Special

Souleycouley93

5 hours ago, Guard Lane said:

You tend to support the team your father supported - brought up on tales of games against Eintract, Leeds and Real Madrid, heartbreak at losing semi finals and cup finals when Kilmarnock were the favourites. You can only be a Killie fan when both your parents have stood on the terraces at Tynecastle on that day in April 1965!

It would no doubt help, but not the only condition otherwise there will be no fans left on a few years....

I live in Sydney now and sometimes drink with an older guy who supports West Brom, and I follow Everton aswell.  We talk about the premiership a lot but one day he asked me why I don’t support rangers or Celtic. I told him I support Kilmarnock, most people not knowing who we are, he looked in amazement and said, ‘Kilmarnock....really?’

He said one of his best mates that he plays bowls with is a die hard killie fan, been here a long long time, in his 60’s now, and only lives about 10 minutes from me. For any oldies in here his dad played for us years ago, think his name was Fred Milloy, and we’re going to meet up for a pint very soon!

Also one of my best memories here was going to the hibs supporters club with my hibee mate, wearing my killie top absolutely pished, winning 4-1 I think it was, first game of the season and winding up about 25 Hibees !

How I managed to get out of there without getting battered I don’t know!

10 minutes ago, Rusty Oz said:

I live in Sydney now and sometimes drink with an older guy who supports West Brom, and I follow Everton aswell.  We talk about the premiership a lot but one day he asked me why I don’t support rangers or Celtic. I told him I support Kilmarnock, most people not knowing who we are, he looked in amazement and said, ‘Kilmarnock....really?’

He said one of his best mates that he plays bowls with is a die hard killie fan, been here a long long time, in his 60’s now, and only lives about 10 minutes from me. For any oldies in here his dad played for us years ago, think his name was Fred Milloy, and we’re going to meet up for a pint very soon!

You are truly blessed as Fred Milloy was a Killie legend from the 30s/40s.

Edited by Jimmy Superscot

I grew up in Kilmarnock following the Killie week in week got loads of great memories from rugby park one of them being open day of new stadium remember thinking wow this is the best place in the world. Got me proper hooked. Ive now got a 7yr old son who's Killie daft goes to every game with me. Only place he's not been is Dingwall and Aberdeen.. Really hope we have a good cup run as I'm dying to take him to a final.. He watches the 2012 vids a lot so he's buzzing for it.. Happy days being a Killie! 

Similar situation to the first post. Grew up in Barrhead, Uncle from Killie. Dad a former Celtic fan who instructed me to "follow anyone you want, just not Celtic or Rangers". Managed to convinced my uncle to take me to Rugby Park. Hes never been a mad follower of football, but me and my old man went along. 1-1 draw with Rangers thanks to a last minute Johnson penalty.  

That was the last time my uncle was at RP. My Dad is now a Killie fan through me. He wouldnt have it any other way, and even refers to Killie as "us" and "we" now. That day in 2012 when we lifted that cup, he was as happy as he'd ever been at a football game.

Love Killie and everything its gave me in life. 

Remember the drive home from 2007 final against Hibs leaving at Full time hearing them belting out sunshine on leith in background . Hairs on my neck standing up . Few years before (01)seeing us lose to Celtic after a few Larson goals . Thinking will we ever get a win . Remember Dargo running from halfway in semi in 2001 against st Mirren on a freezing night at Hampden . Also dean Shiels scoring against the unwashed in last minute of extra time in semi in 2012. Personal favourite was the semi final where Naisy my absolute hero at time was unplayable that third goal was incredible . Obviously the DVT oblivion that followed was incredible. Think this is our year again to go far . 

3 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

My Dad was also a Celtic fan before attending rugby park himself at early teens . He said it was down to Kenny Dalglish and how much he liked him as a player . Lot of s**te if you ask me ;)

My dad was a celtic fan too. Rest of my family are Killie.. My two wee brothers come along too. 

Born in Dumfries lived 2 minutes from Palmerston Park supported QOS man and boy but don't see them to often. Moved to Glasgow 1995. Went to see Killie with my best mate when at school in Newton Mearns. Didn't really become a Killie fan until Tommy Burns arrived. Followed them through thick and thin since then. 

Memories 97 cup win, 02 league cup win beating Gets 3-0 at Ibrox. But I also remember losing to Brechin on a Tuesday night, 3 division football, Hibs game on the Friday night, the great players Burns, Montgomerie, McPherson, Mitchell, Clarke, McDicken, the Killie Pie.

However for me the best bit is when you are in Glasgow and you see a face you know, away from the place you normally see them, you have never spoken to the person, but you recognise them and instantly know he/she is a Killie fan. And that means they are alright.

Killie great club, proud history, brilliant fans.

KTID 

Edited by Garnkirk20

Born in Dumfries lived 2 minutes from Palmerston Park supported QOS man and boy but don't see them to often. Moved to Glasgow 1975. Went to see Killie with my best mate when at school in Newton Mearns. Didn't really become a Killie fan until Tommy Burns arrived. Followed them through thick and thin since then. 

Memories 97 cup win, 02 league cup win beating Gets 3-0 at Ibrox. But I also remember losing to Brechin on a Tuesday night, 3 division football, Hubs game on the Friday night, the great players Burns, Montgomerie, McPherson, Mitchell, Clarke, McDicken, the Killie Pie.

However for me the best bit is when you are in Glasgow and you see a face you know, away from the place you normally see them, you have never spoken to the person, but you recognise them and instantly know he/she is a Killie fan. And that means they are alright.

