Marciano

Mark Robertson

On 2/24/2018 at 6:06 PM, KTID96 said:

Marciano is a good shot stopper but was poor with his distribution and his handling of crosses today I thought.

Is he Jamie McDonald in disguise then. Jamie was poor at their 2nd. He should have man handled the striker out of his way. probably one of the worse keepers we have ever had at dealing with crosses. Just watch Aberdeen next week. They will pepper our 6 yard box with high balls.

2 hours ago, harley said:

Is he Jamie McDonald in disguise then. Jamie was poor at their 2nd. He should have man handled the striker out of his way. probably one of the worse keepers we have ever had at dealing with crosses. Just watch Aberdeen next week. They will pepper our 6 yard box with high balls.

Zorro seems to have created a second account.. 

2 hours ago, harley said:

I wouldn’t have said he was at fault. The defenders who weren’t protecting the keeper or those who lost their men and allowed a Hibs player an unchallenged header far more at fault. I thought Hibs had a plan at set pieces though. They seemed to contest the area around the keeper and the balls were zipped in. MacDonalds command of the area isn’t his biggest strength and they clearly tried to exploit that.

9 hours ago, harley said:

Colin meldrum

10 hours ago, harley said:

We need to sort out how we defend well-taken corners that arrive inside/ on the 6 yard line. It isn't working - teams know that MacDonald is always at risk of being distracted by "attention" and wont then get out for the cross. Both Dundee goals came from corner into that area, one of the Hibs ones too, and obviously Hibs away was the root of all this as every team that saw that game now knows what "works" against Killie. Like someone else said if the other team wants to put a man on Jamie that's fine - but we shouldn't "match" it by putting one of ours on top of him as well it just causes clutter and distracts attention from attacking the ball - if the opponent impedes Jamie it's a foul to us if he distracts him he'll be offside (but knowing scottish refs that mightn't be a banker to be fair). 

8 hours ago, piffer said:

I thought Hibs had a plan at set pieces though. They seemed to contest the area around the keeper and the balls were zipped in. MacDonalds command of the area isn’t his biggest strength and they clearly tried to exploit that.

Agreed, they did the same at Easter Road with their corners. 

3 hours ago, harley said:

Right enough. He used to drop a cross as well. Every team tries to block the opposition goalie. That tactic usually ends with a free kick for the goalie even when he fouls the striker. Jamie just stands there & lets them bully him.

MacDonald got so caught up in dealing with the Hibs player on Saturday, that he was back on his heels and behind the goal line when the ball came in. With a better starting position he should have been able to get at least a fist on the ball. However, I’d be reluctant to blame him on this occasion. 

I do wonder if it would be worth sending out a player to stand in front of the player taking the corners. Might force them to cross the ball with a higher trajectory or further from our six yard box. 

5 hours ago, Zorro said:

MacDonald got so caught up in dealing with the Hibs player on Saturday, that he was back on his heels and behind the goal line when the ball came in. With a better starting position he should have been able to get at least a fist on the ball. However, I’d be reluctant to blame him on this occasion. 

I do wonder if it would be worth sending out a player to stand in front of the player taking the corners. Might force them to cross the ball with a higher trajectory or further from our six yard box. 

A very reasonable and constructive suggestion Zorro!

10 hours ago, Bigbill said:

McDonald should start doing a Vinnie Jones on opposition players they'll soon stop standing so close to him or if that doesn't work a quick flick at their sack should work.

I agree, I was taught a how to perform a wee back-handed flick to the baws on the blind side of the ref. Always worked a treat when defending set pieces

2 hours ago, Mark Robertson said:

I agree, I was taught a how to perform a wee back-handed flick to the baws on the blind side of the ref. Always worked a treat when defending set pieces

xD

Or Jamie/the defender tasked with protecting him could take a leaf out of big Kirk's book and niggle at the toes of the striker!

In seriousness though, the 'keeper shouldn't need protection - he should be imposing himself on the striker, not the other way around. The goalkeeper gets quite a lot of protection from these kind of attacking gimmicks, he should use this to his advantage instead of staying rooted to his line.

Easy for me to say I guess, I'm no Bobby Geddes, Dragoje or big Marsh!!