the Scottish Claymores American football team.

His stop on the line last game of the promotion season which came off the bar and he clutched to his chest will stick with me the rest of my days.

We have always seemed to have at least one top rate goalkeeper in the squad, amazes me when you see some teams struggle in that position to make a choice and stick with it.

Didn't he go to pieces after losing a very soft goal in the World Cup qualifier at Hampden against Czechoslovakia, which we won 2-1 to go to Germany 1974?

He didn't even make the squad - we took David Harvey, Thomson Allan and Jim Stewart.

Edited by skygod

11 hours ago, skygod said:

Forsyth played most of the championship season - Ferguson only played the last seven matches plus another - his debut - when Forsyth was on international duty (some home international matches were scheduled on the same day as league programmes). 

Ferguson kept the shirt the following season and Forsyth left for Southampton in December 1965. 

Ferguson’s deputy was possibly Ian Dick. No substitutes in those days so reserve goalies didn’t get much exposure.

Sandy McLaughlan started the 64/65 season as Forsyth’s deputy but left for Sunderland in September.

When Ferguson left for West Ham in the summer of 1967, McLaughlan was brought back from Sunderland.  

It's kind of amazing that, when England played at Hampden in 1964, Forsyth was in goal yet, when they returned in 1966, he had been replaced in goal for both Killie and Scotland by Ferguson.

From Sandy McLaughlan (Scottish League) through Forsyth, Ferguson, McLaughlan again, Ally Hunter, Jim Stewart and Alan McCulloch (Scottish League) we had an unbroken run of keepers who were capped.

Great post. 

10 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

Going back years we have always had a reputation of bringing through top keepers, As a kid i thought Jim Stewart was fantastic , Big strong guy with the agility of a gazelle, When Boro bought him i thought he could never be replaced, But Mcculloch grasped his chance and imo became even better, Amazed no bigger clubs came in for him, If he had got his chance for Scotland i think he would have been snapped up.Only a single u21 cap too.

Even when opposition got a penalty i was conifident he would save them. Gret shot stopper, Club Legend !

Alan Mcculloch was the best keeper for coming off his line for crosses thats why i rate him better than jim stewart

I can remember all the Killie keepers I have seen drop a real clanger like MacDonald did against Hibs recently but I can't ever remember McCullouch selling a goal like that. He was so consistently good. 

On the other hand, I don't think I ever remember Dubourdeau making a save. He's the worst I have seen by a long way. 

2 minutes ago, Ycfc1922 said:

Jim Stewart bought me a pie and a bovril back in the day when I was a wee boy so for that reason he gets my vote :-)) Without food induced bribes it would be Alan McCulloch. 

You wouldn't get that kind of thing happening these days

... he would either give up after waiting 20 minutes in the queue or there would be sod all left like today. 

McCullough was keeper when I started going to RP and was another in a magnificent tradition of great Killie keepers.

In the 40ish years since my debut we've only really had 3 first choice goalies who were poor ... Meldrum, Doobydoo and Samson.  There's been a few horrors as backup right enough in Brown, Holland, McKellar, Harpur .... but first choice has been pretty consistent. 

Edit: McCulloch has always been my favourite and will take some shifting.

Edited by chubbs

18 hours ago, Ycfc1922 said:

Jim Stewart bought me a pie and a bovril back in the day when I was a wee boy so for that reason he gets my vote :-)) Without food induced bribes it would be Alan McCulloch. 

He was my hero when I was at school. He even sent me a postcard from the Scotland HQ in Germany during the 1974 World Cup. I remember going round to his house where he showed me all the goalkeeper jerseys he had acquired along the way. Gutted when he went to Middlesborough, though fully understood why. Even more gutted when he went back to Rangers.

That said, thought McCulloch was a better keeper. Like many have said, he should have been Scotland's number 1