Killie great club, proud history, brilliant fans.

KTID 

Edited by Garnkirk20

As for Killie, I grew up in Saltcoats. Quite a few Killie fans in my school but mostly Celtic. My mums family are all Celtic, her dad was in Lisbon 67 etc. Best part is that although all my mums siblings are Celtic fans, out of the 12 grandchildren, 7 of them are Killie fans and 5 of us go regularly!

My dad grew up in Onthank/Shortlees and he and my aunt took me to games as a kid. His dad was an Ayr fan so we had a lucky escape!

Some of my best mates are guys I've met through following Killie. Been all over Europe with them following Killie/Scotland/going to Ibiza etc. Been to countless weddings/stags etc of boys I've met through Killie.

Was in Park Suite on Saturday with over 120 boys most of whom I've known for years and wouldn't have it any other way.

it's just what we do on a Saturday - go and watch Killie.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, Garnkirk20 said:

Ha, I know exactly what you mean!

I was in Melbourne years ago and some guy shouted "Mon the Killie" in a pub as he recognised me from games!

58 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

it's just what we do on a Saturday - go and watch Killie.

Or what we used to do :(

Praying for a cup final so I can come back home!

Been there through the tough years and the game before I left was the 0-0 draw with Falkirk to stay up.

Gutted I’m missing out on the SC era but a cup final or a trip to Europe will more than certainly make up for it for me!

Quite a lot of Doonhamer connections coming up here.

I moved to Dumfries from the Irvine valley in 1960 as a youngster aged 10 but had already been introduced to RP by my grandfather. I still remember that first game was against Airdrie in the late 50s and although I can't recall the score, I can still smell the piped tobacco surrounding me in the main stand.

Followed Queens at Palmerston for a few years until old enough to travel up by train to see Killie as they always remained my first team. Often got lifted over the turnstyle. One cup trip against QOS was shared with three friends who were Queens fans and Killie absolutely murdered them. We had gone into one of the town's fancy stores for lunch ( think it was Lauders ) and thought we were really posh   ------- they had white tablecloths.  Kilmarnock always seemed to be a busy bustling town with crowds of shoppers, fancy shops and tremendous Christmas lights every year back in the 60s.

Still a season ticket holder and attend away games when possible. Shared the good, bad and awful times but like many of us enjoying the current freshness around the place. Big games included the Easter Road survival with Tommy Burns, the Ibrox Cup Final, getting hammered at Hampden by Hibs but beating Celtic in the league cup final made up for that. Top players of the past Andy Kerr, Billy Dickson, Frank Beattie. More recently Freddie, Varielle, and our most exciting goalie Leko. Few have made the impact of Boydie and we've been lucky to have such a fantastic servant.

Willie Waddell was always our top manager but maybe we can hold onto Steve Clarke long enough for him to compete.  Let's hope so.

As I've mentioned on his forum before, my first Killie 'experience' was the 1957 League Cup final against Falkirk back in the days when they could actually beat us occasionally in big games.

Freezing weather but I was warm as toast, tucked up inside my pregnant mum's belly.

You may be surprised that I don't actually remember much of the experience but the club has definitely been in my blood since even before I was born and will be until I die.

As an aside, when I hear complaints from fans about the obstructed view obtained at Celtic Park, no one had a worse view of the match at Hampden than me............could see f**k all.

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu

10 hours ago, Garnkirk20 said:

This

My dad never knew the offside rule, never mind support a team so I got to choose who to support as long as it wasn't the old firm. Naturally when told not to support Rangers I wanted a rangers top and to go to Ibrox...until I actually went and hated every second of a 4-2 win vs Motherwell. That resentment has only grown ¬¬.

First went to rugby park in 1998 and thanks to Jim McSherry loved every game, was well looked-after (spoilt) after an operation when I was on crutches/in a wheelchair for a year. Watched training where the hotel is now, met Bobby Williamson and the players on match days before the warm up, boxes and boxes of memorabilia ..European pendants, programmes etc. 

Just missed the 97 cup win and too young for European away games but I'm optimistic they days aren't far away! 

I only got into football when i moved to Dundonald aged 10 and started going into killie games. A few of us from school used to go but i dont think any of them go now. Funnily enough i got my dad into supporting killie as i used to get him to take me to RP on a saturday when we first moved there. Moved to Dunoon in 1984 and still travel  over for all home games and a fair few aways. Now got 2 boys of my own(19+23) who are both killie daft. I told them when they were young that they didnt need to support killie but they were not allowed to follow a*r,thistle or either of the bigots but they chose wisely. Proudest moment was the cup win in 2012 when i had my boys and my late dad with me,so happy my dad got to see us win a trophy as he missed 1997. Its not always been great following killie but i wouldnt change any of it,makes you appreciate the good times when they come KTID

Being a killie fan is special to me because:

It expresses a refusal to be polarised - to be beyond the norm.
To me every howl of anger and pain from a killie fan is a howl of anger and pain for minorities across the globe - as, too, those all too infrequent  moments of sheer, uncontrollable joy (from Burke's last minute equaliser against the Huns, to Big D's winner against sellic) are the celebration of the underdog and the downtrodden - moments when you truly know what it is to be alive!
It is not easy being addicted to, or perchance obsessed with, a wee team: I have been going since I was a boy, I have passed this addiction to my eldest son - I have often apologised to him for this. 
But it's really all about who you are is it not? As Sailor (Nic Cage) said in 'Wild at Heart': 

"Did I ever tell ya that this here jacket represents a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom?"

Good readin aw yer posts