How do we keep Clarke?

Zorro

For a

7 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I’m proposing some inventiveness. Bonuses for meeting certain targets etc. Someone mentioned doubling the home crowd would help keep him; how about he gets a percentage of the income every extra fan generates for the club? Shares for achieving top six? A percentage of transfer fees? In any other business, perks to top up a lower salary would be normal. Why not for the best manager we’ve had in years?

For any other manager, those would be great incentives.

They would probably be spare change for Clarke.

If he's feeling hard done to at any time, I'm sure he'll tell BB soon enough.

11 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I’m proposing some inventiveness. Bonuses for meeting certain targets etc. Someone mentioned doubling the home crowd would help keep him; how about he gets a percentage of the income every extra fan generates for the club? Shares for achieving top six? A percentage of transfer fees? In any other business, perks to top up a lower salary would be normal. Why not for the best manager we’ve had in years?

How do we know that he’s not got some incentives already written into his contract ? 

Just now, skygod said:

For a

For any other manager, those would be great incentives.

They would probably be spare change for Clarke.

If he's feeling hard done to at any time, I'm sure he'll tell BB soon enough.

In your world he’s probably so rich he’s doing the job for free, but I doubt he’s doing this “hobby” to stand still. He’s ambitious and a lack of ambition by the club will be the main reason he would leave imo. What does it say about our ambition if we don’t even try to keep him?

3 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

I'm not sure what the issue with this question is, the better Clarke does, the more interest he will get from down south. I'd like to see us offer him a long term contract at the end of the season. 5 years, see what happens

Forget about how well we’re doing and the feel good factor, there’s plenty more Locke’s, Clark’s and McCullochs in the sea when SC leaves. We’re too wee to have nice stuff. 

You don't know what his motivation is.

I'm saying I doubt that it's financial. I think it's about rebuilding his reputation and him lining his own pocket isn't going to buy better players, or get the training centre built.

If he wanted more money, he'd have been touting himself for the Scotland job like McLeish was.

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

No. I’m insinuating it’s possible to keep him. I’m not as pessimistic as you. 

Sorry but what? He's OUR manager on a 2 1/2 year deal which he signed on the basis he wanted to help the club and you're making out he'll be gone first chance he gets.  What exactly were you expecting the replies to be? Other than duct tape and cable ties or following him around begging him to stay while feeding him grapes (which I am willing to do if it would help). I'm not really sure if you're trolling or just very stupid 

Edited by Killie lad

1 minute ago, skygod said:

You don't know what his motivation is.

I'm saying I doubt that it's financial. I think it's about rebuilding his reputation and him lining his own pocket isn't going to buy better players, or get the training centre built.

If he wanted more money, he'd have been touting himself for the Scotland job like McLeish was.

You don’t know what his motivation is either or how financially secure he is. Doesn’t stop you giving your opinion. 

I’m not saying his motivation is financial either, but pushing the boat out a bit, would be a sign of intent. Building a training ground would be a sign of intent. Bonuses for growing the crowds would be a sign of intent. A grass pitch would be a sign of intent. They say the club is progressive and keen to improve. Those are factors which might sway an ambitious man. 

Here's my tuppence worth on all of this i think Steve Clarke is an honourable man who will see out his commitment to us for at least two years but as has been said he is still ambitious and as his family seem to be still based in England then maybe he will eventually return south. What if Arsene Wenger is to be replaced in the summer and say Brendan fancies that gig then maybe SC would be tempted by ceptic who whether we like to admit it or not are a 'bigger' club than us .  Of course all of this is hypothetical but as somebody once said 'its a funny old game' and that is the reality in all of this so lets all just enjoy the here and now and all pull in the one direction and see where it takes us!!

6 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

Sorry but what? He's OUR manager on a 2 1/2 year deal which he signed on the basis he wanted to help the club and you're making out he'll be gone first chance he gets.  What exactly were you expecting the replies to be? Other than duct tape and cable ties or following him around begging him to stay while feeding him grapes (which I am willing to do if it would help) 

I can’t remember which article it was in, but I read SC had been sounded out on a number of occasions about joining the club; I’d suggest he didn’t wake up one day this season and decide he wanted to help the club. I think it’s more likely we sold him a more ambitious vision this time. One which afforded him the opportunity to fulfill his ambitions. 

However if you’re right and he’s only doing the job as a favour, I’m sure we’d have given him a contract where he can leave anytime he wants for a nominal fee. 

Clarke has an opportunity here to establish us again as a side competing for European spots. McInnes has stuck with Aberdeen when other jobs presented itself. 

He spoke about how in England you are always six weeks away from the sack. Here he can help shape an entire club. No director of football. No Chinese billionaire who will sack him at the first sign of pressure. 

He can have a major part in the development of our training complex and has full autonomy over his local club.

Think Wenger at Arsenal. He has the job for as long as he wants it. He's indispensable and I am convinced he will see the contract out. By that time the complex will be ready and he might fancy just staying a while longer to see what he can do with the right facilities. 

17 minutes ago, Garvis said:

I’m afraid his stock is rising every week. Everyone is talking about him, all the huns at my work want him at castle greyskull. 

More chance of him dragging his baws over broken glass than taking that job. Only place in Scotland I could see him move would be the Tattiedome.

Suits him to be near elderly parents here for the moment but his kids and grandkids are down South. He said he sees himself being here for a couple if years and I hope he does that. Would love to see him stay longer but if he can build a base and groom a succesor then we should settle for that.

45 minutes ago, Zorro said:

You don’t know what his motivation is either or how financially secure he is. Doesn’t stop you giving your opinion. 

I’m not saying his motivation is financial either, but pushing the boat out a bit, would be a sign of intent. Building a training ground would be a sign of intent. Bonuses for growing the crowds would be a sign of intent. A grass pitch would be a sign of intent. They say the club is progressive and keen to improve. Those are factors which might sway an ambitious man. 

Ah, of course it's the pitch. 

7 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Tbh I wouldn’t blame him for leaving for any club if we’re not going to show the ambition to try and keep him. 

You don't know what is going on behind the scenes in the boardroom, do you ? The board are aware of how well Clarke is doing and may be working on plans to offer him a more lucrative contract. The worrying time will be when the big Championship clubs in England miss out on promotion and are looking for another manager to take them to the gravy train that is the Premiership, or the teams that are relegated from the Premiership start looking for somebody who can take them straight back. 

We have just got good news about the Scotland job yes he will be on peoples radars that just shows he is a top coach I think he will be here for the long hall West Brom sacked him reading sacked him even know he was trying to build something he is certainly building something special at killie he is our chosen one so hands off