Dundee match thread

skygod

On 14/02/2018 at 2:05 PM, skygod said:

When the kicker is at the penalty spot, the other players should be at least 10 yards from the penalty spot. Not only that, they are strung out along a line 26 yards long. Some of them could even be behind him/her.

I think that's asking a lot of his/her peripheral vision. 

Image result for referee position penalty kick

Hardly,

If referee him/her open their body and look up the way to box it’s not that difficult to see who is moving across the line / the penalty taker if he’s stopping still in his run up. Lino watches the keeper / goal line. Generally players do not spread themselves across the entire box so it’s an even smaller area to watch. 

Its just lazy refereeing in that they can’t take control between themselves and the Lino. Other countries seem to manage it 

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Fletch said:

The fact that there's a section of the support who don't rate Wilson confuses me to no end.

Why should we "rate" him after 1 goal?

Give the boy time then we can judge.

Saying he's a talent or not a talent at this early stage is silly.

5 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Wilson was subject to a lot of criticism from a section of our support last season and early on in this. I agree that he’s got to be given time but that hasn’t been afforded to him by some. 

7 minutes ago, piffer said:

Wilson was subject to a lot of criticism from a section of our support last season and early on in this. I agree that he’s got to be given time but that hasn’t been afforded to him by some. 

Shouldn't be criticized but let's be honest, he's not exactly been great has he?

Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Shouldn't be criticized but let's be honest, he's not exactly been great has he?

Time will tell.

Depends what your looking for to be honest. IMO he has the potential to be a midfielder we can build around. I don’t see him as the Bryson or Kelly who will go box to box, create chances and pitch in with their shares of goals. To me he will be the long term replacement for Dicker. A player who will keep it simple and do what’s needed to allow others to do their best work.

To say he’s not been great is harsh. In his debut season he got passed from pillar to post. Asked to come in and play at CB he didn’t let himself down. Cover at RB likewise. An inexperienced player asked to hold together a calamitous midfield and again he gave it his best and was nowhere near the worst. 

Now is when we will see what he’s made of. With proper coaching in a decent set up and a clearly defined role in the team. 

39 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Why is it silly?  The guy who found George Best saw him for half and hour, phoned Matt Busby and told him he’d found him a diamond.  It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

talent shines through,  but it has to be coupled with determination, hard work, an attentive ear and a willing mind.

if young ian has those he has the basic talent to make it.  If he doesn’t then his talent will go largely under developed and he won’t make it as far as he could.

Wilson has suffered the same fate under previous managers as Jackson Irvine and Mark O'Hara did. Shunted between defence and midfield when a gap arose so that they didn't play regularly in their best position. Wilson is a talented lad and will hopefully become a first team regular but maybe not this season with Mulumbu and Tshibola competing for places in  midfield.

1 hour ago, Guff92 said:

Time will tell.

I'm not commenting on one game. I'm commenting on how he's looked over the 30 or so that he's played.

My opinion is he's been continually impressive since he came into the team. Did well in midfield, did well at centre half, did well at right back. As far as I'm concerned for a boy at 19 he does look a talent. He's defensively sound and he finds a pass more often than not, that combined with his size and strength I think he could (and probably will) go far.

He's awkward and unnatural looking on the ball though, I know that puts a panic into people.

We'll agree to disagree, I've been impressed and you haven't.