Jordan Jones

Charlie

2 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I'm pretty gutted to hear that he's turned down a new deal to be honest. I hoped he would sign an extension to allow us to get market value for him... especially as he was in the footballing wilderness.

Not surprised if true should sell him close season to get his market value

I'd be trying hard to get Jones to sign up for another year with a release clause favourable for both club and player. 

Jones stock won't get much higher than it is just now. He'll most likely want to go home to England at some point and the cash that comes with it. Love him to stay but can't force him.

Even still with a year left we can still get a good price.

I’m sure there must have been discussions around contract extension - whether or not got to point of formal offer. He’s an asset and in our interests to tie him up longer - if only to increase the sale price. Equally though, it’s not surprising that he would not have encouraged it. He’s young, ambitious, English and in demand right now. People saying in everyone’s interest for extended deal with buy out are off the mark I’m afraid. From the players perspective they want to keep the barriers to clubs coming in from them as low as possible. It’s in his interest to run his contract down and our interest to sell him when value is highest. That’s now ( summer). Let’s hope he has a great end to season, drives us to 4th and leaves for Brighton for £1.2 million. He’ll go with my best wishes.

47 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

It’s in his interest to run his contract down.....

This.

He was quoted as saying that, out of respect for the opportunity the club had given him, he would never demand to leave. But he didn't say that he would sign a new contract.

It's a game of cat and mouse between player and club. The player might want to run down his contract so that he can maximise his earnings from any future move. Or he might want to increase his security by extending his contract. But he shouldn't be too eager to do the latter, using the former as leverage.

If the club decides to keep the player, they will want to tie him down to a new contract, either to secure an asset or to increase his transfer value. 

There's also the joker factor that the player might decide to run his contract down, be seriously injured in the final year of his contract and wish that he had put pen to paper.

I think in Jones' case Killie will privately be quite happy to sell this summer and make a decent profit to strengthen the squad.   

Edited by skygod

If he has no interest in extending his contract then it will be in our best interests to sell him this summer. Hopefully he can continue his good form until the end of the season and more teams on the level of Villa and Brighton will be interested and drive his value up 

It is a balancing act for the player but if I was him, I would be tempted to sign the extension and take the better wages between now and the end of the season.

Kilmarnock as a business (not a football team), will still look to sell him during the summer and use the fee to balance the books/get into the black/sign more players.

In the meantime, JJ get's more money, more security and the move he will want.

2 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Happy to take spread bet on the final fee with Gallus and richaway!! 

Hope more but no recent precedent to expect more given 1 year left on contract. Some on this forum were prepared to accept 500kbin January. I think 1.2 million represents some sort of bidding competition. 

I honestly wouldn't take £1.2 million for him and i'm not sure the club have to at the moment. He is a young British left sided player with bags of flair and awesome pace who has just broken into the Northern Ireland team.

The last game I was at was the evening game at home to St Johnstone and he absolutely destroyed them!!

Next season he would help us finish higher up the table and if we want bigger crowds you need players like him to give fans some excitement. With some extra fans and good league position that 1.2 isn't all that great.

If we did let him go for that I would be disappointed, not all that surprised but defo disappointed. To some Brian's 5 million might sound mental but with the money floating around down south it could be a decent starting point for negotiations imo. 

Gallus...I think hes top drawer ( I was tempted after the st j game to swap picture of kids for jj on my phone). 1.2 million is a big number though for player we got on free. Even if jj single handedly could add 1000 to the crowd over say 20 home games next season, we talking 20 quid a pop so 400k. There are league places and merchandise add ons perhaps. Point is if he want to go ( and I think he does) now is the time. 1 year on contract no4mally anchors what we’ll get but in his case I do think there could be a bidding war. I think north of 1 million is where we’ll end up ( assuming to championship club or lower prem). Just an opinion.

If you think about it, we got almost £2m for Naismith ten years ago.

Assuming we don't go down that old route of taking whatever Rangers offer (which we have ready rejected), then it's down south and @Brianstorm is on the money. Demand £5m and settle for £4m.

Too many Scots clubs take hundreds of thousands only to see their player move on for millions a year or two later. 

Lennon talking about 5 mill tonight for mcginn....maybe we moving into new era in what best of Scottish based talent can command ( id pay a bit more for mcginn but accept players in same band).....hope so...let’s see..my number is 1.2 million. Did noisy have 1 year left on deal too.? I can’t remember detail.

I don’t think we’ll get more than £1m... £5m is absolutely absurd and comments like that would see some of you into the looney bin. 

I think McGinn is worth more than Jones but Lennon’s valuation is mental for a player going into the final year of his deal. 

Can’t see either player signing extensions, the market favours players who run down their contracts so I think JJ will be away this summer for a fee in the region of £1m. 

Edited by Bobby14